Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

First, why isn't this thread pinned?

Second,

“As of this morning, what I was told is that there’s a 50-50 chance that Ryan O’Reilly gets traded period." #Sabres - Dreger

This is exactly the type of tweet that major insiders throw out there to keep the media interested in a story when they have no new information. It keeps the "ROR trade" storyline going.

I'd throw more blame towards the twitter era and the 24 hour news cycle than towards not knowing anything.  It's a down moment in terms of these rumors, but you still have to say something.

Eggzactly.

This is exactly the type of tweet that major insiders throw out there to keep the media interested in a story when they have no new information. It keeps the "ROR trade" storyline going.

Worth noting, this wasn't a tweet from Dreger. He was on a radio station being asked a question, this guy then quoted it in a tweet. I'm really not a fan of what that Nichols guy does, there are others doing the same as well. 

I'm angry if he's moved for scratch offs. Otherwise, it'll be wait and see, just like the last 5+ seasons.

IMO if they are going to move ROR, the one and only position they could move him for that would provide equal benefit to what we would be losing is a bonafide starting goalie.

Maybe, but the last thing I want in a ROR trade is a goalie, unless it's Lundqvist in his prime. When I look at goalies who would reasonably be traded, none of them interest me as a return for O'Reilly.

But would you exchange a $5 bill for 3 singles and 2 scratch offs?  That's what pretty much any deal would wind up being, some immediate help for the roster combined with prospects(s)/picks(s).

Maybe a $2 goalie and a $1 forward and 2 scratch offs.  We need to replace a top 6 center's importance.  A bunch of 3rd liners on bad teams/4th liners on good teams won't do that.

Maybe, but the last thing I want in a ROR trade is a goalie, unless it's Lundqvist in his prime. When I look at goalies who would reasonably be traded, none of them interest me as a return for O'Reilly.

If it's picks and prospects?  You must have the patience of Job.

Maybe a $2 goalie and a $1 forward and 2 scratch offs. We need to replace a top 6 center's importance. A bunch of 3rd liners on bad teams/4th liners on good teams won't do that.

If it's picks and prospects? You must have the patience of Job.

I'll be quite pissed if it's picks and prospects. But I'd still rather have that than a non-elite goalie. If a goalie is involved I could live with it, but not if the goalie is the centerpiece.

I'll be quite pissed if it's picks and prospects. But I'd still rather have that than a non-elite goalie. If a goalie is involved I could live with it, but not if the goalie is the centerpiece.

I don't need elite, average to above average starter + other is enough to replace O'Reilly's importance to the team.

Maybe a $2 goalie and a $1 forward and 2 scratch offs.  We need to replace a top 6 center's importance.  A bunch of 3rd liners on bad teams/4th liners on good teams won't do that.

If it's picks and prospects?  You must have the patience of Job.

I'm sorry We've, we are usually pretty aligned on things around here, but I want nothing to do with a goalie as part of the ROR package. They are just too unpredictable in terms of value. I'd much rather address goalie separately and focus on getting a couple of core skaters back (one young NHL'er and a nearly there top prospect). That seems like more projectable value, and we need some security if we're trading our 2nd best player.

I think back to the inclusion of guys like Kasdorf in the past who turn out to be zero value long term.

Especially if you look at the teams interested in ROR - the only remotely good, available (read - not Carey Price on the worst contract in the league) goalie is Dubnyk, who would sap up most of ROR's value, and is 32, and absolutely has inflated stats due to being behind a consistently top 5 defense in the league. When he hasn't been behind Minnesota's D he's been terrible, and he's even had mediocre seasons there. 

First, why isn't this thread pinned?

Second,

“As of this morning, what I was told is that there’s a 50-50 chance that Ryan O’Reilly gets traded period." #Sabres - Dreger

*Continues to sit comfortably and happily in this camp, nodding at the constant and regular reaffirmations that it's the truth*

Seems pretty clear that the Sabres have a strong desire to trade O'Reilly.  At this point, with all of the constant chatter, I think it would be hard for him and the team for him not to be traded since the optics of all of this could diminish his standing in the locker room if he were to return (with a sense that it would be inevitable that he would be traded at some point if not now).  Must be some underlying reasons for this situation, but I continue to believe that this is a big mistake.  Hard to find quality centers with some leadership ability and he is not old.  Are we really ready to say that this is Jack's team?  Does he have the maturity and leadership abilities at this point of his career?

Seems pretty clear that the Sabres have a strong desire to trade O'Reilly.  At this point, with all of the constant chatter, I think it would be hard for him and the team for him not to be traded since the optics of all of this could diminish his standing in the locker room if he were to return (with a sense that it would be inevitable that he would be traded at some point if not now).  Must be some underlying reasons for this situation, but I continue to believe that this is a big mistake.  Hard to find quality centers with some leadership ability and he is not old.  Are we really ready to say that this is Jack's team?  Does he have the maturity and leadership abilities at this point of his career?

First question:  Yes.*

Second question:  Maybe not, but if you take ROR away he will fill the vacuum and figure it out.

*It's Jack's team, but maybe it's 3 As again.  If Reino really assumes 2C, the As might be Jack, Reino and Dahlin, depending on how things go leading into the season.  If Dahlin is not deemed A-worthy, then maybe Jack gets the C outright.

If Buffalo and Minnesota are looking at a deal, who are the key components going each way?

Could Coyle be the center we get to replace ROR if he is traded?

Would there be salary dumps going each way?  We take Ennis back if you take Bogo?

Could change of scenery help a couple of vets out?  We send Okposo and get back Niederreiter?

A couple of scenarios I would be interested in...

Trade 1-

Sabres send Okposo, Bogo, Nylander, and SJ 1st for Zucker, Coyle, and Ennis.

Trade 2- 

Sabres send Okposo, Nylander and McCabe for Coyle, Niederreiter, and Ennis.

Trade 3-

Sabres send Okposo, Bogo, Nylander and 2020 3rd for Coyle, Niederreiter, and Ennis.

Seems that an O'Reilly trade is likely to happen after July 1st when his $7.5 million bonus payment hits (no team wants to trade for him until that happens). The rumor out of St. Louis was/is Colton Parayko and the Blues' 1st round pick last year Robert Thomas for O'Reilly and a defenseman (https://bleedinblue.com/2018/06/28/st-louis-blues-trading-colton-parayko-create-holes/).

I think if we were to get a guy like Pareyko on the right side that'd make Risto expendable. And, he could be traded for a scoring forward.

Minny wants to shed salary, so while Okposo is completely untradable to any team in the NHL, he's especially untradable to Minnesota. It's one of the worst contracts out there.

Niederreiter and Okposo are very similar players on similar contracts.  Okposo is 5 years older.  We are relieving them of cap space by taking Ennis and his salary.

Niederreiter is due 21 million over the next four years.  Okposo is due 26 million in real money over next five years. 

Last five years...

Okposo- GP- 351, G- 101, A- 172, Pts- 273

Niederreiter- GP- 388, G- 101,  A- 104, Pts- 205

So statistically Okposo has been better, and I think going home to Minnesota definitely would spark his play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.