GDT Buffalo at. Nashville 3/31/18 8 pm MSG GR

Brawndo

Well, it's possible to appreciate assists and still understand the unavoidable truth that they aren't as precious as goals.

# of times a Sabre has recorded 5 assists:  8.

# of times a Sabre has scored 5 goals:  1

(Bonus points if you guess who had the 5 goals.)

I just don't agree with this at all. Look at it from this perspective: what percentage of goals are scored unassisted? 5%? Less? Assists create goals. This is even more true when JAGs are scoring off passes from elite players who draw defenders to them. On one of the PP goals (I don't know which, there were so many!) Jack drew 3 defenders to drift his way, opening up a lane he fed the puck through to create a goal. Is what Eichel did on that play truly less valuable than the guy who put in a layup?

I just don't agree with this at all. Look at it from this perspective: what percentage of goals are scored unassisted? 5%? Less? Assists create goals. This is even more true when JAGs are scoring off passes from elite players who draw defenders to them. On one of the PP goals (I don't know which, there were so many!) Jack drew 3 defenders to drift his way, opening up a lane he fed the puck through to create a goal. Is what Eichel did on that play truly less valuable than the guy who put in a layup?

This is fair, but you must remember that not all assists are created equal.

(Bonus points if you guess who had the 5 goals.)

I know the answer. I remember some of that game. So, it wouldn't be a guess.

Hints: He's in the Hall of Fame.  He scored a lot of goals.  He rarely got the

credit that was due.  He was traded away for peanuts to a hated rival.

He played with Wowie.  He played with some really great players. It's funny

how so many great players can be on one team and yet stink in the standings.

I know the answer. I remember some of that game. So, it wouldn't be a guess.

Hints: He's in the Hall of Fame.  He scored a lot of goals.  He rarely got the

credit that was due.  He was traded away for peanuts to a hated rival.

He played with Wowie.  He played with some really great players. It's funny

how so many great players can be on one team and yet stink in the standings.

Are you sure you've got the right guy?  He wasn't traded for peanuts--he was traded for another Hall of Famer.  And the team to which he was traded wasn't even in the same conference then.

Edited by Eleven

I was out last night, put the game on when I got home.  Fell asleep at 3-1.  Woke up and checked the score this morning, wondered if I had somehow been watching the wrong game.  

Going to have to try again tonight.  This one seemed fun, minus the scary hit on Antipin.  

Also, just read that last night was the first time the Sabres have ever scored three goals on one major penalty, and the first time they've managed more than one since 2010.  

The next hockey game Hartnell plays in the NHL should be 10 games after the next time Antipin plays in the NHL.

Well we all know there is a zero percent chance of that. I doubt he gets a single game. They will cite Antipin's responsibility in the incident turning his back and not bracing himself. Only in the NHL do they blame the victims.

Per Sabres PR

Antipin released from the hospital

Oh good!

Food for thought.

There are 6 teams ytd with 100 pts.  TB, TOR, BOS, LV, NASH, and WPG.  Our record against these team 8-6-2.  Only WPG dominated us.  Strange or sign of hope?

That is so strange! I'm not sure what to make of that. But seeing how bad teams eat us alive, I'm not ready to say there is hope, yet

Goals are easy. You just shoot it into the net. The interdynamics completely change with tallying assists. Assists require hockey iq, timing, spatial awareness, passing at the right place at the right time, patience. With a goal you simply shoot it in the net. Source : play hockey. Assists are profoundly undervalued

Are you sure you've got the right guy?  He wasn't traded for peanuts--he was traded for another Hall of Famer.  And the team to which he was traded wasn't even in the same conference then.

Without looking, this is my recollection as well.

It was against Quebec, no?

This is fair, but you must remember that not all assists are created equal.

For sure. There's a reasons us stats nerds separate primary and secondary assists, for instance. I would argue that not all goals are created equal either, but there's no quick and easy way of distinguishing them like there is for assists.

Food for thought.

There are 6 teams ytd with 100 pts. TB, TOR, BOS, LV, NASH, and WPG. Our record against these team 8-6-2. Only WPG dominated us. Strange or sign of hope?

I think I'm generally more optimistic about what the team could do next season than most around here, but this is much ado about nothing. Top teams regularly play down to bad teams.

Well we all know there is a zero percent chance of that. I doubt he gets a single game. They will cite Antipin's responsibility in the incident turning his back and not bracing himself. Only in the NHL do they blame the victims.

Enough time passed from when Antipin turned until the hit as to allow Hartnell to make a different decision, but I still think the NHL will do exactly what you're describing. It also wasn't a charge, wasn't interference, wasn't elbowing and wasn't "targeting" the head. It was a common but unfortunate hockey play (but boarding for sure) that went really south.

Edited by PASabreFan

Goals are easy. You just shoot it into the net. The interdynamics completely change with tallying assists. Assists require hockey iq, timing, spatial awareness, passing at the right place at the right time, patience. With a goal you simply shoot it in the net. Source : play hockey. Assists are profoundly undervalued

Assists are needed to get goals. Thats why the Sabres cant score 5 on 5...collective low hockey IQ. 

You don't get a + for goals scored, but you do take a - for shorthanded goals against.

Yup, you only get a '+' if you have no more than the number of players that the opposition has (ES, SH).  Likewise, you only get a '-' if you have no fewer players than the opposition has (ES, PP).  In other words, you don't get rewarded ('+') if you are at an advantage and you don't get punished ('-') if you are at a disadvantage.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.