TRADE: Sabres acquire Jeff Skinner

Hoss

1 minute ago, Alkoholist said:

If that's the case then why does Zach Bogosian still have a NMC clause?

According to capfriendly:  Original contract signed included a NMC from 2015-16 to 2019-20 - Trade Clause was VOIDED when player was traded to Sabres on Feb 11, 2015

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/zach-bogosian

Just now, Sabel79 said:

I remember this popping up in the context of another player, I forget who.  Actually, maybe it was Bogo.  As I recall, the answer was a team can honor the NMC if it wants to, but it isn't required.  

I think this is right.

Just now, Eleven said:

According to capfriendly:  Original contract signed included a NMC from 2015-16 to 2019-20 - Trade Clause was VOIDED when player was traded to Sabres on Feb 11, 2015

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/zach-bogosian

And the news just keeps getting better! I thought it was still in place, but I'm pretty sure we exposed him in the expansion draft and we couldn't have done that if his NMC was still in effect.

Found it, sort of: Article 11.8 of the CBA says an acquiring team isn't bound by a NMC unless it elects to do so and submits this in writing to central registry.  This is specifically worded to cover a team acquiring a player prior to the effective date of a NMC, but I would have to imagine it covers situations where the clause is waived, as there's no other mechanism to regulate that.  

Watching some highlights...looks like Skinner has the hands to actually put in a shootout goal? Does this mean we don't have to rely on an AHL skill guy to put the puck in the net in the SO?

Love the trade and the direction JBOT is steering this team. He added two top-6 LWs, our biggest need, for the price of a 2nd-tier prospect, 2019 2nd rounder, conditional 2019 4th rounder,  2020 3rd and a 6th rounder (4 picks that have a looong shot of ever panning out).

Do we think JBOT is done here? I have to imagine Larsson and Girgensons are somehow getting moved and I'm not expecting much. Maybe they're moved to replace the draft fodder we gave up in 2020 for Sheary and Skinner. We've seen what those two are capable of. At this point I'd rather see them moved off the team for peanuts if it means opening up a spot for a hungry youngster.

Well you turned Pu'ing off a Cliff into a 3 time 30 goal scorer, who has missed all but 5 games in the last 4-5 seasons.  Who can skate and creates offensive zone pressure 5v5.  He definitely has his warts, but for the cost of admission..it's a fine price to pay.

4 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Depends what type of deal he's looking for.  If he is ok with a front loaded 3-4 year deal, I think it happens. 

Botterill's moves since the trade deadline have not only made the team better on the ice, but he has given himself a lot of cap flexibility in the out years.  I don't think he is looking to give up that flexibilty on a longer-term Skinner contract.  It also may depend on what Sams contract is going to look like. 

I believe he knows who his three big bread winners are and the rest are revolving pieces. 

You don't give a long term contract (aka the Moulson Contract) to a revolving piece.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

The sabres was one of few teams he actually wanted to go to.    I think we got a keeper but we will see.

So was Moulson.

I just don't use that he wanted to come here to give allegiance to a player. He earns it over time and his play with me.

I like Cliff Pu., but we have remember that he was the 69th overall pick 3 years after we took Baptiste 69th.  Their numbers in the CHL are very similar, with Nick being the better goal scorer and Pu the better playmaker.  Carolina needs Pu to become Braydan Point (79th in 2014) not Baptiste for this deal to work out for them.

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

As for Jeff Skinner's plus/minus, Carolina's goaltending has been atrocious. The team's SV% last season was .897% versus the league average of .912%

This is where TRpm comes in to play.     

Skinner was a -27 but and also had a -19 TRpm... that's on the level of Okposo bad.     

A TRpm of 0 means he was on par with his teammates.   A -19 TRpm means he was a huge liability compared to the rest of his team.

I can't read this whole thread, but ...

WOW!!

The Sabres actually traded a prospect and picks for a real good (not great, but good ... very good?) NHL veteran player.  I can't remember the last time something like this happened.

He may not sign a contract, but he is interested enough to waive a full NMC to come to the Sabres.  This tells me that he like it here enough to do that, or / and, the Canes are a bigger mess than the Sabres right now, which is probably the case.

2 hours ago, woods-racer said:

So was Moulson.

I just don't use that he wanted to come here to give allegiance to a player. He earns it over time and his play with me.

I'm not talking about giving allegiance, I'm saying we have a good player that might stick around and might score up to 40 goals with Eichel if lucky.

He waives his NMC to come here, Moulson was a UFA Who'm we used to get to the capfloor in our tank years.   No other team was paying him that money.

Lets not compare him to Moulson.

I'm good with a longer-term contract if it doesn't break the bank (it's Moulson+Pominville cash to keep him after Skinner puts up 30+ with Eichel or Mittelstadt this season). But I also like planning for the alternative. Feed him O-zone starts and if need be, move him at the deadline. There's always someone desperate at the deadline...  Tomas Tatar netted a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, as an example.

I’m curious if JB has ever talked to Carolina about Justin Faulk or has any interest. If so, how much more would it have taken to turn this deal into Faulk and Skinner?

I think Faulk has more value than this but they also didn’t get good value for Skinner, so maybe something like McCabe, Pu, a 1st, 2nd and 6th could’ve made it happen?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.