Who is your favorite Sabre of all time and why?

CGorman

Interesting.  We are probably about the same age, yet I went for players of a different era.  Ramsey was a fixture during late teens and into my 20's, Alex and May were from my 20's as well.

Ramsey must be in my top 10, probably 5. Loved May when he was here, but that has faded since.

Born at the right time, so, for sure, it’s Perreault.

Alexander Mogilny

Because he was ###### awesome.

But this guy is a sneaky second. I was coming of age myself when he defected and joined the Sabres. And, Lord, those seasons he had with Lafontaine.

Schoeny, Gare, Bert in that order.

Age has a lot to do with it. I was present as a kid when Schoeny took on 3 Bruins, spilling into the Zamboni corrider. Gare scores seconds into his NHL career to open the season. Bert was, well, the best there was and a pleasure to watch. I remember Carriere quoted as saying Bert made playing easy - get the puck, take it behing the net, wait for Bert to come back and get it - watch him go 200 feet and you're plus 1.

Mine was also Briere back as a kid. Didn’t really have a true favorite until Jack came along. Now it is far and away Eichel. Love that he’s a US-born star and played college hockey. His electric shot doesn’t hurt either. I also genuinely think he’s a good dude (some of his charitable work and public appearances appear authentic and touching). And Josie creates cool pictures of him :D

Although I will second that Afinogenov was always a favorite to watch.

Oh, and I’m named after #89. In case you were wondering how my father would answer...

Is it tough going through life as Mogilny Peterson? (crossing fingers)

Jay McKee

:ph34r:

D**g G***our.

I can get behind this.

I hated Jerry Korab. He didn't fit into my romantic view of the Sabres. Also, I think he scared me.

And, not for nothing, am I crazy or during times of board strife is there always an innocent post within a day or two — what was your favorite Sabres moment? name your favorite goal — that brings us all back together? God bless the peacemakers.

And, not for nothing, am I crazy or during times of board strife is there always an innocent post within a day or two — what was your favorite Sabres moment? name your favorite goal — that brings us all back together? God bless the peacemakers.

You ain't crazy.

Gare. Most complete player to ever wear a Sabre sweater.

Most hated is not a thing for me. Most disappointing = Hasek. For the same reason We've has him on that list.

Hasek was too good for me to hate but I sure didn't like his weird ass. He was a misfit in a sea of misfits (goalies). Something always rubbed me terribly wrong with Dom. Maybe it was the way his teammates spoke of him. They always heaped praise but the verbiage never lent itself to him being one of the guys. The injury faking is debatable but I have my personal feelings on it. I never held it against him for demanding a trade, the whole "but not for too much" thing withstanding.

Hasek was too good for me to hate but I sure didn't like his weird ass. He was a misfit in a sea of misfits (goalies). Something always rubbed me terribly wrong with Dom. Maybe it was the way his teammates spoke of him. They always heaped praise but the verbiage never lent itself to him being one of the guys. The injury faking is debatable but I have my personal feelings on it. I never held it against him for demanding a trade, the whole "but not for too much" thing withstanding.

Goalies are weird. 

That's not the root of my disappointment, though.  He was a very good player.  One could argue he was the best Sabre ever.  The tarnish is the fact that he openly quit on the team.

Bogosian is easily one of my most hated.    

Gets paid over $5mil/yr, plays half the games (if that), and is a negative TRpm. 

His name will echo through the hallways when thinking back to these lean years.

Didn't like Andrew Peters, never seemed to win a fight.

See Ray, Robert.

I'm in no way putting Rayzer and Petey in the same category, as Ray who is probably under 6' tall opposed to Peters who was a 6'5" steroid using hack, but Rob wasn't exactly Stu Grimson or Bob Probert. He took his share of beatings, always the willing participant to his credit though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.