GDT Sabres at Canucks 1-25-18 10 PM MSG GR

Brawndo

Article from the Vancouver Sun on Vanek.

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/kuzma-vaneks-value-is-a-double-edged-sword-for-transitioning-canucks/wcm/77745c59-d6ac-4e70-ad90-3047235d7532

The early season question seemed relevant.

Was Travis Green willing to live with the supposed defensive shortcomings of Thomas Vanek because the well-travelled winger could unleash that heavy and accurate half-slapper at any given moment — or at least set up a linemate or stand his ground in the slot to set screens and tip pucks?

The answer was a resounding “yes.”

Now, it’s relevant to ask if the Vancouver Canucks can live without Vanek?

-snip-

ESPN Game Preview: 

http://www.espn.com/nhl/preview?gameId=400962360

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- The Buffalo Sabres and the Vancouver Canucks were not their usual selves.

The Sabres (15-22-9) and Canucks (19-23-6) face off Thursday at Rogers Arena on the heels of one-sided wins in their previous games. The Sabres blanked the Edmonton Oilers 5-0 on Tuesday night, and the Canucks thrashed the Los Angeles Kings 6-2, deciding the issues in the first six minutes.

They were not the results that one usually expects from the Sabres and Canucks, who are in contention to win the NHL draft lottery and miles away from the playoffs.

Now, the question is: What can they do for an encore against each other?

-snip-

LETS GO BUFFALO.............. Win 3rd in a Row

(EDITED TO AVOID PASTING OF ENTIRE ARTICLE)

post-4541-0-12943000-1516886687_thumb.jpg

post-4541-0-25123700-1516886810_thumb.gif

I really wish we could have brought Vanek in. I thought he'd be perfect with Jack.

Both guys have played 48 games this year.

16 G ~ 20 A ~ 8 PPP ~ 188 SOG ~ 19:29 ATOI ~  -11 +/- 

14 G ~ 21 A ~ 14 PPP ~ 96 SOG ~ 14:07 ATOI ~  -14 +/- 

This one probably isn't too hard to guess...

Both guys have played 48 games this year.

16 G ~ 20 A ~ 8 PPP ~ 188 SOG ~ 19:29 ATOI ~  -11 +/- 

14 G ~ 21 A ~ 14 PPP ~ 96 SOG ~ 14:07 ATOI ~  -14 +/- 

This one probably isn't too hard to guess...

Right. We could have doubled Kane's production on this team for about the cost of Benoit Pouliot. We might not be sellers right now. 

Time to enter hyperspace and head up to Vancouver for the game and weekend. That said, let's take a little peak at the pregame briefing:

Admiral RJ: You can see here the Rogers Arena …  no, not Rogers Place, we blew that up in the Edmonton system 2 movie-days ago. Stay on target…  You can see here the Rogers Arena orbiting the forest moon of Vancouver. Although the weapon systems on this Arena 25th in goals per game, it does have a 6’6” Swedish goalie and an energy shield formed by the nearby Canucks players. The players must be demoralized if any attack is be attempted. Once the players are down, our defense will create a perimeter, while the fighters fly into the crease area and attempt to score the game winner…. General Eichlo, is your strike team assembled?

Eichlo: My team’s ready. I don’t have a command crew for the powerplay.

ChewReino: rawrrwwwwf

Eichlo: Well, it’s gonna be rough, pal. I didn’t want to speak for you.

ChewReino: grrrr

Eichlo: That’s one!

Ristoleia: General, count me in.

Luke O’Reillker: I’m with you, too!

<R2-Lehner yells from the opposite goal crease>

C-Okposo: Spännande is hardly the word I would use.

Depends how you define it. Sweep these exact opponents? Sweep a western swing? Sweep a road trip? Just a three-game trip? So many questions.

For my entire time as a hockey fan, I'm pretty sure, the Alberta-Vancouver trip has been all done together. Not sure how far it goes back. 

I'll find it out and report back before the night is over. 

This is actually harder than I thought, because of the times they've changed the schedule. But after 0506, they went a while before playing all three on the road in the same season. There was even a season where they didn't play Vancouver at all. And then 3 more where most of the time they played these teams at home only. In 05-06 they DID play all three on the road on the same trip consecutively, and I remembered that which is why I said "since I've been a fan"

But I can go through each season and find all the ones that they DID play all 3 on the road.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Vancouver games are always special to me being surrounding by Canuckleheads.

They have not gone well in recent years.

Third game in four nights western road swing, inconsistent goalie coming off a good game, inconsistent team that hasn’t won three in a row all year.

You guys might want to go to bed early.

Vancouver games are always special to me being surrounding by Canuckleheads.

They have not gone well in recent years.

Third game in four nights western road swing, inconsistent goalie coming off a good game, inconsistent team that hasn’t won three in a row all year.

You guys might want to go to bed early.

When was the last win there? Didn't they scrape one during the first tank season somehow? I vaguely recall them pushing Torts closer to being canned?

For my entire time as a hockey fan, I'm pretty sure, the Alberta-Vancouver trip has been all done together. Not sure how far it goes back. 

I'll find it out and report back before the night is over. 

This is actually harder than I thought, because of the times they've changed the schedule. But after 0506, they went a while before playing all three on the road in the same season. There was even a season where they didn't play Vancouver at all. And then 3 more where most of the time they played these teams at home only. In 05-06 they DID play all three on the road on the same trip consecutively, and I remembered that which is why I said "since I've been a fan"

But I can go through each season and find all the ones that they DID play all 3 on the road.

There were seasons in there where teams would only play some of the three West divisions, but more games against each team in that division. I forget the exact make-up, but those were also the years you played your division rivals 8 times per season.

Time to enter hyperspace and head up to Vancouver for the game and weekend. That said, let's take a little peak at the pregame briefing:

Admiral RJ: You can see here the Rogers Arena …  no, not Rogers Place, we blew that up in the Edmonton system 2 movie-days ago. Stay on target…  You can see here the Rogers Arena orbiting the forest moon of Vancouver. Although the weapon systems on this Arena 25th in goals per game, it does have a 6’6” Swedish goalie and an energy shield formed by the nearby Canucks players. The players must be demoralized if any attack is be attempted. Once the players are down, our defense will create a perimeter, while the fighters fly into the crease area and attempt to score the game winner…. General Eichlo, is your strike team assembled?

Eichlo: My team’s ready. I don’t have a command crew for the powerplay.

ChewReino: rawrrwwwwf

Eichlo: Well, it’s gonna be rough, pal. I didn’t want to speak for you.

ChewReino: grrrr

Eichlo: That’s one!

Ristoleia: General, count me in.

Luke O’Reillker: I’m with you, too!

<R2-Lehner yells from the opposite goal crease>

C-Okposo: Spännande is hardly the word I would use.

Han Scandello: Don't get cocky kids, come on baby, hold the winning streak together!

#Sabres  lines at game day skate:

28-15-21

20-90-23

9-22-29

67-71-13

6-55

19-93

41-8

4-5

Lehner is first off the ice. #BUFvsVAN

Apparently Lehner is now clean shaven with short hair

Really don't understand why Kane isn't the LW on the 2nd line...perhaps PH wants to balance out the lines? That would work if Kane could act as a driver but he needs to play with skilled players to succeed. He's had 2 assists this month, that's real bad. Put him on with ROR and let him rack up points, having him on the 3rd line is killing his trade value.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.