DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Would Larsson be enough for Duclair?

Might be, considering Chayaka loves himself some fancy stats

“I checked on this yesterday,” noted Dreger. “The news didn’t break until today, which was kind of head-scratching for me, but I don’t think the trade request is recent. I think this is going back a bit. And I know that John Chayka has been actively trying to trade Anthony Duclair. He’s in his early 20s, I’d be surprised if there isn’t a market. But if there was a market, he probably would have been traded by now.

“I’m told that Arizona is looking for a like player, so in that age category, and maybe a player who has underachieved with his organization and like Anthony Duclair, wants and needs a fresh start. So it might be a player like that, or I also heard Arizona would happily take a draft pick, hoping for as high as a second-round pick.

“But yesterday I was told it was heating up, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Duclair gets traded – I can’t say in the next couple of days, but I would say that he could be traded within the week.”

Duclair, 22, is on a one-year, $1.2 million contract and will be a restricted free agent eligible for arbitration this summer.

https://www.fanragsports.com/dreger-i-was-told-duclair-trade-talks-heating-up/

Interest in Duclair is not very strong and the price is affordable

https://www.fanragsports.com/friedman-interest-in-duclair-around-league-not-very-high/

And I understand that Arizona’s price on him has not been very high. As a matter of fact, it’s really dropped since they first started making him available, and there just hasn’t been a lot of interest.

“It’s interesting to me in that situation because here’s a guy who has been a 20-goal scorer. He scored again last night. I think he’s got eight on the year. I think the knock on him – and it’s been the knock on a few guys in Arizona since Rick Tocchet has gone there – is that some of these guys he doesn’t think work very hard. So I think teams are kind of holding that against him, holding that against the Coyotes.

“I just think that if he plays better – and again, he scored last night – that’ll make it easier. But I’m surprised – as you might be – at the lack of interest.

“One team I really thought might look at him is Calgary. Don Maloney was the guy who acquired him as GM of the Coyotes from the Rangers in the Keith Yandle deal. But I’ve heard that Calgary just hasn’t shown a lot of interest.

“So right now the interest in Duclair around the league is not very high.”

Dreger | Senators and Oilers worked on Hall-for-Ceci trade

The question was put to Friedman why the Montreal Canadiens wouldn’t have interest in this guy.

“It’s a really good question,” considered Friedman. “It’s funny. I don’t know what it is exactly what it is with Duclair, but he’s always had to battle something with his reputation. In the sense that you remember Patrick Roy coached him in junior, and he wouldn’t take him in Colorado. He was running the Avalanche at the time when he was available previously in the draft and early on in his career. And Roy kind of indicated he wasn’t a big fan. And I don’t know if teams are calling Roy and asking him and he’s still saying the same thing – I don’t know that. But for whatever reason, the interest in him just isn’t very high.

“I think one of the reasons that Montreal may not be interested in him is that they’re pouring all of their energy into finding a center, or doing whatever they can to land John Tavares if he ever becomes available. And they might just be saying, ‘Look, we’re not doing anything until we have the answer to that particular question.’ “

Duclair, 22, is on a one-year, $1.2 million contract.

He’ll be a restricted free agent this summer, and will be eligible for arbitration.

McKenzie | NHL teams much more open to trading significant players

Darren Dreger indicated during a Thursday radio hit that he knew Coyotes general manager John Chayka “has been actively trying to trade” Duclair, and also passed along a note on the potential price.

“I’m told that Arizona is looking for a like player, so in that age category, and maybe a player who has underachieved with his organization and like Anthony Duclair, wants and needs a fresh start. So it might be a player like that, or I also heard Arizona would happily take a draft pick, hoping for as high as a second-round pick.

“But yesterday I was told it was heating up, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Duclair gets traded – I can’t say in the next couple of days, but I would say that he could be traded within the week.”

As Friedman noted, Duclair scored a goal Thursday evening against the Nashville Predators, which ended a six-game pointless stretch.

Edited by det har elektrolyter

His value is at an all time low. Unless it's a buy low deal like Duclaire or Bennet, which doesn't really entice me either you are getting bupkis.

I agree.

I wo6ld pick up Duclaire though. Couldn't possibly be worse than what we have on lines 3 and 4 RW? Could he?

I know he and Domi on a line with Reinhart had success at the wjc, putting Domi aside for a moment, and can't help but wonder what a line centered by Reinhat with Duclaire and CJ Smith on the wings could do.increase scoring maybe?

I don't know, just thinking out loud, but like you said, selling low, which I'm speculating Duclaire is.

His value is at an all time low. Unless it's a buy low deal like Duclaire or Bennet, which doesn't really entice me either you are getting bupkis.

Well it's only getting lower, if tonight so far is any indication. Maybe it's time to move him while he still has SOME value.

Well it's only getting lower, if tonight so far is any indication. Maybe it's time to move him while he still has SOME value.

For me there's two thoughts.  You move him for whatever you possibly can even though his value is low - or you take advantage of his low value knowing you'll sign him for much less than anticipated prior to the season.  

I can't say I disagree with you but on the flip side, this isn't the right system for him, it calls for getting to the oppositions end with speed and he just doesn't posses that but Duclaire does, in fact there was an article that said he had elite speed which could have him flourish and he's a LW, a perfect replacement for Kane. Maybe Reinhart as a 2nd line center, move O'Reilly to RW could save him but would Housley actually do that?