Phil Housley — what is this guy's deal?

PASabreFan

FWIW, I'm 41 and yelling at me is a quick way to push me to not give a smurf as to what you want done. If you can't make your point without yelling you don't have a point.

You're 41?? Never would have guessed that

He has been killing it this fall. Contract year?

Sure this isn't the first year PA's contracted something

I live in Denver and the local version of WGR (The Fan) has the same voice over guy and the stations often sound the same, with the exception that NO ONE talks about hockey out here.  Anyway, the other night I heard voice over guy talking about the The Fan's hot take line, where listeners call in and leave a message with their thoughts about the Broncos (because that's all anyone talks about).  I realized that this is the same damn thing as GR's "Whiner Line" and it struck me how negative the entire Buffalo sports scene has become.  There are so many great reasons to be negative when talking about the Bills and Sabres - I get stuck in it myself.  When you think about Phil trying to stay positive and keep the players positive, despite the bad results, Mike Harringtons and booing fans, it sounds pretty foreign to most of us, but I do think it is the right approach.  We have to realize that we (the fans) are conditioned to expect crappy results, so we play into the negativity too.  This doesn't mean that we should all be unrealistic and Pollyanna about the team but maybe it is wise to zoom out, cool off, and give Phil some time to fumigate the stink of the last decade from the building.   

I'm willing to have a little faith in the positive approach. 

I'm willing to have a little faith in the positive approach. 

It's been permeating sports at all levels for some time now.  Of course you still have to point out what people are doing wrong, but it's how you do it. Talking about something negative doesn't make you negative, you can't change the subject matter.  For example, it's not being negative to talk with a player being out of position.  However, you can be negative in how you tell them about it and only focus on what they do wrong.  Now, if they do nothing right.....

It's been permeating sports at all levels for some time now.  Of course you still have to point out what people are doing wrong, but it's how you do it. Talking about something negative doesn't make you negative, you can't change the subject matter.  For example, it's not being negative to talk with a player being out of position.  However, you can be negative in how you tell them about it and only focus on what they do wrong.  Now, if they do nothing right.....

Additionally, if you're doing things like watching video, it's probably better not to over-analyze bad plays, but spend more time focusing on good plays. If you know what a good play looks like, then you should be able to identify and correct a bad one without even looking at the tape. 

Probably all good but for someone raised the other way it sometimes hard to adjust... probably finding away to show what needs to be done and or when its its done well reinforces a positive message that is likely to be followed. Boneheaded plays probably deserve a good scream and be done with and back to the positive. Dwelling on the negative is never good despite this boards critical analysis. Good work should be rewarded.

These players are generally their own worst critics.  They know if they mess up and hearing about it won't help the situation.  I think the coach does have to provide a viewpoint that doesn't harp on the negative and provides different viewpoints that emphasize good.

No one tunes out the sweet sounds of Mozart but if you had to listen to a dude banging a garbage can all day you'd become desensitized to it quickly.

And then promptly fire said dude from your band :lol:

These players are generally their own worst critics.  They know if they mess up and hearing about it won't help the situation.  I think the coach does have to provide a viewpoint that doesn't harp on the negative and provides different viewpoints that emphasize good.

No one tunes out the sweet sounds of Mozart but if you had to listen to a dude banging a garbage can all day you'd become desensitized to it quickly.

Going deep for this youtube reference...

This only touches on what you're saying about negativity in sports, but one thing led to another today and I ended up on YouTube watching Wayne Gretzky score his record 77th goal in the Aud in 1982. The sellout crowd erupted in cheers and there was a lengthy standing ovation (even more amazing when you consider it was the third period and the goal put the Oilers up by one). Then they played the Celebration song over the sound system and people were clapping and hooting. I don't think anything like that happens today. We changed.

If there's a problem in the locker room, I bet it starts with Jack. It's hard to blame him; he's excelled at every level. Except the NHL. He may think he's capable of leading the team to the playoffs and beyond, and if it ain't happening, it must be the coach, the system, his team mates. I could see where he would feel that way and feel justified in it. I can also see where that would piss the rest of the team off mightily. I hope I'm wrong, but I've always felt there's a bit of bad attitude about him. If it's directed toward the opponent it could be used positively. But if it's directed at the inadequacies of the Sabres, it might be irreconcilable.

Like I said, I hope that whole scenario is wrong.

Of course if Mittelstadt might have that same edge and together they may be able to get the team going in the right direction.

This is my biggest fear. That Jack is a bit of a spoiled brat that rather than busting ass is floating on talent alone. And it's causing problems in the locker room because everyone isn't being led because before he came into the room everyone knew he'd be the face of the franchise.

This only touches on what you're saying about negativity in sports, but one thing led to another today and I ended up on YouTube watching Wayne Gretzky score his record 77th goal in the Aud in 1982. The sellout crowd erupted in cheers and there was a lengthy standing ovation (even more amazing when you consider it was the third period and the goal put the Oilers up by one). Then they played the Celebration song over the sound system and people were clapping and hooting. I don't think anything like that happens today. We changed.

There’s a fascinating sociology thesis to be proposed on detecting and measuring larger social changes based on the analysis of footage of crowds at games over the years.

This is my biggest fear. That Jack is a bit of a spoiled brat that rather than busting ass is floating on talent alone. And it's causing problems in the locker room because everyone isn't being led because before he came into the room everyone knew he'd be the face of the franchise.

Jack isn't busting his ass every shift.  No one does.  Not Crosby, nor McDavid nor Karlson or Kane (either one) or any other player.  But he isn't floating either.  You need to pick your spots and Jack is learning to do that.  He is also not bolting out of the zone looking for the stretch pass. He is positioning higher in the ozone and lower in the d zone.  Both are a nod to being more defensively aware.  He his supporting the d bh winning along the wall to get the puck out.  With that comes the downside that he is not looking like he is dominating every night.  The Sabres have scored 38 gf.  Eichel Kane and Pomminstein have 19.  That is 50% of our output.  ROR Ok and Poolnut have 29%.  If you have been following rakish's usage thread Jack is facing the opponents top guns more so than any other line.  And he.is still producing.  He is evolving.  And producing.  People bitched about his d and he is addressing it.  He is also getting his teamates involved.  His skating stride is unique.  It doesn't look like many others.  What appears to be gliding is in reality otherworldly edge pressure tbat allows him to maintain speed and the ability to change direction on a dime.  I am not making excuses.  Just pointing out that it appears he is being coached to be a more well rounded asset and it appears he is being receptive to the input.

There’s a fascinating sociology thesis to be proposed on detecting and measuring larger social changes based on the analysis of footage of crowds at games over the years.

Interesting.

I remember attending games as a kid at Maple Leaf Gardens and The Montreal Forum. The game was the only entertainment, there was electricity in the air and people were focused on the play. The buildings were loud and everyone was a hockey fan. It was affordable for most families.

The games I attend now seem to revolve around an entertainment package. Many are there to be seen at the event. Distractions are everywhere and I find many are not really fans of the game. The modern game seems way more expensive, but I'm not sure how it compares with inflation factored in.

Jack isn't busting his ass every shift.  No one does.  Not Crosby, nor McDavid nor Karlson or Kane (either one) or any other player.  But he isn't floating either.  You need to pick your spots and Jack is learning to do that.  He is also not bolting out of the zone looking for the stretch pass. He is positioning higher in the ozone and lower in the d zone.  Both are a nod to being more defensively aware.  He his supporting the d bh winning along the wall to get the puck out.  With that comes the downside that he is not looking like he is dominating every night.  The Sabres have scored 38 gf.  Eichel Kane and Pomminstein have 19.  That is 50% of our output.  ROR Ok and Poolnut have 29%.  If you have been following rakish's usage thread Jack is facing the opponents top guns more so than any other line.  And he.is still producing.  He is evolving.  And producing.  People bitched about his d and he is addressing it.  He is also getting his teamates involved.  His skating stride is unique.  It doesn't look like many others.  What appears to be gliding is in reality otherworldly edge pressure tbat allows him to maintain speed and the ability to change direction on a dime.  I am not making excuses.  Just pointing out that it appears he is being coached to be a more well rounded asset and it appears he is being receptive to the input.

Great stuff here.

People from time to time have questioned Jack's hockey sense.

It has improved by leaps and bounds this year. He is using his teammates and picking his spots with much more acuity; he's starting to understand he is a better player when he uses his physical skills to augment his mental game, rather than just trying to overwhelm everyone with his prodigious talent.

Relying solely on his physical gifts makes for better highlights, but it's a less effective way of playing the game.

I've said I think the Botterill regime has taken obvious steps to force Sam Reinhart to take charge of the game instead of just reading it. I'm starting to think there's also been a concerted effort to do the opposite with Jack: get him to more often take what the game gives him.

Botterill said he wanted to develop not just the talent in the system, but also the talent already here. I think McCabe, Ristolainen, Beaulieu and Girgensons may also bear closer watching to see what they are being asked to do differently in order to broaden their games.

There is a long game being played here, ladies and gentlemen. My confidence in the new regime is growing.

Edited by dudacek

Interesting.

I remember attending games as a kid at Maple Leaf Gardens and The Montreal Forum. The game was the only entertainment, there was electricity in the air and people were focused on the play. The buildings were loud and everyone was a hockey fan. It was affordable for most families.

The games I attend now seem to revolve around an entertainment package. Many are there to be seen at the event. Distractions are everywhere and I find many are not really fans of the game. The modern game seems way more expensive, but I'm not sure how it compares with inflation factored in.

At the Wings game I went to, the lights dimmed beforehand and immediately thought -- cool! what an awesome special effect with the lights; I thought of old man Bush's "thousand points of light." I quickly realized it was no special effect, just thousands of phones lit up.

How bout the men wearing suits and ties to baseball games?

And do you remember the photo of a Sabres-Wings game from the early days that we studied and found it hard to conclude where the game was played because there were so few clues among the dozens of spectators behind the glass? IIRC every person in the photo was watching the ice intently.

Great stuff here.

People from time to time have questioned Jack's hockey sense.

It has improved by leaps and bounds this year. He is using his teammates and picking his spots with much more acuity; he's starting to understand he is a better player when he uses his physical skills to augment his mental game, rather than just trying to overwhelm everyone with his prodigious talent.

Relying solely on his physical gifts makes for better highlights, but it's a less effective way of playing the game.

I've said I think the Botterill regime has taken obvious steps to force Sam Reinhart to take charge of the game instead of just reading it. I'm starting to think there's also been a concerted effort to do the opposite with Jack: get him to more often take what the game gives him.

Botterill said he wanted to develop not just the talent in the system, but also the talent already here. I think McCabe, Ristolainen, Beaulieu and Girgensons may also bear closer watching to see what they are being asked to do differently in order to broaden their games.

There is a long game being played here, ladies and gentlemen. My confidence in the new regime is growing.

I'm always hopeful that those who know more than I do are right. Pleeeeaaaaaase be right.

Interesting.

Well, if you were looking for some supporting evidence on today's game: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2017/11/06/empty-seats-pistons-wings-home-games/107393976/

In short, arenas are TOO nice these days and fans don't have to pay attention to the game because they can see it anywhere, checking out other distractions, etc.

In other news about talent.  I was listening to NHL radio on SiriusXM and they were talking about the Oilers and their lack of depth scoring.  They were making a point that right now McDavid and Draisaitl feel compelled to do more than they should because they are the only one's scoring.  So rather than play that extra second of defense they are looking to jump out of the zone because they feel compelled to get the puck and go score to help the team.  It was said it's not uncommon and of course the exact opposite happens.  The puck never comes out of the zone and it only makes things worse, not better.  Essentially, by trying too hard to do one thing they are screwing up the other.

The Sabres are in that boat as well.  The offense is lopsided and while I think that's changed a bit over the past few games with ROR and now Pouliot adding some scoring the rest of the team has not really helped much, the D especially.  I think that's part of the problem with Ristolainen.  He's trying to do too much and as a result is not doing what he should.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.