Trade: Ryan O'Reilly to St Louis Blues

CallawaySabres

I've brought it up once or twice. It's something when you hear from liquor distributors that he's drunk all the time.

I imagine this has at least some level of impact on the decision to move him. The “locker room” stuff has always been mostly vague, but this is certainly part of it.

I imagine this has at least some level of impact on the decision to move him. The “locker room” stuff has always been mostly vague, but this is certainly part of it.

It would be known around the league, too.

Yea, I’ve just heard Reinhart thinks it’s impressive and “cool” but hasn’t attempted to replicate it.

If his posts on Instagram are any indication Mittelstadt is at least surrounded by kids who love to party hard. No idea how he is, but he’s also a college-aged kid so I don’t fault him.

Having some pops with the boys is definitely a little different than getting blacked out at home. I think Casey and Jack are probably on the same wavelength. Jack likes to have fun but I don't think I've heard anything about that being problematic.

Good thing Ryan went to the uplifting state of *checks notes* Missouri...

Basically. Recall his inconsistency. One game he'd look like he was in the best shape of his life, the next game he'd be skating in cement. Some players can get away with it. Many do. It's why you wont hear about it.

Frankly, the guy has issues.

ROR vs Jack, guess which is which:

Poorly.  He was calling plays while still drunk sometimes.

And I'm not sure Eichel is the party boy here.  O'Reilly has a reputation around bars in town.  Eichel doesn't.

Well good.

But he came in with that reputation.

You have to wonder if St. Louis will try to get him into rehab or some such.

I mean, it would've been cool to see what O'Reilly would have looked like on Jack's wing. After all, his best offensive season was on Duchene's wing. But I understand we were in the midst of playoff contention and didn't want to change up what was working.

*screams into the nether*

To be clear, this snark isn't directed at you. It's just one of those things that I truly can't comprehend our coaches not getting a real look at as we plummet to the bottom of the standings the past two years.

If O'Reilly was seen as too slow, and everyone wanted a player that could keep up with Jack on his wing, why would you think O'Reilly would flourish there?

If Thompson is every bit the skater O'Reilly is but has a much better shot, do you not think that would translate better? 

Poorly.  He was calling plays while still drunk sometimes.

And I'm not sure Eichel is the party boy here.  O'Reilly has a reputation around bars in town.  Eichel doesn't.

I'm with you on this.

I mean, Eichel turned 21 last October.  He did have a whole season to begin hanging out at bars... but it takes awhile to be a seasoned veteran at drinking.  For most anyway.  :)

I am interested in one thing... can Thompson bury the damn puck in the net when either Reinhart or Eichel puts it on his stick.  If he can, then this has all the makings of being a very good thing.  Brett Hull couldn't skate for crap, but he knew where to go on the ice and he knew where to put the puck when it was on his stick.

Bottom line.. I'm good with waiting to see what happens (because I have no other options also plays into the mix here).

So ROR is an alcoholic? Nice spin guys, real nice. Still waiting on a source for that one. Way to throw the guy under the bus.

At his lockeroom cleanout interview, when asked about what turned his game around Sam Reinhart said.. "I just said screw it, and went back to playing my game.". Not a good look for Housley.

So ROR is an alcoholic? Nice spin guys, real nice. Still waiting on a source for that one. Way to throw the guy under the bus.

At his lockeroom cleanout interview, when asked about what turned his game around Sam Reinhart said.. "I just said screw it, and went back to playing my game.". Not a good look for Housley.

I don't think any of us particularly care if you believe it or not. 

And started PLAYING with him, FWIW.

;)  I was mostly trolling with that comment. 

Multiple sources have been cited. And, see D4rk above if that’s not good enough.

Multiple sources have been cited.

"sources"

pi expects us to name names. Which is obviously not going to happen :lol:

Then give me one good reason why I should believe this outlandish story.... and yes I fully understand you don't care if I believe it... Which makes it even more untrustworthy.

I am interested in one thing... can Thompson bury the damn puck in the net when either Reinhart or Eichel puts it on his stick.  If he can, then this has all the makings of being a very good thing.  Brett Hull couldn't skate for crap, but he knew where to go on the ice and he knew where to put the puck when it was on his stick.

Bottom line.. I'm good with waiting to see what happens (because I have no other options also plays into the mix here).

Thank you.  A player can be part of a fast game even if he himself is not considered fast.  Look at Hull, Vanek, Franzen, Andreychuck, etc.  I might not be Thompson, but the Sabres need one or two good trigger guys.  From the highlights I've seen, that's probably what JBot is hoping for with Thompson.

"sources"

Then give me one good reason why I should believe this outlandish story.... and yes I fully understand you don't care if I believe it... Which makes it even more untrustworthy.

*shrug* I don't care if you don't believe it. But there are three of us here, two with media connections, who all have essentially the same info.

I'm posting my info for those who trust me. You don't have to and I'm fine with that.

The two are not mutually exclusive.   You can keep ROR and build the farm team.  

How?  Liger responded that he knows a guy "with knowledge" and claims that Kane "absolutely needed to be moved"... for what reason I don't know.   If he's so toxic, then why did he get a nice long contract from Doug Wilson (who has much more NHL management experience than Botterill).    

There you have it, that's the answer I was looking for.    So SJ can tolerate his drug issues because veterans in the locker room keep him in check and are mature enough not to let it rub off on them.    That makes more sense.   That said, IMO drug use is rampant in the NHL and he's not the only one in that Sabres lockerroom who has those same issues.... but yeah I can see where that would be a bad influence on on the young kids and perhaps JBOT is just trying to create a clean environment.

The only way the ROR trade makes any sense is if ROR is dealing with the same issues.    I spoke to him briefly in Vegas and I don't want to jump conclusions, but he did exhibit characteristics of somebody who uses cocaine on a regular basis.   He seemed jumpy, short attention span, sniffling, quick short rapid responses, on edge, pale skin, dark sunken eyes... maybe that's just his personality, but I wasn't born yesterday either. 

agreed, makes sense

Understood, but if contracts like Clarkson, Pronger and Datsyuk can get traded, so can Bogo and Matt Moulson.

"sources"

So, if I have this correct.  You say that drug use is rampant in the NHL and there are people in the Sabres locker room that have the same issues (in reference to the discussion on Kane).  Then when someone says ROR is abusing alcohol you tell people he's being thrown under the bus and you demand sources.

Would you say that I am accurately reflecting your conversation here?

Wait... aren't you the guy throwing out hints of booger sugar and Bogo? 

Troll powers +10

Thank you.  A player can be part of a fast game even if he himself is not considered fast.  Look at Hull, Vanek, Franzen, Andreychuck, etc.  I might not be Thompson, but the Sabres need one or two good trigger guys.  From the highlights I've seen, that's probably what JBot is hoping for with Thompson.

It needs to be said yet again.  Pace of play matters, not necessarily speed of play. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.