DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

If you go with the idea that you move a player when he is at his best should we trade Sam now?

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/sabres/is-it-time-for-the-buffalo-sabres-to-trade-sam-reinhart

I guess the question Botterill has to answer for himself is has Sam FINALLY come into his own and will he keep playing this way or do you not trust that and play it safe by ditching him? I'd certainly make him available and see what interest/price was out there. 

If you go with the idea that you move a player when he is at his best should we trade Sam now?

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/sabres/is-it-time-for-the-buffalo-sabres-to-trade-sam-reinhart

I guess the question Botterill has to answer for himself is has Sam FINALLY come into his own and will he keep playing this way or do you not trust that and play it safe by ditching him? I'd certainly make him available and see what interest/price was out there.

I know it's not a popular opinion but if they can trade him for a similar age, high ceiling dman I'm all over it.

Right. Neuvirth is better than Lehner. Why would they wanna downgrade?

Just my opinion but Lehner is underrated by fans. He's bad on shootouts but frankly our inability to score is a much bigger problem than our goaltending.

If you think Sam is a 40-50 point player playing over his head right now and some team is willing to pay fair price for 60-point player on an entry level contract, then you make the trade.

If they are offering fair price for a 40-50 player, why would you?

Well, you might think Sam is a 38-42 pt guy who disappears for long stretches, puts up numbers in garbage time, is a net negative in the defensive zone and in the locker room and will be useless in the playoffs and has hit his ceiling, or some combination of those negatives.

Or you just might like the guy coming back more than you like Sam.

Well, you might think Sam is a 38-42 pt guy who disappears for long stretches, puts up numbers in garbage time, is a net negative in the defensive zone and in the locker room and will be useless in the playoffs and has hit his ceiling, or some combination of those negatives.

Or you just might like the guy coming back more than you like Sam.

Or you frequent Sabrespace and would get some level of enjoyment from watching Dudacek's head explode :D :p

First-round picks who topped 40 points in each of their first three seasons, going back to 2005:

McDavid, Eichel, Filip Forsberg, Taylor Hall, Tavares, Stamkos, Patrick Kane, Sam Gagner, Toews, Backstrom, Crosby, Kopitar

If Reinhart joins them this year, that’s some pretty lofty company.

Let’s hope he’s not another Sam that doesn’t fit.

First-round picks who topped 40 points in each of their first three seasons, going back to 2005:

McDavid, Eichel, Filip Forsberg, Taylor Hall, Tavares, Stamkos, Patrick Kane, Sam Gagner, Toews, Backstrom, Crosby, Kopitar

If Reinhart joins them this year, that’s some pretty lofty company.

Let’s hope he’s not another Sam that doesn’t fit.

Sam Gagner was and is a solid piece of secondary scoring.  He isn't in the elite company of the others on the list, but a solid if unspectacular player.  Do you realize he is only 28.  He is injured this season, but he might make an interesting 3rd line center, but I'm not sure I want to commit 3.125 for each of the next 2 years.

As to our Sam, I think with the right players and a little more maturity he is a 60 pt guy. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I don't see Reinhart being moved.  I think what he's bringing to the game is what we should expect from him in the future.  Given the recent play of the defensive corps I would also think that Botterill is less concerned with having to move Reinhart to get a significant D piece.  He should be able to do that with Kane/Lehner (either more immediate or a bit longer term from a draft pick).

Moving Reinhart creates a hole in the top 6 that's not going to be filled by anyone coming in next season (no, not even Mittlestadt).  There might be a UFA signing that could be signed for the top 6 but you don't need to move Reinhart to get that player.

The biggest improvement has to come on the 3rd line.  The Sabres need a 3rd line that can put together around 30 goals.  If some of the current 3rd liners end up on the 4th line the Sabres will be in good shape.

I don't see Reinhart being moved. I think what he's bringing to the game is what we should expect from him in the future. Given the recent play of the defensive corps I would also think that Botterill is less concerned with having to move Reinhart to get a significant D piece. He should be able to do that with Kane/Lehner (either more immediate or a bit longer term from a draft pick).

Moving Reinhart creates a hole in the top 6 that's not going to be filled by anyone coming in next season (no, not even Mittlestadt). There might be a UFA signing that could be signed for the top 6 but you don't need to move Reinhart to get that player.

The biggest improvement has to come on the 3rd line. The Sabres need a 3rd line that can put together around 30 goals. If some of the current 3rd liners end up on the 4th line the Sabres will be in good shape.

I agree with your thoughts re: Sam, and the 3rd line being a focus for improvement. It is why I wish we would have re-signed Gionta.

But I’ll also add that they will need to focus on replacing Kane’s production every bit as much as they need to focus on the 3rd line. And that won’t be easy to do.

I agree with your thoughts re: Sam, and the 3rd line being a focus for improvement. It is why I wish we would have re-signed Gionta.

But I’ll also add that they will need to focus on replacing Kane’s production every bit as much as they need to focus on the 3rd line. And that won’t be easy to do.

I agree with you.  The question is where you view Kane's production.  I put him in the middle 6 category and almost view an upgrade of the 3rd line as replacing his contributions since he's been there quite a bit this season (and not producing).  As a linemate to ROR and Eichel he has produced most of his offense so the hope might be that you could put someone like Nylander there and have similar results.  Maybe.

I think the UFA market will have opportunities.  I'm not a huge fan of that path because people will tend to overpay.  I'm hard pressed to see how the Islanders keep Bailey and Tavares.  Assuming Tavares even gets to free agency I am pretty sure every team in the league would be looking to sign him. 

Soon we'll be able to focus on free agency and the draft... just need to get past that trade deadline. 

I haven't seen any indication that any of Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste are the replacement.  They may be a good 3rd/4th line solution.

We have 4/6 of a top 6 at forward with long term candidates in the system in Nylander, Mittelstadt and possibly Pu and whomever we draft this year (if a forward).

Long term I see (hope) guys like Baptiste, Asplund, Pu, Olofsson, Smith, Fasching and even Bailey and Wilson making up the bottom 6. I also have hope that big Z might also be in the mix. Davidsson could also develop

That enough pieces for a playoff team by 2020. The question is can Jbot get us there sooner so that these kids can develop properly in a winning atmosphere.

Hope so. Not sure I have any hope left for Fasching though. He has been a big disappointment.

2018 ufas I think Riley Nash would be a good bottom six signing. Good competitor, good attitude. 

Meh, you would have said the same thing about Nelson a month ago

Meh, you would have said the same thing about Nelson a month ago

Possibly. He has certainly been a pleasant surprise. Maybe Fasching will be too, but he simply seems too slow to me and lacks a real mean tenacious streak so he's kind of in the middle of neither and so I don't see a role he could fit. At this point, I think DesLaurier was better. 

Not sure who would want Gorges, but yes, move him, move him now! 

Edited by PerreaultForever

Friedman on the trade winds

“it’s way more likely Erik Karlsson is in another uniform in the next 24 months.”

“Yes, I would say that is way more likely,” agreed Friedman. “Now, I said and continue to say I think Erik Karlsson at certain times has been searching for reasons to stay in Ottawa. This is not a shot at Pierre Dorion with the extension. I just think as long as Melnyk is the owner it makes it tougher for him to keep Karlsson. I don’t know. I’m not expecting Karlsson to be dealt by the deadline, but you wouldn’t have to knock me over with a feather if it happened.

“But I do agree with your premise. I think it’s much more likely Doughty stays than Karlsson.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-surveys-nhl-trade-terrain/