Phil Housley — what is this guy's deal?

PASabreFan

this is a really fair point.

and, man. is the hockey ever effing ugly.

I'm not clear on how much irony or sarcasm was intended here, but I do think that we are seeing evidence of what FGMTM and Hot Daniel were hedging against with their chip and chase small ice approach. The painfulness that this team is exhibiting may be a case of the fans having a "be careful what you wish for" situation.

This is what I wanted, in a backwards kind of way. I hate putting my faith into a team that is actually worse than I thought. Bylsma was trying to do that with these guys, hope that you can make them look as good as possible by covering up the flaws that would stop them in their tracks if they lucked into a playoffs spot.

I don't want that. I hate that. I'd rather they just be bad. 

This is what I wanted, in a backwards kind of way. I hate putting my faith into a team that is actually worse than I thought. Bylsma was trying to do that with these guys, hope that you can make them look as good as possible by covering up the flaws that would stop them in their tracks if they lucked into a playoffs spot.

I don't want that. I hate that. I'd rather they just be bad. 

I,... I just,... I mean, I guess just don't know how to be a fan anymore, I guess.

First I was told that losing is good and the only way to win,... and now I'm being told that coaches shouldn't try and get the most wins they can with the talent they've been given.

I give up.

Edited by SwampD

I,... I just,... I mean, I guess just don't know how to be a fan anymore, I guess.

First I was told that losing is good and the only way to win,... and now I'm being told that coaches shouldn't try and get the most wins they can with the talent they've been given.

I give up.

Long term vs. short term success, I guess. If the coach/GM feels that the way to win in the NHL is to play one way and that means several fewer wins this season but as guys learn or are replaced the team will be truly good, I can live with it. Particularly with young players. Let's say Risto hasn't hit a wall, but looks bad this year because he's trying to unlearn everything that's happened in the last 3-4 years. I'd rather HHDCRGDDB played a system that stresses possession and not the one that'd win 5 extra games last season.

Long term vs. short term success, I guess. If the coach/GM feels that the way to win in the NHL is to play one way and that means several fewer wins this season but as guys learn or are replaced the team will be truly good, I can live with it. Particularly with young players. Let's say Risto hasn't hit a wall, but looks bad this year because he's trying to unlearn everything that's happened in the last 3-4 years. I'd rather HHDCRGDDB played a system that stresses possession and not the one that'd win 5 extra games last season.

:unsure:

I wonder if it's truly *that hard* to learn a system.  I mean Vegas.  Yes, all those players came from other systems that they knew, and now they're playing Gallant's system.  And they're in a solid playoff position.

Is what Phil is trying to do so different that it's this hard?

I wonder if it's truly *that hard* to learn a system.  I mean Vegas.  Yes, all those players came from other systems that they knew, and now they're playing Gallant's system.  And they're in a solid playoff position.

It looks like JJ was right about him, eh?

So far, anyway.

A cynic might say we're in 1984 territory, or The Shining. We were always at war with Eastasia and Jack was always caretaker of the Overlook Hotel. We'll always be rebuilding and learning a new system, because it's smart and guarantees eventual long term success, unlike the chump owners who want to field a good team and have a nice gate and cash in on home playoff games. Hope sells, the fans don't seem to mind, and you never have to pony up in the playoffs and put yourself on the line. We will never lose a playoff game. The Buffalo Sabres will always be on the cusp. Of the postseason. Patience. Suffering. Forever.

A cynic might say we're in 1984 territory, or The Shining. We were always at war with Eastasia and Jack was always caretaker of the Overlook Hotel. We'll always be rebuilding and learning a new system, because it's smart and guarantees eventual long term success, unlike the chump owners who want to field a good team and have a nice gate and cash in on home playoff games. Hope sells, the fans don't seem to mind, and you never have to pony up in the playoffs and put yourself on the line. We will never lose a playoff game. The Buffalo Sabres will always be on the cusp. Of the postseason. Patience. Suffering. Forever.

A cynic might say that. A delusional cynic. 

Egg Zachary.

I don't believe for a minute that it is that hard.  And I go back to something Brian Gionta said last year about systems not really being different from team to team.  This group is flawed.  I'm not taslking about the AAAA players.  There is a problem with the folks that are supposed to lead us to the promised land.

The new core may be rotting.

I don't believe for a minute that it is that hard. And I go back to something Brian Gionta said last year about systems not really being different from team to team. This group is flawed. I'm not taslking about the AAAA players. There is a problem with the folks that are supposed to lead us to the promised land.

I share these concerns. Mightily.

If there's a problem in the locker room, I bet it starts with Jack.  It's hard to blame him; he's excelled at every level.  Except the NHL.  He may think he's capable of leading the team to the playoffs and beyond, and if it ain't happening, it must be the coach, the system, his team mates.  I could see where he would feel that way and feel justified in it.  I can also see where that would piss the rest of the team off mightily.  I hope I'm wrong, but I've always felt there's a bit of bad attitude about him.  If it's directed toward the opponent it could be used positively.  But if it's directed at the inadequacies of the Sabres, it might be irreconcilable.

Like I said, I hope that whole scenario is wrong.

Of course if Mittelstadt might have that same edge and together they may be able to get the team going in the right direction.

Egg Zachary.

I don't believe for a minute that it is that hard. And I go back to something Brian Gionta said last year about systems not really being different from team to team. This group is flawed. I'm not taslking about the AAAA players. There is a problem with the folks that are supposed to lead us to the promised land.

You aren't wrong

Method to madness of Phil’s Dallas quote revealed?

“It’s hard to be positive. That’s the mental toughness you have to have, being positive when things are going tough and working through things.”‘ Evander Kane

Think this is Phil’s approach in a nutshell.

Pretty clear the head coach also wants to change the culture, he just thinks the issues are doubt and fragility, rather than effort and accountability.

Edited by dudacek

“It’s hard to be positive. That’s the mental toughness you have to have, being positive when things are going tough and working through things.”‘ Evander Kane

Pretty clear the head coach also wants to change the culture, he just thinks the issues are doubt and fragility, rather than effort and accountability.

Interesting.

They are the issues. A culture of losing is a real thing. It's probably the biggest reason McDermott has succeeded so far, he's completely flipped that on its head

Okposo had similar comments in the pre-game, basically "we need to trust our talent". I think these guys were f*ckin shook under Bylsma's "we can't win, so try not to lose" system. 

Okposo had similar comments in the pre-game, basically "we need to trust our talent". I think these guys were f*ckin shook under Bylsma's "we can't win, so try not to lose" system. 

Good point. I also think it's a, foreseen by some but definitely dismissed by me, consequence of a tank

Does this Phil-osophy come from up top in Hockey Heaven? From the Lord himself? In 2011 Terry told the Buffalo News editorial board to its face that if they printed more positive stuff about the players, the players might respond.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.