TRADE: Sabres acquire Jeff Skinner

Hoss

I think at least 1 of Larsson or Zemgus or Baloo are gone before the season starts. I am just happy that they will all come off the team this year and that Pommers and Moulson do too.

Without being buried in the minors that is: 16.075million in dead cap coming off the books or 20% of our cap roughly. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

By definition a rental is someone you acquire at or near the trade deadline that you are not resigning and just using for a playoff run. 

My definition is different than yours. Kane was a rental. Sometimes players are rented and a putchase is decided after. IMO Skinner still falls just outside it. He still has a full season to go.

Edited by Weave

Question on O Zone starts.  Skinners’ O Zone starts have averaged over 60% for the last 5 years.  Is it a reflection that the player is a D zone liability or a reflection that his highest and best use is creating offense?

His possession numbers look solid as does his giveaway/takeaway numbers.  Jbot acquired Sobotka and Berglund as D zone forwards.

What, No way........

I total my car in an accident last week that my daughter and I thankfully walk away from and I am on the mend with a mild concussion staying off computers and I see this. Wow  

This is crazy,,,.,, Just pinched myself,,,ouch, ok bump is still there though, I did have my head examined so okay I'll believe it.....

I'm in now ,,, nothing but playoffs will do...

Phil, you got a team with talent and speed now so you better get this right  

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Question on O Zone starts.  Skinners’ O Zone starts have averaged over 60% for the last 5 years.  Is it a reflection that the player is a D zone liability or a reflection that his highest and best use is creating offense?

His possession numbers look solid as does his giveaway/takeaway numbers.  Jbot acquired Sobotka and Berglund as D zone forwards.

The phrase used on the Canes forum was "defensive black hole."  I don't know if he's truly that bad.  Hearing about the takeaway/giveaway and possession makes me feel a little better.  It sounds like the first impression of Skinner as a rookie was Jack Eichel ceiling and when he was more Evander Kane-ish, they turned on him.

8 minutes ago, R_Dudley said:

What, No way........

I total my car in an accident last week that my daughter and I thankfully walk away from and I am on the mend with a mild concussion staying off computers and I see this. Wow  

This is crazy,,,.,, Just pinched myself,,,ouch, ok bump is still there though, I did have my head examined so okay I'll believe it.....

Glad you're okay

23 minutes ago, Weave said:

My definition is different than yours. Kane was a rental. Sometimes players are rented and a putchase is decided after. IMO Skinner still falls just outside it. He still has a full season to go.

That's fair. I will change will not to may resign. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, R_Dudley said:

What, No way........

I think this trade brings us to "bubble team" status.  Things are going to have to really click for the Sabres to make the playoffs.  I like to think they will.  It's certainly a much stronger possibility than prior to this trade.

I've always liked Skinner, if for no other reason than he seemed to score the goals that sucked the life out of the Sabres.  I want that on my side for a change.

Anyone else notice that every single player we have trade for this summer has a positive Corsi at even strength? The exception is Sobotka's 49.4% but considering the rest of his career is positive and he had 55% D zone starts I think I will give him a pass on that. 

As for Jeff Skinner's plus/minus, Carolina's goaltending has been atrocious. The team's SV% last season was .897% versus the league average of .912%

Edited by LGR4GM

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Anyone else notice that every single player we have trade for this summer has a positive Corsi at even strength? The exception is Sobotka's 49.4% but considering the rest of his career is positive and he had 55% D zone starts I think I will give him a pass on that. 

Believe it or not, but yes. I have noticed that every player we've acquired so far has had a huge emphasis on even strength play. Botteril constantly brings this up too

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Glad you're okay

That's fair. I will change will not to may resign. 

Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think this trade brings us to "bubble team" status.  Things are going to have to really click for the Sabres to make the playoffs.  I like to think they will.  It's certainly a much stronger possibility than prior to this trade.

I've always liked Skinner, if for no other reason than he seemed to score the goals that sucked the life out of the Sabres.  I want that on my side for a change.

I agree with at least a bubble team and coaching is really what is going to make or break how well this comes together..

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It makes me wonder what this team would look like if we had Botterill at the helm in place of ExGMTM.

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

So if we do not make the playoffs this year, you are fine with giving Pu and a 2nd away for nothing?

I might.  I'm the guy that is all about our prospects and all about futures.  But FFS we have to start winning soon.  How much longer until someone like Eichel becomes discontent and wants out?  I don't want Dahlin or Mitts to start getting ingrained to losing like Risto may have.  It's not due or die we make the playoffs this year but we had better be within striking distance come March, not out of it by Halloween.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.