Trade: Ryan O'Reilly to St Louis Blues

CallawaySabres

Again, trying to look for points of optimism, I've said many times that this team was too young. needed more winning veteran players. They've now added Sheary, Berglund, Sobotka, and Hunwick to Scandella, Okposo, and Pominville. This new influx of players coming from organizations that are used to expectations of winning might just be the most valuable part of these trades.

Note Thompson's comments about coming here. He said that the Blues couldn't/wouldn't tolerate mistakes. I think this may have the biggest effect. And it's no longer coming from a minority in the room.

Eh, kinda maybe not? I think he wa saying he was buried in STL because he is young and therefore more mistake prone and going to Buffalo allows him to make those mistakes. I don’t think he is importing the no mistake attitude from STL. I agree with the rest though.

Eh, kinda maybe not? I think he wa saying he was buried in STL because he is young and therefore more mistake prone and going to Buffalo allows him to make those mistakes. I don’t think he is importing the no mistake attitude from STL. I agree with the rest though.

I mentioned the Thompson quote in the context of what other locker rooms expect from their younger players., I don't think Thompson is going to import that mentality either, but I hope and expect Sobotka, Berglund, Sheary, and Hunwick will.

Edited by We've

I mentioned the Thompson quote in the context of what other locker rooms expect from their younger players., I don't think Thompson is going to import that mentality either, but I hope and expect Sobotka, Berglund, Sheary, and Hunwick will.

????

Thompson's quote made me think of Cody Hodgson...

If that's real, and O'Reilly demanded a trade, then I give Jason Botterill a whole hell of a lot more leeway on trying to get a return on him than simply trying, and potentially failing, to improve this team by moving O'Reilly out of the blue.

You can bet your life he wanted a trade....way before yesterday

More from ROR

"It's frustrating, not what you want," O'Reilly said Monday on a conference call with reporters who cover the Blues and Sabres. "I love that city and love those guys on that team. I think they're a team that's very close too. There's a lot of good pieces. It will be interesting to see what will happen with them.

Obviously I'm disappointed. I wanted to be better and win there. It didn't happen and changes were made. Definitely I think they're in good hands and there's some great things to come there."

It's disappointing to see that I wasn't a guy, a piece that could help," O'Reilly said of the Sabres. "But with that, I'm more excited there's another team that wants me ... a team that's got a ton of good pieces and is trying to win right now. That's what I want to be a part of.

That's just the way the game goes. I don't know if it was my comments at the end of the year that got it rolling. But when your team finishes in last place, you expects changes to happen and I think they want to go younger."

As unremarkable as any just-traded player's comments. I wish you well Ryan. Go get that city a cup (after we get ours tho)

I listened to Jeremy White’s interview of an STL Blues beat writer from this morning a little while ago. (I think he may have been a local AP writer.)

In any case, it’s in the WGR audio vault, and I would recommend it. He spoke very highly of all three guys the Sabres acquired.

He said Berglund, who was drafted by the Blues and played 10 years for them, is automatic for 17 to 23 goals per year, and is a smart player and good skater.

As for Sobotka, he was drafted by the Bruins, played three years for them, was traded to St. Louis, played 4 years for them, went to the KHL for 3 years, and returned last year to St. Louis. The writer mentioned that in his first stint with St. Louis, Sobotka played with a good amount of edge and physicality, but in the KHL, he was relied on to create more offense. As a result, when he returned to St. Louis, he showed more offensive game but less physicality.

It got me kind of psyched. I think these guys are all going to be solid NHL players.

Go Sabres.

I've moved on from the trade and have little else to say about it (SS rejoices) 

I'm pretty bummed though. I've been depressed about this team for almost a year and a half now, and Dahlin was a brief respite, but the trade brought it back. Not even because of the reasons I don't think it's good, but because something that was so bright and looked-forward-to is gone and didn't work out. Because of the Sabres we used to be, and the Sabres we are now. 

One of these falls things will change back 

I listened to Jeremy White’s interview of an STL Blues beat writer from this morning a little while ago. (I think he may have been a local AP writer.)

In any case, it’s in the WGR audio vault, and I would recommend it. He spoke very highly of all three guys the Sabres acquired.

He said Berglund, who was drafted by the Blues and played 10 years for them, is automatic for 17 to 23 goals per year, and is a smart player and good skater.

As for Sobotka, he was drafted by the Bruins, played three years for them, was traded to St. Louis, played 4 years for them, went to the KHL for 3 years, and returned last year to St. Louis. The writer mentioned that in his first stint with St. Louis, Sobotka played with a good amount of edge and physicality, but in the KHL, he was relied on to create more offense. As a result, when he returned to St. Louis, he showed more offensive game but less physicality.

It got me kind of psyched. I think these guys are all going to be solid NHL players.

Go Sabres.

Skating is so weird. You and Liger can talk about Reinhart and see things completely differently, and I've read that Berglund (and Thompson's) skating are both pluses and both negatives. They should make every player skate the same timed drills in training camp so we have something to go by :lol:

It’s going to be this fall. Hutton will be solid, Dahlin will be the real deal, Eichel will wear the C and raise himself and everyone else, Sheary and Berglund will be good and a couple of kids will make splashes.

Is this really nfreeman?  Or did someone hijack your account?

Regardless, I have the same feeling.

I'm calling it.... Sabres will be a wildcard playoff team this year.

crack or meth?

We will start to improve, but we are way way way off being better than any of the teams that made the playoffs last year. We can be better than Montreal, Detroit, Ottawa (who I pick for dead last), maybe the Islanders if they fall apart and maybe Florida if they made a toxic trade, Possibly even Carolina, but we will not make the playoffs until Dahlin is ready and an allstar. 

I'm calling it.... Sabres will be a wildcard playoff team this year.

I think the trade here wakes up the team that we will not be playing around anymore. You slack, you sit, you go bye bye

Changing of the guard

Wouldn't predict playoffs but the rest of your post I'm on board with.

Btw, Hamilton was on with Schopp and Bulldog last night and spoke to the issue that Andy Strickland had raised with White -- that Eichel had pissed off several veterans, not just ROR. It starts at the ~31:00 mark of this segment.

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/07-02-schopp-bulldog-hour-4

This sounds less controversial to me now. The upshot appears to be that Eichel blew into town as a brash, cocky kid who decidedly did NOT play the role of humble rookie, and that that he pissed off a lot of the veterans as a result. It also sounds like most veterans got over it, as Eichel matured and improved his attitude, but ROR held onto those initial feelings and continued to harbour ill feelings for Eichel.

I think Bulldog hits the mark in the course of the conversation: If Eichel is, in fact, the root of the problem, the team is pretty well screwed for the foreseeable future. It doesn't sound like that's the case, though. It sounds like Eichel needs to grow up, and that he's in the process of doing that. I continue to think Dahlin's arrival is going to help that process, somehow.

Dahlin helps that process because Dahlin is mature for his age. He's got far less, attitude, outside of hockey than Eichel does or did. 

Paul Hamilton in that interview also reiterates that Eichel never had a problem with ROR but ROR seemed to have an issue with him. 

Dahlin helps that process because Dahlin is mature for his age. He's got far less, attitude, outside of hockey than Eichel does or did. 

Paul Hamilton in that interview also reiterates that Eichel never had a problem with ROR but ROR seemed to have an issue with him. 

I think that's right, Liger. Dahlin's attitude and temperament ("I'm boring," he said) *and*, as others here have said, his elite level of play should all help push Eichel in a good direction.

Hamilton did reiterate that point about ROR, but he also acknowledged that Eichel acted like an entitled jackass in his early time with the team and pissed off just about the entire room of veterans in so doing. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.