TRADE: Sabres acquire Jeff Skinner

Hoss

Skinner never gained the trust in Carolina of his coaches to get the top line minutes his production would otherwise indicate that he should.  I think he is out to prove that he can score/play with good players and earn that trust where he is deserving of top dollar deal.  I think it is a calculated gamble on his part that he can feather his bed here and get paid either by the Sabres or in UFA. 

If Skinner proves to be a good 1st line winger, I think you have to find a way to sign him.  You don’t let those guys go hoping your prospect pool fills the hole.  Genuine 1st line wingers are too few in number to expect that.

Your prospect poool fills in the other lines with revolving, inexpensive talent on a regualt basis.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, 3putt said:

Skinner never gained the trust in Carolina of his coaches to get the top line minutes his production would otherwise indicate that he should.  I think he is out to prove that he can score/play with good players and earn that trust where he is deserving of top dollar deal.  I think it is a calculated gamble on his part that he can feather his bed here and get paid either by the Sabres or in UFA. 

I think this is right. And it really does remain to be seen whether inadequacies as a 2-way player will limit what he brings to the Sabres. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I know you mean value as an outside addition, but Skinner can't kiss Hossa's jock, so he probably won't have that kind of impact. 

Can't say I'd recommend kissing that guy's jock in any event -- never know whether that skin condition could be contagious.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

I'd stay away from Hossa's jock.  Things might get really itchy.

Beat me to it.

• Haha (+1) 1

Didn't see this posted: https://www.diebytheblade.com/2018/8/2/17646534/jason-botterill-the-retooling-of-the-buffalo-sabres-top-six-jeff-skinner-carolina-hurricanes

Months of Dialogue

Both Jason Botterill and Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell spoke today about how the two sides have discussed this trade for some time. Wadell stated this was one of the hardest trades he’s completed and it went back about four months with discussions.

“We talked about a lot of different scenarios over the last few months,” said Botterill. It’s no secret that the Hurricanes were interested in acquiring O’Reilly back around the NHL Draft in June. However, the Sabres general manager indicated that the circumstances changed around the draft with the deals that were made.

“Both teams making trades at the draft I think changed things around a bit.”

This reads to me like Botterill wanted both Skinner and Hanifin at least as far back as the draft and was leveraging O'Reilly, who was desired by the Canes, to do it.

When Hanifin got traded to Calgary on the second day of the draft, Botterill shopped O'Reilly around and would trade him to the best offer available shortly before Buffalo had to pay O'Reilly's $7.5M bonus.  That offer from STL would completely retool the bottom six plus picks.

Now O'Reilly was gone and Carolina still wanted to move Skinner, but CAR was locked into Skinner's NTC.  Having no major piece to acquire from Buffalo and no Hanifin to use to leverage for more, they took beans in exchange for Skinner.

Maybe CAR would have been better off trading us Skinner and Hanifin, because they likely could have gotten O'Reilly and maybe more.  Maybe it was a financial limitation from CAR ownership.

Quoting tags are all up when posting on mobile, but you get the idea.

On 8/7/2018 at 9:30 AM, Doohickie said:

There are 7-8 million reasons he won't sign him.

JBot didn't spend the big bux on Kaner, he might not spend them on Skinner either.  I think he'll spend the money on franchise players like Eichel, Dahlin, Mitts, but I'm not sure he'll spend premium dollars on the next tier of players.  Lots of factors will go into JBot's decision, but a key piece is what he has left if Skinner goes. 

He traded ROR because he has faith in Mittelstadt.  If he has similar faith in some of the ascending wingers, I could see him parlaying Skinner into futures at the end of the year, especially if the market will pay him more than JBot is willing to pay.  He's not going to break the bank on a long term deal to keep Skinner if talent is forcing its way up from Rochester.  It would fit JBot's model of building the team from the farm club up.

The better Skinner does, the less likely that the Sabres will re-sign him.  If he scores as much as Kane, he's as good as gone, because I just don't think JBot will spend Kane money on him.  But we'll see.

We will see...depends on how many bad contracts he can rid the Sabres of in the meantime...

• Like (+1) 1

I hope he stays here. a 30+ goal sniper with speed is the exact type of player I like. 

I seem to hear a lot (on this forum and on the radio) that he didn't really 'fit in' or wasn't 'comfortable' in Carolina with his role on the team and with the coaches/management.  If that is/was true, I'm hopeful he'll sign here based on the following:

-The Sabres are willing to basically give him the money they were going to pay O'Reilly if he was still here, as long as Skinner puts up the goals

-Skinner is willing to sign for that $7 million a year in Buffalo, seeing he fits in with his new teammates and LIKES being in Buffalo, a 1.5 hour drive from his home in Toronto (where he spends his summers).

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/2/2018 at 8:38 PM, TrueBlueGED said:

I don't have time to read through 5 pages right now, so I'll kept this short: this was a great trade from an asset perspective. We get a legit 1st liner for close to peanuts. 

But I still hate Skinner. I seriously hate him. I'll never be a fan even if he scores 30 on Jack's wing. 

Edit: And not to beat a dead horse, but if we still had O'Reilly, I'd be downright excited for the top of this forward group. 

What if he scores 30...before Christmas?

:)

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

in the words of Teddy KGB..."pay dat man hees money!"

Yep!  Skinner and Eichel are clicking.  Eichel hasn't had a winger at Skinner's caliber.  And Skinner hasn't had a center at Eichel's level.  W/ the talent/chemistry they have Botterill has to do what he can to make a Skinner a long time Sabre.  They are scary good!!

20 minutes ago, GoPre said:

Yep!  Skinner and Eichel are clicking.  Eichel hasn't had a winger at Skinner's caliber.  And Skinner hasn't had a center at Eichel's level.  W/ the talent/chemistry they have Botterill has to do what he can to make a Skinner a long time Sabre.  They are scary good!!

Skinner is on a 50+ goal pace right now. the sooner we sign him the better, but, me thinks Skinner will wait until late as possible and get a monster contract and we have to pay him, as you said, he is the best winger Eichel has ever had.

2 minutes ago, Ross Rhea said:

Not to mention he wanted to come here

I think JBots will get him signed.

Yeah i think this is overlooked, reports were that the only team he waived his clause for was Buffalo. Before even stepping on the ice, he mentioned that he's excited to play with Eichel who'd be the best center he's ever played with. He always looks happy too, every goal that he scores and the team scores, he's smiling. Hopefully he doesnt ask for Eichel like salary.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.