Sabres Captain and Alternates 2018-19

Doohickie

Who do you think will be the Sabres leadership corps this season?  Most people seem to think with ROR getting traded, this is Jack's team now and that he might get the C.  But what of the assistants?  For the record, three A's from last year's team are still here:  Bogo, Okposo and Jack.

I think Jack will in fact get the C.  I think Dahlin starts his career with an A on his chest, and then I think it's a toss-up between Casey and Reino for the other A.

What say you?

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

Jack - C

Reinhart - A

Risto - A

Okposo, Bogo and Scandella are other A options.

If Jack doesn’t get the C something is wrong.

Agree.    Sam gets an A unless his RFA does not go well and he signs a two year bridge.   Then maybe KO or Bogo.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Leaders lead. Letters get sewn on sweaters.

This is true.

Can a team start a season with out any player with a letter on their sweater?  Legit question.

It's great the the upgrade did not remove the Pomminstein awesomeness.

+++++

Seriously, though if Jack does not have the 'C' on his sweater there is something much more wrong with the Sabres than I thought.  That is not to say that I thin he will be a good captain.  I don't think he would be now, but maybe he will grow into it in about 5 years.

As for 'A' I think it will be Okposo and Scandella.

I don't understand why so many think Risto is "A" material. Everything I've heard/read about him indicate he's not an ideal candidate to be a leader. 

You also need your leaders to be there to lead on the ice, so I'm hoping Bogo gets his letter stripped this year. Part of me wants to see Reino with a letter but I think you'll need actual veterans to buoy Jack's fledgling captaincy. Okposo will keep his letter and I'm thinking the other A goes to one of the new faces brought in, fresh ideas from a veteran to "change" the "culture" in the "room", so to speak.

C - Jack

A - Okposo

A - Berglund

2 minutes ago, N S said:

This is true.

Can a team start a season with out any player with a letter on their sweater?  Legit question.

It's great the the upgrade did not remove the Pomminstein awesomeness.

+++++

Seriously, though if Jack does not have the 'C' on his sweater there is something much more wrong with the Sabres than I thought.  That is not to say that I thin he will be a good captain.  I don't think he would be now, but maybe he will grow into it in about 5 years.

As for 'A' I think it will be Okposo and Scandella.

Though the rule book states that a team SHALL appoint a captain, pretty sure that as long as you're good w/ no players being allowed to speak to the refs, the team doesn't HAVE to have a C &/or A's.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Though the rule book states that a team SHALL appoint a captain, pretty sure that as long as you're good w/ no players being allowed to speak to the refs, the team doesn't HAVE to have a C &/or A's.

They don’t have to give letter but they’re required to designate someone as the “captain” basically so they will speak to the ref. 

Eichel has shown signs of being a leader. I’m not saying he’s shown signs of being THE leader, but it’s definitely been more than any other player on the team. I saw N S suggest it’d be “five years.” It’s not going to be that long. It’ll be either immediate or one/two years at most.

Jack - C

Okposo - A

Risto or Scandella - A

I would think if Risto really wanted it he should get it.  If he is not really interested then Scandella would be fine.

With everything that went on with Okposo and how the team "rallied" around him, he should be a "no brainer".

If the captaincy doesn’t go to Eichel, bad things, man.   There is no longer a rival in terms of talent, experience, or time in seat.  The selection of someone else, or some committee process, is an indictment.  It’s year four and he’ll cost $10 million.  “Growing into it” in two to five years is ... disappointing.

Who'd have thought this would be a question when he was drafted?  If I recall, his competitiveness, leadership, complete game, etc., were off sets to McDavid’s pure speed and skill advantage when justifying talking about the two, together.  McDavid was the “what”, or most skilled.  Eichel was the “who”, or most ... the guy.

I'm waiting.

That said, Eichel, Okposo and Risto.  Hope becomes a strategy.

Disclaimer ...  I’ve never met the young man.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Neo said:

If the captaincy doesn’t go to Eichel, bad things, man.   There is no longer a rival in terms of talent, experience, or time in seat.  The selection of someone else, or some committee process, is an indictment.  It’s year four and he’ll cost $10 million.  “Growing into it” in two to five years is ... disappointing.

Who'd have thought this would be a question when he was drafted?  If I recall, his competitiveness, leadership, complete game, etc., were off sets to McDavid’s pure speed and skill advantage when justifying talking about the two, together.  McDavid was the “what”, or most skilled.  Eichel was the “who”, or most ... the guy.

I'm waiting.

This so much. I have seen written at least three times now that it's no longer about Jack, it's about Dahlin. 

We threw away two goddamn seasons for Jack less than 4 years ago with that as a large part of the justification.

3 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

I don't understand why so many think Risto is "A" material. Everything I've heard/read about him indicate he's not an ideal candidate to be a leader. 

You also need your leaders to be there to lead on the ice, so I'm hoping Bogo gets his letter stripped this year. Part of me wants to see Reino with a letter but I think you'll need actual veterans to buoy Jack's fledgling captaincy. Okposo will keep his letter and I'm thinking the other A goes to one of the new faces brought in, fresh ideas from a veteran to "change" the "culture" in the "room", so to speak.

C - Jack

A - Okposo

A - Berglund

I like this set up.  With all the Swedes the Sabres have, it would send a good message and be more representative of the team (US born and Swedes).  I could swap Okposo and go with Scandella.  Then you have even closer representation with Canada, Sweden and US.  Not just solely representative, I think these 3-4 guys are the leaders anyway.   . 

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't see Dahlin being a captain. It's not his style. Eichel, Bogo, and someone will be at least A's but I think jack gets the C. 

I really hope Bogosian doesn't get an A, because he so infrequently plays. Not trying to take another shot at the guy, but it's just being realistic at this point. I want the As to be on the ice. 

2 hours ago, Neo said:

I'm waiting.

Well stated. Jack has to get the C this summer. It's that simple. 

To the bolded, I'm hoping it's not a question at all, and that the powers that be have already made the call. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.