DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Unless the return is off the charts, I'm not moving them. They should be a part our OUR core, not Philly's. I will lose my ###### if this happens.

I agree. But if we're talking a major trade (a real one, not a hype machine one), then those are the names that jumped into my mind. FWIW, Philly has some real nice pieces on the blue line that it might be worth moving Sam for. O'Reilly is a harder sell for me unless the name coming back is Provorov (and it wouldn't be). 

This draft is rich in forward talent at the top. Unless we win the lottery, we're probably going with a forward there. I guess what I'm trying to say is it'll be easier to replace Sam through the draft that to get a blue chip Dman.

I agree. But if we're talking a major trade (a real one, not a hype machine one), then those are the names that jumped into my mind. FWIW, Philly has some real nice pieces on the blue line that it might be worth moving Sam for. O'Reilly is a harder sell for me unless the name coming back is Provorov (and it wouldn't be). 

This draft is rich in forward talent at the top. Unless we win the lottery, we're probably going with a forward there. I guess what I'm trying to say is it'll be easier to replace Sam through the draft that to get a blue chip Dman.

While I think Reinhart can be replaced I do not agree about the blue chip defender comment. The first round of  most drafts has several blue chip defenders go anywhere from the top 5 to the last 5. There are numerous top NHL defenders that are 2nd round products. Defense is something that you don't need to finish bottom 5 or even 10 to get someone really really good. 

The only ROR trade that would make sense to me is Provorov, and we all know that isn't happening. 

Exactly. Sanhaim and Frost though make me listen. I would need more but Sanheim is a blue chip defender prospect and Frost is lighting the OHL on fire at 18 with 88points in 53 games. 

While I think Reinhart can be replaced I do not agree about the blue chip defender comment. The first round of  most drafts has several blue chip defenders go anywhere from the top 5 to the last 5. There are numerous top NHL defenders that are 2nd round products. Defense is something that you don't need to finish bottom 5 or even 10 to get someone really really good. 

I never said we couldn't get a blue chip defender, but probabilistically, we're more likely to end up with a blue chip forward than a blue chip defender. Looking at this draft in particular, aside from Dahlin, the best prospect where we draft is a forward (unless you like Hughes a lot more than I do). That puts relying on a late-1st (if we get one for Kane) or an early 2nd for our Dman. The odds of that Dman being top pair quality is quite a bit lower than the odds of a top-5 forward pick being top line caliber, to say nothing of the likely timeline for development to those respective ceilings. That's what I was getting at with my comment.

Trading Reinhart for prospects sets the rebuild back a few years, and probably means O’Reilly and Okposo should follow.

Trading Reinhart only makes sense to me in a Jones/Johansen Hodgson/Kassian type deal.

The Philly rumour - which appears to be from a suspect source - indicates the flyers want trade futures for players who are good now.

Kane, O’Reilly, Scandella, Risto, and maybe Lehner and Okposo are the only ones that fit.

Trading Reinhart for prospects sets the rebuild back a few years, and probably means O’Reilly and Okposo should follow.

Trading Reinhart only makes sense to me in a Jones/Johansen Hodgson/Kassian type deal.

Eh, I dunno about that. Top-5 picks regularly come in and produce 40-50 point seasons within a year of being drafted.

I’m not so sure there will be a big “splash” for the Sabres this trade season.

So the rentals Kane, Pouliot and maybe Gorges get moved and maybe a hockey trade around the draft when more teams are willing to make deals?

From Craig Custance, he ranked the Top Trade Deadline Candidates. Kane was Number One

1. Evander Kane, F, Sabres – A team acquiring Kane would be getting a player motivated to capitalize on the big stage that comes with a potential playoff run. Kane started the season on fire, playing at nearly a point-per-game pace through December. That production has slowed lately with just three goals and four points in 2018. Still, his track record is established enough that teams know what they’re getting. “He’s still a hell of a player,” said one NHL scout. “It’s his contract year. He wants to cash in big. He’s not going to mess that up.” That seems to be the prevailing thought with eight to 10 teams already showing interest in the Sabres winger as of Monday.

So the rentals Kane, Pouliot and maybe Gorges get moved and maybe a hockey trade around the draft when more teams are willing to make deals?

From Craig Custance, he ranked the Top Trade Deadline Candidates. Kane was Number One

1. Evander Kane, F, Sabres – A team acquiring Kane would be getting a player motivated to capitalize on the big stage that comes with a potential playoff run. Kane started the season on fire, playing at nearly a point-per-game pace through December. That production has slowed lately with just three goals and four points in 2018. Still, his track record is established enough that teams know what they’re getting. “He’s still a hell of a player,” said one NHL scout. “It’s his contract year. He wants to cash in big. He’s not going to mess that up.” That seems to be the prevailing thought with eight to 10 teams already showing interest in the Sabres winger as of Monday.

Kane ain’t getting shît unless he gets re-signed.

I am amused that on the one hand long time posters tend to think this team is awful (not wrong) but on the other hand they'd do things like "lose their s##t" if a piece of that team gets traded and would only trade a few guys (mostly guys not many people would want). You really can't have it both ways guys. If the team is truly awful, why not trade everyone/anyone but Jack?

Philly has a loaded cupboard. We could do well if they are willing to move some of it for the present and moving a guy like ROR frees up a lot of free agency salary room. 

From Elliote Friedman's 31 Thoughts today:

11. I can’t pin it down, but a few teams suspected there was some traction between Buffalo and Philadelphia. Their two AHL teams, Lehigh Valley and Rochester, met last Saturday. It sounds like it depends on if the Flyers’ wish to buy, and they woke up Wednesday five points into the playoffs.

What's Philly got that we'd want to buy?