Trade: Ryan O'Reilly to St Louis Blues

CallawaySabres

So, if I have this correct.  You say that drug use is rampant in the NHL and there are people in the Sabres locker room that have the same issues (in reference to the discussion on Kane).  Then when someone says ROR is abusing alcohol you tell people he's being thrown under the bus and you demand sources.

Would you say that I am accurately reflecting your conversation here?

You're being naive if you don't think there's a drug problem in the NHL.    Again, I'm not pointing the finger at anybody specifically, but to come out and say for certain 100% that ROR has a problem with alcohol is a bit rich even for my blood.

Wait... aren't you the guy throwing out hints of booger sugar and Bogo? 

I've never claimed to know it as fact... it's all speculation.

That's much different than coming out and saying "I know a guy and he knows for a fact (without saying how) that ROR is a raging alcoholic."    Without even citing sources.    That's unfair.

Pi, I'm just repeating what I've heard.  If you (1) don't want to believe that I heard it or (2) don't want to believe that the persons from whom I've heard it are being accurate, I can't help you.

I believe that you've heard it, however I'm finding it hard to believe as a "fact"... which is how it's being discussed here.    

No video... the boos will depend on how the Sabres are doing and how he is going in St. Louis.  At least I think that...

If the Sabres are better then he will get booed.  If they are not better then he won't get booed.

I don't know if ROR gets booed...... but at the end of the game the Sabres get booed off the ice. After reading 30 pages and learning lots about hockey and a little about ROR's alcoholism, I'm of the opinion that the Sabres are a worse team without him. I certainly don't have the insight that alot of contributors have, but what I believe is that problems in the room have to be managed by the team..... and in general this means the coach. There have to be player disagreements on many teams that never come to the "we gotta trade that cancerous SOB" stage. I think it's unfortunate for the fans that the coach and team management couldn't do that in this case....... ROR is a hell of a hockey player. I will miss watching him play for the Sabres. 

The ROR trade pales in comparison to the rumor that Doug Allen will be traded to Boston for an ageing Rene Rancourt. Doug, who is known to have one of the best "camera points" in the league simply does not have the "fist pump" that Rene exhibits. One possible explanation for the trade is that Baylee Morrison  has been getting some much needed minutes and seems to ready to fill the shoes of Rene. She displays a huge "cuteness factor", but does not yet have a signature move to really wow the crowd. Once again, the Sabres are leveraging the present for the future............ 

The Sabres are a worse team without ROR going into this season unless they do something else. That is a fair statement to make. 

I don't believe Botterill is done wheeling and dealing.   

I expect Risto to get moved because I know guy who knows that he's addicted to Friend's re-runs.

You're being naive if you don't think there's a drug problem in the NHL.    Again, I'm not pointing the finger at anybody specifically, but to come out and say for certain 100% that ROR has a problem with alcohol is a bit rich even for my blood.

I've never claimed to know it as fact... it's all speculation.

That's much different than coming out and saying "I know a guy and he knows for a fact (without saying how) that ROR is a raging alcoholic."    Without even citing sources.    That's unfair.

I believe that you've heard it, however I'm finding it hard to believe as a "fact"... which is how it's being discussed here.    

I'm not sure how you determined anything about my opinions with regards to a drug problem in NHL.  I was merely trying to understand the difference between one player being singled out for alcohol issues versus the other 19 (or some subset) for drug use.  I think you clarified it.  You don't like people singling out O'Reilly based on their references to liquor distributors and bar owners, but you are okay with making a more indirect accusation against a locker room for drug use.

Personally I don't find a huge difference in what is being said.  In your scenario we get to guess at who might be the drug users.  In the O'Reilly scenario we get to guess if it's true or not.  I see your scenario as more of a witch hunt and the O'Reilly scenario as more of a fact finding mission.

And ultimately, I don't care about either.  What people choose to do in their own world is of no consequence to me.  Granted, O'Reilly driving into a TIm Horton's window while under the influence is of concern to me (and was at the time).  If you want to impair your ability to operate a motor vehicle (regardless of how you do it) then don't get in the motor vehicle.  

Sabres play in St. Louie on December 27th.

Blues don't come to town until March 17th. Does O'Reilly get a tribute video? Or does he get booed? I don't know what kind of tribute he'd get, "gee, thanks for all the losing?". My money is that he gets no video and boos.

A tribute video for a guy who played on a last place team for 3 years?  Why don't we salute the guy standing over the deep fryer while we're at it?

I'm not sure how you determined anything about my opinions with regards to a drug problem in NHL.  I was merely trying to understand the difference between one player being singled out for alcohol issues versus the other 19 (or some subset) for drug use.  I think you clarified it.  You don't like people singling out O'Reilly based on their references to liquor distributors and bar owners, but you are okay with making a more indirect accusation against a locker room for drug use.

Personally I don't find a huge difference in what is being said.  In your scenario we get to guess at who might be the drug users.  In the O'Reilly scenario we get to guess if it's true or not.  I see your scenario as more of a witch hunt and the O'Reilly scenario as more of a fact finding mission.

And ultimately, I don't care about either.  What people choose to do in their own world is of no consequence to me.  Granted, O'Reilly driving into a TIm Horton's window while under the influence is of concern to me (and was at the time).  If you want to impair your ability to operate a motor vehicle (regardless of how you do it) then don't get in the motor vehicle.  

There's a big difference between making a sweeping accusation against a large group (the entire NHL) vs singling a guy out based on conjecture and publicly crucifying him without giving him a chance to defend himself.     

The only personal attack I've made is on Auston Matthews because he's a greedy, money hungry little bitch who only cares about himself... which is much different than singling a guy out based purely on conjecture.

There's a big difference between making a sweeping accusation against a large group (the entire NHL) vs singling a guy out based on conjecture and publicly crucifying him without giving him a chance to defend himself.     

The only personal attack I've made is on Auston Matthews because he's a greedy, money hungry little bitch who only cares about himself... which is much different than singling a guy out based purely on conjecture.

Never change, man.   :lol:

The Sabres are a worse team without ROR going into this season unless they do something else. That is a fair statement to make.

I agree, however I do believe Botterill is planning for 2-3 years from now and ROR’s Comments about being on a team that wants to win now and the Sabres are looking to get younger lend credence to this. Then there is Elliotte Friedman who said in a Podcast in May that Botterill might be looking to tear the team down to the studs, which is easier to do with Dahlin onboard.

We might not agree with it, but we are in an another rebuild.

Top 1-2 center pairs in the NHL based of Goals Against Replacement. 

Warning: Don't look at this if you're still mad about the trade. It might actually kill you

https://i.imgur.com/gulNa5b.jpg

That's really working out well for Edmonton isn't it?

I hate these stupid stats... everybody freaks out when they see a chart like this and think something must be wrong if their team looks bad and that something needs to change.   

That's really working out well for Edmonton isn't it?

I hate these stupid stats... everybody freaks out when they see a chart like this and think something must be wrong if their team looks bad and that something needs to change.   

Just because you're the best in the league in one area doesn't mean you can't be so woefully incompetent and awful in the others that you don't succeed. Correlation not causation with your example

Just because you're the best in the league in one area doesn't mean you can't be so woefully incompetent and awful in the others that you don't succeed. Correlation not causation with your example

Take possession stats for example.... WSH had only the 24th best SAT% during the season, yet they win the Cup.    I was told (by many folks on here) that wasn't possible, and the reason BUF sucked so bad under Bylsma was because of their dismal possession numbers.    .

Take possession stats for example.... WSH had only the 24th best SAT% during the season, yet they win the Cup.    I was told (by many folks on here) that wasn't possible, and the reason BUF sucked so bad under Bylsma was because of their dismal possession numbers.    ######.

I mean do you really disagree with that chart I posted? You don't think those are the best center combinations in the league?

I mean do you really disagree with that chart I posted? You don't think those are the best center combinations in the league?

I think those are the best center combinations in the league.   I agree 100%.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.