Holy Mackerel! Sabres Win Dahlin Lottery!

Randall Flagg

Phil seems so certain we’re going to take Dahlin...?

I'm also surprised he came right out and said it. But, at the same time, it's pretty freaking obvious any team in the league drafting first is taking him.

I think part of this is priming the ticket-buyers. (I also think he's genuinely impressed and excited.) Let's just hope the tail doesn't wag the dog here. Dahlin shouldn't be rushed. Expectations should be tempered, at least a little.

I think part of this is priming the ticket-buyers. (I also think he's genuinely impressed and excited.) Let's just hope the tail doesn't wag the dog here. Dahlin shouldn't be rushed. Expectations should be tempered, at least a little.

Agreed. He abused Risto with too many minutes this year. I hope Housley eases Dahlin in.

Agreed. He abused Risto with too many minutes this year. I hope Housley eases Dahlin in.

Risto will not be better with fewer minutes. His shortcomings as a defender are not related to fatigue.

Mike Morreale from NHL.com with an article about Dahlin

https://www.nhl.com/news/rasmus-dahlin-seems-destined-for-stardom/c-298783312

Headline: "... seems destined for stardom"

This is definitely the league pumping some tires. Of course they want stars to market. Why wait until someone's actually a star?

Headline: "... seems destined for stardom"

This is definitely the league pumping some tires. Of course they want stars to market. Why wait until someone's actually a star?

Deleted my last post by accident.

But ofcourse the NHL is marketing a top prospect. This is no different than the league doing it with McDavid/Eichel and then Matthews the next year.

Not sure why you constantly want to pump the breaks on this guy. Who was the last top end prospect who came into the league and disappointed? I'm talking a year with a legit top prospect and not last year or Reinhart/Ekblad draft.

This is also no different than what the NFL is doing with Baker Mayfield.

I’ve done some research. It’s thorough and exhaustive. I have several conclusions:

1). No person who’s never played even one game of professional sports has ever played even one game of professional sports. There are no exceptions.

2). Every player drafted into a professional sport is evaluated before they are drafted in order to assess their ability to play the professional sport. The assessments include likelihoods and comparisons. There is ONE exception. In 1974, the NHL’s Buffalo Sabres drafted, from the Tokyo Katanas, ...

3). The evaluation is done by professionals and amateurs. Amateurs consider it fun. For instance, whole internet communities have arisen to discuss players before they’re drafted, games before they’re played, rules before they’re enacted, renovations before they’re made, tickets before they’re printed, .... ok, you get the point.

4). Like any assessment of talent in sports, anywhere, anytime, there is no guarantee the pre-professional assessment will predict professional performance. Pointing this out is a non sequitur and a truism that misses the point. The assessment acknowledges the truism and is made no less meaningful, important, or fun by it.

5). Dahlin excites me like no other.

Edited by Neo

I assume that Ullmark, Pilut, and Dahlin might all live near each other. Ullmark can be the guy for Dahlin. Considering Ullmark is an awesome human, I hope Dahlin lives with him and his family.

Or do the Laine thing, where his mother lives with him.

Circling back on the living situation.  Recent article has Dahlin saying either his mom or dad will probably end up coming over and live with him for his first year.

Dahlin’s Combine Interview with the Sabres is Wednesday

Per Mike Morreale

BUFFALO -- Rasmus Dahlin, the projected No. 1 pick in the 2018 NHL Draft, said he was nervous in the early stages of interviews with NHL teams to begin the 2018 NHL Scouting Combine on Monday.

The 18-year-old defenseman, No. 1 in NHL Central Scouting's final list of International skaters eligible for the 2018 draft, is in the spotlight as one of 104 players invited to the combine at KeyBank Center and HarborCenter this week. The left-handed shot from Frolunda in the Swedish Hockey League is looking to take everything in stride.

Dahlin has nine scheduled interviews, including with the Buffalo Sabres, who hold the No. 1 pick in the draft, on Wednesday. The Carolina Hurricanes have the No. 2 pick, and the Montreal Canadiens have the No. 3 selection.

[RELATED: Dahlin expected to be No. 1 pick in 2018 NHL Draft]

"I just want to show who I am; just be myself," Dahlin said. "I was nervous in the beginning but when you get into the conversation, you're not as nervous anymore. Of course, I want to get good results with the testing (on Saturday). But back home in Sweden, we trained to get stronger every day, so I'm confident."

NHL teams have the opportunity for 1-on-1 interviews with the invited prospects at KeyBank Center, Monday through Friday. The medical examinations for each player will take place Wednesday, and eight of the 11 fitness tests will take place Saturday at HarborCenter.

"I'm looking forward to all the interviews here at the combine," Dahlin said. "I'm happy to have a chance to talk with all of the teams."

The breakdown of Combine invites includes 82 of the top North American prospects and 22 top international prospects. There are 60 forwards, 37 defensemen, and seven goaltenders.

The 2018 draft will take place at American Airlines Center in Dallas on June 22-23.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.