Buffalo Sabres at Tampa Bay Lightning, 2/28/18, 7:00pm, MSG

darksabre

Why do people keep on saying that it's too late for the Sabres to make a "hockey trade"? 

The trade "deadline" is not a HARD deadline.  The teams can trade all they want. It's

just that the playoff teams cannot add to their rosters.   31 teams.  16 make it to playoffs.

15 teams left to make "hockey trades".

:wallbash:

I can count using only the fingers on my left foot the number of times that's happened. It may the only player transaction used fewer times than offer sheets.

Why do people keep on saying that it's too late for the Sabres to make a "hockey trade"? 

The trade "deadline" is not a HARD deadline.  The teams can trade all they want. It's

just that the playoff teams cannot add to their rosters.   31 teams.  16 make it to playoffs.

15 teams left to make "hockey trades".

:wallbash:

Where did you get this info from? Are you sure you're not thinking of Major League Baseball where teams can make trades after the deadline with players that clear waivers up until September 1st?

Brewster oldies beat the Austrian oldies tonight 6-5. Couple close set ups on our line but was a -1. Still lot of fun got 2 t-shirts outta deal. The Austrians now go to play on Orlando, but we handed them their first loss in 6 tries. Wings beer and sliders were provided by the rink... so a good nite and now I found out Sabres won... Good night !

Where did you get this info from? Are you sure you're not thinking of Major League Baseball where teams can make trades after the deadline with players that clear waivers up until September 1st?

Any team can still make a trade but noplayer traded after the TD is allowed to play in the playoffs.

Two examples...

TB makes a trade with AZ and TB makes the playoffs and AZ doesn't. No players traded to TB can play in the playoffs this season.

TB makes a trade with NSH and both teams make the playoffs. No players in that trade can play in the playoffs this season.

Really rare.

Nice to see you guys batting 1.000 without Kaner.

With respect to Blue’s theory that attitude/locker room issues are easier to digest as a fan, I personally find the current key issue more palatable: it’s almost entirely talent related. We know it’s going to take time to cycle in more talent, but it’s refreshing to see what now looks like a cohesive unit (coaching) with rather more consistent effort (attitude), doing well for themselves in terms of providing a challenge for even the league’s best when we catch then off guard.

The foundations are seemingly in place for a “culture change”, which will arrive no sooner and no later than when we acquire more real talent.

I think it also just goes to show that they're taking the blue collar mentality to heart.  There are chances for guys finally, Evan Rodrigues is flourishing.  He's easily twice the player Larsson is.  How many times have I seen Larsson fall down in the offensive zone.  Continue to carve up the roster. 

Antipin is so sharp.

He's finally been given a chance, and I really hope he takes the last 18 games to prove that he belongs here in the top 6.  Same goes for Nelson who is showing more than I saw at any other time in his Sabres career. 

Yup. That's on Nolan. Not a good player. That's why they scored, we need better players.

I've been screaming for him to be waived for months.  He's worse than Tennyson.  

Becoming part of the core?

He's easily pushed himself up past Larsson, Girgensons, and most of the other bottom six.  I think he's easily the 5th (Eichel, O'Reilly, Okposo, Reinhart) best forward on the roster at the moment.  Which isn't saying much.  He's showing that he can play possession hockey and make good decisions.  His shot is underrated as well.

4-0 against Boston and Tampa in the last 2-3 weeks.

I get that sometimes top teams take the foot off the pedal, but two teams that know they can't do it against us make the same mistake twice each in two weeks? Especially Boston, aren't we 3-0-1 against them this year?

The team has pretty consistently looked decent since that January Canada stretch.

And there's your Sabres season ticket renewal campaign.

Through 41 games, the team was 30th in the league in points. They had 6 more than Phoenix, and 8 fewer than the next worst team (Ottawa).

From the 42nd game onward, they are 21st in points. And they're bunched up with several teams that have anywhere from 20-24 points during that span -- that'd be the Blues, Panthers, Coyotes (!), Devils, Kings, Islanders, Red Wings, and Blue Jackets.

I know they got the Lightning's backup goalie (?) twice and probably Boston's too -- but they've repeatedly beat the best teams in the East. I was at that Lightning game at home, and they looked very good. Consistency is the thing.

They are getting better (?).

Through 41 games, the team was 30th in the league in points. They had 6 more than Phoenix, and 8 fewer than the next worst team (Ottawa).

From the 42nd game onward, they are 21st in points. And they're bunched up with several teams that have anywhere from 20-24 points during that span -- that'd be the Blues, Panthers, Coyotes (!), Devils, Kings, Islanders, Red Wings, and Blue Jackets.

I know they got the Lightning's backup goalie (?) twice and probably Boston's too -- but they've repeatedly beat the best teams in the East. I was at that Lightning game at home, and they looked very good. Consistency is the thing.

Vasilyevskiy is no backup. He's their #1. 

And Khudobin is no slouch either. He's 13-4-4 this year for Boston. 

Hot lips hoolihan !

:w00t:

:w00t:

;)  :flirt:

+++++

The Sabres played a heck of a road game again.  Against a very good team.  IIRC, that is 2 wins this season against the TBL.  Awesome, indeed.

Pville and Risto rocking the 'A' and it seemed to have worked well.

GO SABRES!!

He's easily pushed himself up past Larsson, Girgensons, and most of the other bottom six.  I think he's easily the 5th (Eichel, O'Reilly, Okposo, Reinhart) best forward on the roster at the moment.  Which isn't saying much.  He's showing that he can play possession hockey and make good decisions.  His shot is underrated as well.

...but is it a permanent improvement?  I hope so.  It will be interesting to see if he, Eich and O'Regan ever play on the same line together like they did at BU (perhaps on a power play?)

That's the same issue I have with Reinhart.  (In fact that may be why I have the concern with Rodrigues.)  Reino is invisible for most of the season and then suddenly he's one of the Sabres' best players.  I'd like to see a full season effort out of him.  Both of them.

I hope the blue collar attitude becomes a thing, a team personality.  It would jive with where they've come from as a team- start at the bottom and work your way up.  It would be nice if they can come out of the gate next season looking like this.  I think you can look at the other forwards you mentioned and each can be a very good player, but each has had his struggles with the Sabres.  If they can play for each other as a team and not worry about their personal shortfalls (looking at you, ROR), and play the HCPH system (which seems to be coming into focus), I can see this team becoming competitive.

So, you're saying they got slightly better once games didn't mean as much to other teams?

I can believe that.

Nice win for the Sabres last night, even without Kuch and Palat that is still a heck of a Tampa squad.

Would be nice to see the Sabres finish well: Good to see the effort being put forth. May not seem like of much importance now but finishing well can carry over into next season.

So, you're saying they got slightly better once games didn't mean as much to other teams?

I can believe that.

My eye test says otherwise.

They just look better for longer stretches no matter the team as the year has progressed.

Edited by skogslopp

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.