DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

I think Vegas would make a good trade partner for kane.

I'll take Suzuki and a pick for Kane. Vegas toss in a roster player to make it smooth. How about Suzuki, a 2nd (Conditional, if Kane doesn't sign with them it is a 3rd), and Lindberg for Kane? We retain 25% salary on Kane. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

We’re a little more than two weeks away from the February 26 NHL trade deadline, and there could be the ingredients for a bombshell in the works behind the scenes.

The usual names of Rick Nash, Evander Kane, Max Pacioretty and a host of others – comprised of both rentals and term players – have been in the rumor mill for awhile.

Some deals manage to fly under the radar though.

“I just have a feeling that there’s going to be one big deal that comes that we didn’t see coming,” Insider Elliotte Friedman shared during a Friday morning radio hit on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960. “Guys tell me there’s just a lot being talked about out there.

“Right now there are more sellers than there are buyers. Guys are just telling me there’s a lot of names out there. And sometimes you can’t tell if people are serious, and sometimes you can’t tell if they’re just testing. Sometimes it’s a lot of talk, no action.

“There’s some teams out there, GMs out there, who are like, ‘I don’t know what to make of the fact this guy’s name has come up.’

“So it’s going to be interesting.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-feels-surprise-trade-might-be-coming-in-nhl/

Edited by Jokertecken

So if not Dahlin, you pick an offense with the first pick and go D with the second lower number 1.  They take time to develop but will more likely be successful.  Gonna need a D on Rochester to develop next year anyway as Ghule will be stepping up.

The likelihood of the defender you propose drafting in the backend of round 1 going to Rochester is very low if not impossible. Also draft the best player where you draft. If 12 defenders are off the board but only 6 forwards, chances are that forward is who you should draft, even if you went forward at #3. 

Kane would agree

so would the Vegas strip, but not the guy tgat would be responsible to keep him in line and focused.....

I'll take Suzuki and a pick for Kane. Vegas toss in a roster player to make it smooth. How about Suzuki, a 2nd (Conditional, if Kane doesn't sign with them it is a 3rd), and Lindberg for Kane? We retain 25% salary on Kane.

Vegas should make trades and retaining salary much more fun. "Vegas gets a 5th in the deal which becomes a 3rd if the result is red on the roulette wheel"

Or

"The Sabres will retain 25% of the salary which they can use for 30 minutes at a blackjack table to try and double thier money so they can make that salary back..."

so would the Vegas strip, but not the guy tgat would be responsible to keep him in line and focused.....

Vegas should make trades and retaining salary much more fun. "Vegas gets a 5th in the deal which becomes a 3rd if the result is red on the roulette wheel"

Or

"The Sabres will retain 25% of the salary which they can use for 30 minutes at a blackjack table to try and double thier money so they can make that salary back..."

"Go on..."

ThomasVanek.jpg

How low do you go to trade Kane? If the best deal for Kane is a mid level Prospect and a conditional pick, do you still pull the trigger?

Any chance you just keep him for the remainder of the season? 

I know most "hockey" people say "dont worry about the slump" but I'm starting to worry. 

Hopefully he can snap out of it soon! 

How low do you go to trade Kane? If the best deal for Kane is a mid level Prospect and a conditional pick, do you still pull the trigger?

I know most "hockey" people say "dont worry about the slump" but I'm starting to worry. 

As soon as you have the best offer you feel fills your requirements, take it.  You never know when that will be.  It could be first and final, or marinate until the ultimate end - Feb 25th-26th.  It's hard to know.

Dreger - the fact that Evander Kane's production has dipped has been a deterrent, but we might start to see some activity two weeks leading up to the deadline. That may make things interesting for a potential Kane trade. #Sabres 

Also stated that GMs will look at the body of work and realize that putting Kane into their situation would we benefit both parties

If the price is to low you don't sell. You set a precedent then of not giving guys away.

GMs are going to pay more attention to the past four years than the past four weeks, or they shouldn’t be GMs.

If Botterill can’t get what he wants before the deadline, Kane should be traded for whatever he can get at the deadline.

To do otherwise is completely irresponsible, worse than what Murray did with Kulikov and Franson.

The decision that Kane was going to free agency was made long ago. You cut your losses and take what you can get.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

GMs are going to pay more attention to the past four years than the past four weeks, or they shouldn’t be GMs.

If Botterill can’t get what he wants before the deadline, Kane should be traded for whatever he can get at the deadline.

To do otherwise is completely irresponsible, worse than what Murray did with Kulikov and Franson.

The decision that Kane was going to free agency was made long ago. You cut your losses and take what you can get.

I have no way to know this, but I'm pretty sure recency bias is rampant among GMs.

Dreger - the fact that Evander Kane's production has dipped has been a deterrent, but we might start to see some activity two weeks leading up to the deadline. That may make things interesting for a potential Kane trade. #Sabres 

Also stated that GMs will look at the body of work and realize that putting Kane into their situation would we benefit both parties

Jesus Darren, are you even trying to say anything anymore?

wetfart.wav

.wav? 

wow, i did not see that one comming. Old windows 95 farts is just the best!

I wonder if the emergence of Rick Nash as a player who will be traded, and who also has an expiring contract, will hurt JBot's chances of moving EK9 for the price he desires?

Isnt rick nash very overrated as of today ?

Disappointing to hear it’s a Buyer’s market...

The silver lining if we don’t trade him at the deadline is Ducky loses his bet and has to wear a Sabres jersey around Winnipeg.

That’s rather disappointing as well, hopefully Botterill didn’t overpay his hand.

I've felt right along that the closer to deadline day the less I expect. I have to believe our GM just hasn't had offers at this point rather than he's just holding out for more. I'm prepared to be underwhelmed by the return. Don't think they will settle for nothing by keeping him. Teams know that.

Hi. I think he said before he would trade all the expiring contracts he could but my fear is he has waited too long on Kane and other teams will start to lowball knowing we want to trade him. Personally think he should have moved him before these guys like Nash were added to the market. 

Edited by PerreaultForever

I've felt right along that the closer to deadline day the less I expect. I have to believe our GM just hasn't had offers at this point rather than he's just holding out for more. I'm prepared to be underwhelmed by the return. Don't think they will settle for nothing by keeping him. Teams know that.

Why?  There's absolutely no evidence this is true.  

Teams don't know crap.  You tell them you're getting calls from 4 of their competitors that want Kane and you're not offering as much as they are.  Then see how it plays and take the highest offer.  This can't happen until the deadline pushing the urgency on the "teams" from the other end.  

Why? There's absolutely no evidence this is true.

Teams don't know crap. You tell them you're getting calls from 4 of their competitors that want Kane and you're not offering as much as they are. Then see how it plays and take the highest offer. This can't happen until the deadline pushing the urgency on the "teams" from the other end.

You may be right or I maybe. My "evidence" is about the same as yours which in both cases is just our opinions. My opinion is he will be traded and for less than many thought the return would be. I think teams that you say "don't know crap" at least know more than we do. Edited by Radar

It's a game of chicken, the bubble teams will sort themselves out closer to the deadline and the domino effect will push those trigger fingers.

My fear all along about holding Kane until the deadline was of his injury history. However, he is not playing like Kane so the chance of an injury is greatly decreased. He will crash and bang for his new playoff team.