DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

You'll need to convince me my source is wrong beyond any reasonable doubt... good luck!

He goes somewhere, your source is wrong.

By "he's not going anywhere" the source must mean he's getting an extension?

Would make his source right. Or if he leaves on ufa.

Keep Kane, trade Kane.....doesn't matter to me much save this, Buffalo isn't going to spend another 6+ million a season on a 1 dimensional 2nd line LW'er imo.

Bots will be looking for a dynamic winger to compliment Eichel imo, and Kane has whiffed on what? 15 or so great feeds from Eichel so far this season? Many of which could have potentially shifted the momentum in 6 to 8 games? Those points matter, Kane is not the answer and You let and Bots are well aware of this in my opinion.

Doesnt a trade=wrong

No.

By "he's not going anywhere" the source must mean he's getting an extension?

Correct.

He goes somewhere, your source is wrong.

Would make his source right. Or if he leaves on ufa.

Again... my source says he'll be shocked if anybody gives BUF what they're asking for at this time.    Doesn't mean it can't happen, but BUF is looking for a "pie in the sky" type of deal.   Maybe by the deadline some team gets desperate enough, who knows, but for now the chances of a Kane trade are minuscule at best.... of course that can all change in the blink of an eye if their asking price comes down, but my source doesn't think that will happen any time soon.

Again... my source says he'll be shocked if anybody gives BUF what they're asking for at this time.    Doesn't mean it can't happen, but BUF is looking for a "pie in the sky" type of deal.   Maybe by the deadline some team gets desperate enough, who knows, but for now the chances of a Kane trade are minuscule at best.... of course that can all change in the blink of an eye if their asking price comes down, but my source doesn't think that will happen any time soon.

Home run deal is in line with multiple TSN reports. I think right now the asking price is probably too high, but it will be lowered and a deal will be made come February. 

My concern with his injury history is not the Sabres extending him (don't see that happening), but getting hurt before the deadline so he is immovable. Then he signs out west on July 1st.

I would trade him ASAP, provided there are a few teams interested and bidding up the return. You don't need the Darcy top of the line return, just something solid. NHL ready prospect(s) and picks would do it for me.

It's the full on game of chicken i described before.  Every time he scores the more likely someone is going to want to be willing to bring him on.  The risk is he gets injured or they wait too long and the value drops because the team isn't going to get to keep him.

UNLESS... it's a team he wants to sign an extension with.  In which case, perhaps later in the season is fine because a team nearing their playoff run might be willing to give up a bit more in the prospect pool knowing they won't have to use that depth as much in the playoffs.

It'll be fascinating to see what happens.  Almost as fascinating as people on here speculating everything.

Maybe I have an irrational disdain for uncited sources but it makes my blood boil. I feel as if it's someone trying to one up the board or even better, someone wither the source or the poster is completely talking out their ass. It just feels disingenuous. Maybe it's me.

For the sake of transparency (and I've mentioned this previously)... my source works for the  Ducks... I play Tuesday nights with him.     He actually brought up the subject of a Kane trade himself this past week in the locker room as he knows I'm from Buffalo and follow the team.    It's common knowledge that the Ducks are looking for scoring and Kane would be a nice fit, they think he would thrive with Getzlaf who is primarily a distributor.    He did say BUF was looking for a roster player, a prospect and a pick... or some combination of the above in addition to taking on a bad contract (Moulson/Bogo).... which is cost prohibitive for the Ducks who have only a few million in cap.   

He thinks that's an outrageous asking price for a pending UFA, which I agree with, but they do see Kane as a potential upgrade over a guy like Cogliano who's 30 years old and a pending UFA himself.    Bieksa's $4mil is also coming off the books (I know him personally, he's told me he's retiring after this season... hopefully to play on our beer league team! :) He's a great guy, I've got know him pretty well as his kid plays on my younger boys team.   He occasionally skates with them and makes locker room appearances before games to pump up the kids, he's well liked, offers to buy everyone coffee in the mornings, etc..  I could go on and on).    Anyway,  the Ducks could make something work longer term with Kane but they'd need to move a large contract of their own (Perry, Henrique, Eaves) as part of the deal or a separate deal during the offseason.

For the sake of transparency (and I've mentioned this previously)... my source works for the  Ducks... I play Tuesday nights with him.     He actually brought up the subject of a Kane trade himself this past week in the locker room as he knows I'm from Buffalo and follow the team.    It's common knowledge that the Ducks are looking for scoring and Kane would be a nice fit, they think he would thrive with Getzlaf who is primarily a distributor.    He did say BUF was looking for a roster player, a prospect and a pick... or some combination of the above in addition to taking on a bad contract (Moulson/Bogo).... which is cost prohibitive for the Ducks who have only a few million in cap.   

He thinks that's an outrageous asking price for a pending UFA, which I agree with, but they do see Kane as a potential upgrade over a guy like Cogliano who's 30 years old and a pending UFA himself.    Bieksa's $4mil is also coming off the books (I know him personally, he's told me he's retiring after this season... hopefully to play on our beer league team! :) He's a great guy, I've got know him pretty well as his kid plays on my younger boys team.   He occasionally skates with them and makes locker room appearances before games to pump up the kids, he's well liked, offers to buy everyone coffee in the mornings, etc..  I could go on and on).    Anyway,  the Ducks could make something work longer term with Kane but they'd need to move a large contract of their own (Perry, Henrique, Eaves) as part of the deal or a separate deal during the offseason.

I believe it honestly. Makes sense too because we've been reported to pay Kane's salary, so the contract dump fits.

If that's the case then anywhere Kane goes will have to be a sign and trade

Of course the asking price is high, because someone (although TM is no longer employed) is often stupid enough to pay it. You also never start off a negotiation at your rock bottom price. Jbot knows what he will ultimately settle for, but he needs to get as many offers as possible. To accomplish this he’ll gradually lower the price until the deadline. My guess is if a deal is going to get done it will be sometime in January.

Kane misses 12 games every year without fail almost. Last time he played more than 70 games was 2012

63 games without the lockout year

56, 70

He actually played 65 games that year not 56, not picking on you but want to make a bigger point

yea, and you don't pay those players top dollar for 7 years.  

ROR?????

Kane usually misses about 20% of his team’s games per season. The is the definition of oft injured.

In the last 2.4 years (this year counts as .4) ROR has played 8 yes 8 more games than Kane.

Why is one labeled often injured and the other not??? 

The only guys who've played 82 games for the Sabres the past 2 seasons are Gionta last year and Risto the year before

Who has played the most games the past 2 seasons combined............................... Moulson!!!

Of course the asking price is high, because someone (although TM is no longer employed) is often stupid enough to pay it. You also never start off a negotiation at your rock bottom price. Jbot knows what he will ultimately settle for, but he needs to get as many offers as possible. To accomplish this he’ll gradually lower the price until the deadline. My guess is if a deal is going to get done it will be sometime in January.

damn It is that why my negotiations always go bad for me? Your not supposed tonstart at your rock bottom price and try to move up?

@WGR550
Dreger - Teams are calling hoping they can pick Jason Botterill's pocket. If the #Sabres were to make any trade involving anyone like Rasmus Ristolainen, they'd have to get a can't lose return.

Why would we trade a defender? We don't have any as is. 

Why would we trade a defender? We don't have any as is. 

Trade anyone for the right return, no? This draft is full of D prospects. 

I mean, it's not the move I would make, but if you can get a 1st for Risto, do you do it and maybe take 2 D prospects in the top 10? 

Trade anyone for the right return, no? This draft is full of D prospects.

I mean, it's not the move I would make, but if you can get a 1st for Risto, do you do it and maybe take 2 D prospects in the top 10?

Still no, Ristolainen should be untouchable unless McDavid or Matthews is being given to us. He’s at minimum a top 4 dman who knows how to eat minutes and generate points. You don’t trade that for a lottery ticket which at best starts in two years.