Trade: Ryan O'Reilly to St Louis Blues

CallawaySabres

Isn't O'Reilly responsible for a lot of this? If you are brought in to lead a team, effort and will don't need talent. I saw a soft, apathetic team at home going through the motions time and time again.

Then we would get to hear him talk about the need to be better, tougher, etc. Go out and do it!?!? Like Lindy used to preach, do things out of character. Try to hit someone, go in strong on a forecheck.

If they tried to sell me on the same team as last year plus dahlin, I'm not buying. I wanted movement, and people feeling uncomfortable. Because I don't want to be in the situation next February where I can't give tickets to a game away for free.

Oh, definitely. Especially if the tweets coming out late this afternoon that O'Reilly really wanted out are true.

Pretty much in Liger mode today. Will look at it rationally in a day or 2.

New Blues center Ryan O'Reilly: "I couldn't be happier going to St. Louis. I'm absolutely thrilled."

ROR on comments about losing passion last year: “I stand by them ... I wanted to personally do things different, be more honest. I stand by it ... I feel like I have a spark in me now. There’s something different. I don’t regret anything that’s happened.” #stlblues

Serious question, does ROR think this makes him sound good?  

"I stand by it and, oh, now I love hockey again." -- This is basically confirmation that he wanted out, so there's that.

"I wanted to personally, honestly, be super duper clear that I really need to be better and do better.  Really, really, really." -- This is ROR's "Magnum" from Zoolander when it comes to saying how serious he is about being better.  He's gotten those first two practice teams out of the way and now, finally, he's ready to lead.

Serious question, does ROR think this makes him sound good?  

"I stand by it and, oh, now I love hockey again." -- This is basically confirmation that he wanted out, so there's that.

"I wanted to personally, honestly, be super duper clear that I really need to be better and do better.  Really, really, really." -- This is ROR's "Magnum" from Zoolander when it comes to saying how serious he is about being better.  He's gotten those first two practice teams out of the way and now, finally, he's ready to lead.

To answer your question, sadly, he probably does think that.

So, I'm almost looking forward to his next meltdown to run himself out of yet another team.

ROR is an outstanding hockey player. He’s not out of place in world best of the best games. He does many things well, a rarity.

Sometimes, we see that guy and assume he leads. I’m not sure if he’s got that in him. He may. Perhaps it was squelched in the locker room he found himself in.

He’s gone and will have to be replaced by committee. That says a lot.

For whatever reason, the next act begins.

I’m disappointed in the return when I think of a best of the best caliber player. I’m not when I think of the circumstances.

To TBPHD. Much insight this last 24 hours. Your thoughts along the lines of not having to do it now if the return wasn’t there sway me. I’ve cut bait, though. Perhaps JBot did, as well. I think I’m going to file this trade in that folder.

Edit to add ... Eichel better light it up.

Edited by Neo

New Blues center Ryan O'Reilly: "I couldn't be happier going to St. Louis. I'm absolutely thrilled."

ROR on comments about losing passion last year: “I stand by them ... I wanted to personally do things different, be more honest. I stand by it ... I feel like I have a spark in me now. There’s something different. I don’t regret anything that’s happened.” #stlblues

... yea... bye.

More from ROR

"It's frustrating, not what you want," O'Reilly said Monday on a conference call with reporters who cover the Blues and Sabres. "I love that city and love those guys on that team. I think they're a team that's very close too. There's a lot of good pieces. It will be interesting to see what will happen with them.

Obviously I'm disappointed. I wanted to be better and win there. It didn't happen and changes were made. Definitely I think they're in good hands and there's some great things to come there."

It's disappointing to see that I wasn't a guy, a piece that could help," O'Reilly said of the Sabres. "But with that, I'm more excited there's another team that wants me ... a team that's got a ton of good pieces and is trying to win right now. That's what I want to be a part of.

That's just the way the game goes. I don't know if it was my comments at the end of the year that got it rolling. But when your team finishes in last place, you expects changes to happen and I think they want to go younger."

More from ROR

"It's frustrating, not what you want," O'Reilly said Monday on a conference call with reporters who cover the Blues and Sabres. "I love that city and love those guys on that team. I think they're a team that's very close too. There's a lot of good pieces. It will be interesting to see what will happen with them.

Obviously I'm disappointed. I wanted to be better and win there. It didn't happen and changes were made. Definitely I think they're in good hands and there's some great things to come there."

It's disappointing to see that I wasn't a guy, a piece that could help," O'Reilly said of the Sabres. "But with that, I'm more excited there's another team that wants me ... a team that's got a ton of good pieces and is trying to win right now. That's what I want to be a part of.

That's just the way the game goes. I don't know if it was my comments at the end of the year that got it rolling. But when your team finishes in last place, you expects changes to happen and I think they want to go younger."

You know I can't find fault in his reasoning here. Certainly won't be getting all butthurt over it. This team has done a -ton of losing for a long time. I'm sure every player in that room is tired of it. Time to move on.

Again, trying to look for points of optimism, I've said many times that this team was too young.  needed more winning veteran players.  They've now added Sheary, Berglund, Sobotka, and Hunwick to Scandella, Okposo, and Pominville.  This new influx of players coming from organizations that are used to expectations of winning might just be the most valuable part of these trades.

Note Thompson's comments about coming here.  He said that the Blues couldn't/wouldn't tolerate mistakes.  I think this may have the biggest effect.  And it's no longer coming from a minority in the room.

More from ROR

...and he thinks this will endear him to the St. Louis fans?

He's not super mobile, but has a great shot (on a par with Jack's from what I've seen, including the tricky release).  He's big enough to take abuse in front of the net (once he bulks up a bit).  Look in the Welcome Tage thread for the Youtubes I posted of his three NHL goals and his UConn highlights.  If they can convince him he's not Afenigenov (i.e., shoot now and don't dangle), he could be great.  To me he looks like a pure finisher we haven't had since... well, Vanek.  And with his size he could be the second coming of Thomas Holmstrom.

So...are we hoping he turns into a modern day Dave Andreychuk type?  Or want him to do what Reinhart does in front of the net but with more size?

And I'm still trying to get a good thought on his skating. I have read a few prospect reports on him from before he was drafted...heard some stuff about him on the radio today, and read some comments on here.  Almost exactly half of what I have taken in says he is an above average skater and very good for his size skating...and the other half makes it sound like he is orange cone on the ice that people skate around.

Edited by mjd1001

True blue very down on the trade and negative on outlook. We’ve with a positive spin on last few moves. I don’t know what to think anymore, up is down and down is up.

Well RoR was True's baby, so I can see why he'd at least be losing it

Well RoR was True's baby, so I can see why he'd at least be losing it

I did not want to see ROR moved.  the only reason I'm not angry is because it was a hockey trade.  I'm not sure we got equal value back, but at least we got NHL talent back.

As for the rest, I'm trying to find upside.  Maybe it's there, maybe I'm trying too hard.

True blue very down on the trade and negative on outlook. We’ve with a positive spin on last few moves. I don’t know what to think anymore, up is down and down is up.

All I've ever asked for is legit hockey trades.  This may or may not be a good one, but at least it was a hockey trade.

More from ROR

Sounds familiar

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2608937-ryan-oreilly-finding-the-home-in-buffalo-he-never-found-in-colorado

re: Landeskog being named C

"I don't think I was ready for that role at the time. Landy excelled right away at the role, and I think he deserved it, for sure," O'Reilly said. "He's a leader and does everything right. I wasn't very vocal at that time, a little unsure of what to say. But now, I feel I've gotten more to that level in this room."

"Since Day 1, we just always had our [business] issues," O'Reilly said. "But I think the thing is, I did want a bigger role there, and in Buffalo, that's what I got. I have a bigger role here, a bigger voice, which is nice to have. I'm happy with the change. The fans and people in Colorado were phenomenal, and I have a lot of good relationships with a lot of their players still, but now that I have longer-term security and stuff, I can just focus on hockey, and it's easier to lead, to not get asked questions about contract stuff all the time."

Kinda sad actually.  Being that hard on himself with press is telling. Dude needs to accept that he's not alpha and just do his job.  Talented player.  Don't think we are going to miss him though.  Two penalty minutes for the entire season.  "just skating around out there." That's unbelievable for the amount of minutes and his role.  

Note Thompson's comments about coming here.  He said that the Blues couldn't/wouldn't tolerate mistakes.  I think this may have the biggest effect.  And it's no longer coming from a minority in the room.

This one isn't hard to translate. That's Mike Yeo's reputation (won't tolerate mistakes) and is why he lost the team in Minnesota.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.