Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

The Sabres will get the 2020-21 lockout season to themselves for celebrating 50 years... the Canucks are celebrating theirs next season.

They’re celebrating 50 seasons and not 50 years like most teams, even though there was a lockout in there.

13 hours ago, Hoss said:

The Sabres will get the 2020-21 lockout season to themselves for celebrating 50 years... the Canucks are celebrating theirs next season.

They’re celebrating 50 seasons and not 50 years like most teams, even though there was a lockout in there.

That’s odd all around.

The "second six" who were announced in February of 1966 but didn't play until 1967-68 celebrated after 50 years in 2016-2017, despite their 50th anniversary of founding would have fallen in February of 2016. https://www.nhl.com/news/flyers-blues-kings-penguins-50th-anniversary/c-278569968

So there's precedence to wait until your founding birthday and celebrate the whole next season.

That groups's 50th season would have been 2017-18, plus lockout would have been 2018-19.

The Canucks, who already existed for years in the WHL, were bought by Tom Scallen in 1969, and by that time were already promised an expansion slot in exchange for not suing the NHL about getting strong-armed out of the deal to move the Seals.  So the Canucks using years could be wishy washy, but you'd think they would celebrate using spring of 1970.

A team formed in 1970 would celebrate the start of their 50th year on the same date in 2020.  The 50th season would be 2020-21, plus lockout would be 2021-22.

Important dates for Buffalo:

May 22, 1970 NHL Expansion Franchises Awarded to Buffalo and Vancouver

June 10, 1970 Expansion Draft (Tom Webster, et al)

June 11, 1970 Amateur Draft (Gilbert Perrault, et al)

October 10, 1970 First Game and First Win (2-1 @ PIT)

October 15, 1970 First Home Game (L 3-0 to MON)

Who is this “Makita” everyone is talking about?

On 8/7/2018 at 8:03 PM, Taro T said:

Bummer.

RIP Mr. Makita.

On 8/7/2018 at 8:46 PM, bunomatic said:

R.I.P. Mr. Makita.

On 8/7/2018 at 8:52 PM, Ducky said:

Makita was a great playmaker but it didn't hurt to have Hull on his wing.

On 8/7/2018 at 10:07 PM, French Collection said:

Makita was good and lasted a long time. 

19 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Did you know Stan Makita might have invented the curved hockey stick blade? 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Who is this “Makita” everyone is talking about?

Bad typo.  :doh:

Name was spelled properly in the game program from when I actually saw him play in person.  So that wasn't the source of the typo.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

These two things are not the same.

The rumored plan is for Tkatchuk to sign his ELC with the Senators who will then in turn lend him to the London Knights for the upcoming season. 

As he is 18, his contact would slide for a year with less than 9 NHL Games played. 

The Million Dollar question is if he signs an OHL Contract with London and not an ELC, would he eligible to re enter the draft in 2020 as other OHL Players can two seasons post draft? Not that he would as he loses at least one year towards UFA Status 

7 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The rumored plan is for Tkatchuk to sign his ELC with the Senators who will then in turn lend him to the London Knights for the upcoming season. 

As he is 18, his contact would slide for a year with less than 9 NHL Games played. 

The Million Dollar question is if he signs an OHL Contract with London and not an ELC, would he eligible to re enter the draft in 2020 as other OHL Players can two seasons post draft? Not that he would as he loses at least one year towards UFA Status 

I blame the whiskey.

14 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I doubt since he’d be under contract versus only holding his rights

14 hours ago, Brawndo said:

No. He won’t be able to now that he’s signed the contract.

On 8/7/2018 at 4:15 PM, ubkev said:

Stan Mikita has died. 78 years old.

Blackhawks legend Stan Mikita dies
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1581179

I was at a Lightening game about ten years ago.  I found myself turning and staring at a man, sitting alone, about ten rows behind me.  My brain loses names at the most unpredictable times.  The game ended and I started up the aisle. It came to me.  “Mikita!”, I realized.

I stopped at his row and asked, “Mr. Mikita?”.  “Yes, sir” he said, with glee in his eyes.  I thanked him for the memories and apologized for the intrusion.  He said something along the lines of “That’s ok, no one recognizes me anymore”.  What a gracious response.  The smile was broad and the eyes intent.  His hair was still Mikita perfect.

Mikita looked like one of those wiry older men who could still turn you into a pretzel.  God just makes some people differently.

Many retired Canadians live on Florida’s Gulf Coast.  I see former NHLers from time to time.  I’ve stared at Scotty Bowman so often that I believe HE recognizes ME.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Neo said:

I was at a Lightening game about ten years ago.  I found myself turning and staring at a man, sitting alone, about ten rows behind me.  My brain loses names at the most unpredictable times.  The game ended and I started up the aisle. It came to me.  “Mikita!”, I realized.

I stopped at his row and asked, “Mr. Mikita?”.  “Yes, sir” he said, with glee in his eyes.  I thanked him for the memories and apologized for the intrusion.  He said something along the lines of “That’s ok, no one recognizes me anymore”.  What a gracious response.  The smile was broad and the eyes intent.  His hair was sill Mikita perfect.

Mikita looked like one of those wiry older men who could still turn you into a pretzel.  God just makes some people differently.

Many retired Canadians live on Florida’s Gulf Coast.  I see former NHLers from time to time.  I’ve starred at Scotty Bowman so often that I believe HE recognizes ME.

You have such a way with words and timing.

That's perfect.

NBC will televise the Vegas Golden Knights twice in the first week of the NHL season. The Nashville Predators will be featured three times in the first month. The Arizona Coyotes, Calgary Flames, Colorado Avalanche, Winnipeg Jets and Tampa Bay Lightning will appear on NBC before Sidney Crosby’s Pittsburgh Penguins.

The network’s changing strategy will be revealed today when it announces a record 109-game regular-season schedule with a greater diversity in team selection than in the past…The Wednesday Night Rivalry format will be replaced by Wednesday Night Hockey, the change that will create most of the schedule diversity on NBC Sports Network. Wednesday Night Hockey will feature 17 doubleheaders. Tampa Bay, Colorado, Toronto, Vegas, Edmonton, Nashville and Winnipeg will all have multiple appearances on that night…

…“It’s a new world,” Sam Flood, president and executive producer of NBC and NBC Sports, told USA TODAY Sports. “We need to embrace and celebrate those teams more than we ever have before.  It doesn’t take away from those great Pittsburgh-Philadelphia games and Bruins-Canadiens games. We will keep doing those, but we have to lean into some different matchups.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2018/08/13/nhl-schedule-nbc-broadcast-new-strategy-2018-19/971814002/