Phil Housley — what is this guy's deal?

PASabreFan

Well, if you were looking for some supporting evidence on today's game: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2017/11/06/empty-seats-pistons-wings-home-games/107393976/

In short, arenas are TOO nice these days and fans don't have to pay attention to the game because they can see it anywhere, checking out other distractions, etc.

In other news about talent.  I was listening to NHL radio on SiriusXM and they were talking about the Oilers and their lack of depth scoring.  They were making a point that right now McDavid and Draisaitl feel compelled to do more than they should because they are the only one's scoring.  So rather than play that extra second of defense they are looking to jump out of the zone because they feel compelled to get the puck and go score to help the team.  It was said it's not uncommon and of course the exact opposite happens.  The puck never comes out of the zone and it only makes things worse, not better.  Essentially, by trying too hard to do one thing they are screwing up the other.

The Sabres are in that boat as well.  The offense is lopsided and while I think that's changed a bit over the past few games with ROR and now Pouliot adding some scoring the rest of the team has not really helped much, the D especially.  I think that's part of the problem with Ristolainen.  He's trying to do too much and as a result is not doing what he should.

Your point corroborates what I am seeing and what Dudacek voiced so eloquently. ROR et al are seeing easier QOC and I think the staff is telling them, go for it, your the A Team tonight. We are seeing that line picking up the slack and producing. I still question the reluctance to play the maybes, i.e. Bailey, Baptiste Fasching in meaningful roles while we anchor ourselves with Nolan and Matty Mo, but I do see an adaptation that is forcing every player to expect more of themselves and to do more for the team. Who knows maybe that’s how you prepare to catch lightning in a bottle.

I think the way Housley has stapled Jack to Kane is more evidence of this deliberate campaign of forcing players to develop.

We all know why Kane and Eichel “shouldn’t” be together: they are both big egos who want the puck on their stick.

And as long as they are playing with Evan Rodrigues and Johan Larsson they will continue to play that way because, frankly, everybody knows their linemates can’t play at their level.

But Kane and Eichel actually respect each other. When Phil says to Evander “you are playing with one of the most talented guys in the league, give him the puck and get open” Evander can see the point. When Phil tells Jack to spring Kane on the breakout or look for him on the cycle, Jack can see why that might work.

Old habits die hard, but the more they try it, the more success they will have, the more confidence it will build, the more they become habits. “Trust your talent.” Doesn’t just mean your own, it means each other’s.

Playing with Jack has forced Evander to think more about getting open instead of chasing the puck, choosing his shots better instead of hammering away from everywhere, and occasionally even passing. Playing with Evander has forced Jack to play more like a true centre -starting the transition instead of leading it, moving the puck instead of carrying it.

It has looked ugly at times but they are both poised to have career years and they are expanding their games.

Again, long game. I can almost hear the wrestler say “trust the process.”

Edited by dudacek

I think the way Housley has stapled Jack to Kane is more evidence of this deliberate campaign of forcing players to develop.

We all know why Kane and Eichel “shouldn’t” be together: they are both big egos who want the puck on their stick.

And as long as they are playing with Evan Rodrigues and Johan Larsson they will continue to play that way because, frankly, everybody knows their linemates can’t play at their level.

But Kane and Eichel actually respect each other. When Phil says to Evander “you are playing with one of the most talented guys in the league, give him the puck and get open” Evander can see the point. When Phil tells Jack to spring Kane on the breakout or look for him on the cycle, Jack can see why that might work.

Old habits die hard, but the more they try it, the more success they will have, the more confidence it will build, the more they become habits. “Trust your talent.” Doesn’t just mean your own, it means each other’s.

Playing with Jack has forced Evander to think more about getting open instead of chasing the puck, choosing his shots better instead of hammering away from everywhere, and occasionally even passing. Playing with Evander has forced Jack to play more like a true centre -starting the transition instead of leading it, moving the puck instead of carrying it.

It has looked ugly at times but they are both poised to have career years and they are expanding their games.

This is an interesting take. I like it.

New generation , when I was young you got yelled and moved to do better. My son only moves when you take something away and then praise him when he does what he is suppose to do. Not saying old way wasnt harsh, but the new gen is too coodled.

I could write for days. My managerial career has three phases. I can point to specific years.

1). I’m a good guy and smart, so I’ll just tell my team what to do! That’ll work, right?

2). I’m old school and tough, I’ll be firm and suffer no fools. That’ll work, right?

3). I’ll show them what success looks like, tell them I have every confidence in them, and let the stallions run. This works.

3 > 1 + 2

As I see it, but so much better said.

Edited by Neo

This take, I like this take and it makes sense to me. 

Great post.

As for the bold.  This is what I posted that I thought would happen with Kane when Housley was named coach and how he was likely to coach the team.  Not in as good words, though.  And at the time I had no idea that Kane would be playing with Eich.

Method to madness of Phil’s Dallas quote revealed?

“It’s hard to be positive. That’s the mental toughness you have to have, being positive when things are going tough and working through things.”‘ Evander Kane

Think this is Phil’s approach in a nutshell.

Pretty clear the head coach also wants to change the culture, he just thinks the issues are doubt and fragility, rather than effort and accountability.

As for the matter of confidence, I can't speak to how it affects the performance of pro athletes, but I do know that it plays an absolutely HUGE role in 16-18 year-olds who play their sports at a fairly high level. I just can't over-state how important confidence is in that setting. It's a necessary component of letting your talent shine and reaching for the proverbial brass ring every time you step on the field, etc.

Here's something that's good for confidence and for combating doubt and fragility:  rock-solid goaltending. 

The Sabres played better in front of Dominik and Miller than in front of Marty (and the parade of loser backups that DR brought in after Marty).

They haven't had consistently good goaltending this year, and it's hurt them.

Here's something that's good for confidence and for combating doubt and fragility:  rock-solid goaltending. 

The Sabres played better in front of Dominik and Miller than in front of Marty (and the parade of loser backups that DR brought in after Marty).

They haven't had consistently good goaltending this year, and it's hurt them.

This might be the wrong time and wrong number, but I distinctly remember in one of the years sandwiched by Drury/Briere and the division winning team with Vezina Miller, where we missed the playoffs by 2-5 points, we got something like 11 or 12 straight losses from the backup goalie (Lalime?) before he finally won a game late in the season. Maybe we don't hate those teams that much if we had gotten decent backup-tending. Maybe it's only 7 or 8, but my brain is insisting it hit double digits.

Okay, I looked it up. After winning his first game for us, Lalime won 1 of his next 11 starts. Miller got us our only wins into late February, basically. If he could have gotten us TWO of those points he lost us, we would have been in the playoffs. 

His stats show that he was 5 goals worse than league average goaltending in a season where Miller was 17 goals better than league average goaltending. Not that that's completely horrific, but win a goddamn game dude. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Good post, but Jack as of now isn't poised to have a career year. He's producing at an almost identical rate to last season. Significantly more weighted towards assists relative to last season, if anyone cares about stuff like that.

If he produces exactly like this going forward, he'll obviously top his point totals from last year if he stays healthy, but I wouldn't say he's been any better.

He's actually on pace to finish with less goals this year, with 21 more games played.

Edited by Thorny

I have to think that it's the same with Reinhart and his role as 3rd line centre. I think the team would be better off today if he was back on Jacks wing and having Larsson move up to 3C but they want to give Samson a real good look at C.

Could they be looking forward to suppress Samsons numbers this year since he is an RFA? I think Mittelstadt is the 3rd centre of this team long term.

Egg Zachary.

I don't believe for a minute that it is that hard.  And I go back to something Brian Gionta said last year about systems not really being different from team to team.  This group is flawed.  I'm not taslking about the AAAA players.  There is a problem with the folks that are supposed to lead us to the promised land.

The new core may be rotting.

The new core is as bad as the old core was, once it started to finally get broken up.

This group is lost and there is no passion, toughness, or "compete" to their game.  None.  They panic easily, as a group.  They can't string 2 good games together, and rarely have strung 3 good periods together.  They often come out flat and need to get into the game by playing.

The best we can hope for, at the moment, is that we somehow win the lottery and get Dahlin.

I don't think we are capable of winning a draft lottery, however.

The new core is as bad as the old core was, once it started to finally get broken up.

This group is lost and there is no passion, toughness, or "compete" to their game.  None.  They panic easily, as a group.  They can't string 2 good games together, and rarely have strung 3 good periods together.  They often come out flat and need to get into the game by playing.

The best we can hope for, at the moment, is that we somehow win the lottery and get Dahlin.

I don't think we are capable of winning a draft lottery, however.

Why not? We are as capable as any other team that has experienced the same percentages we have. It's literally one of the only things that is guaranteed to not be influenced by the trainwreck that is our organization. No matter how horrific we are, if we finish Xth, then we get X's lottery odds.

Edited by Randall Flagg

I have to think that it's the same with Reinhart and his role as 3rd line centre. I think the team would be better off today if he was back on Jacks wing and having Larsson move up to 3C but they want to give Samson a real good look at C.

Could they be looking forward to suppress Samsons numbers this year since he is an RFA? I think Mittelstadt is the 3rd centre of this team long term.

I just don't think teams do this. Put their players in position to fail. At least good teams don't.

Edited by Thorny

I just don't think teams do this. Put their players in position to fail. At least good teams don't.

We do it all the time. Gorges on the 1st pair example. Risto 27 minutes a night. This is what happens when you have incompentent GM’s, draft poorly and make other stupid decisions.

Pretty sure he means on purpose.

This is my biggest fear. That Jack is a bit of a spoiled brat that rather than busting ass is floating on talent alone. And it's causing problems in the locker room because everyone isn't being led because before he came into the room everyone knew he'd be the face of the franchise.

Jack was brought to Buffalo like a piece of prized meat. Before he got to the NHL, all he knew was winning.  All he has known in the NHL is the Buffalo Sabres and losing, losing, losing. He is young, inexperienced and immature. But at the same time, he is being ruined by Buffalo by not being inserted in an NHL caliber lineup year after year... Constant losing does this to a person. 

Frustrating!

I don't think any coach in the league can turn this crap lineup into a winner. This team doesn't have anywhere near the talent of the contending teams. One thing I like to do is take a really good team and go down the lineup player-by-player comparing what we have vs. what they have. Nashville is my other favorite team (season ticket holder for 8 season)... when I look at the Preds, they have 2 goaltenders better than any of the Sabres goalies. They have 4 defensemen better than Risto or anyone else the Sabres have. They have several wingers (Forsberg, Arvidsson, etc.) better than any Sabres winger. They have quality 2-way depth down the middle with Johansen, Bonino, Turris, Jarnkrok and others. Top-to-bottom our talent just doesn't match up. We can do this comparison with any of the better teams (Pittsburgh, Tampa, etc.) and it is obvious that we're nowhere close.

IMHO, we have to start drafting defensemen with our first-round picks. Build from the back. Otherwise, we're looking more-and-more like Edmonton 2.0.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.