Phil Housley — what is this guy's deal?

PASabreFan

C'mon. He knows it wasn't 1-1 at the end of the first.

He's saying the but for some bad breaks and some boneheaded jackassery, that period could easily have ended up 1-1.

I don't disagree, either.

But I also know that if my aunt had a penis she'd be my uncle.

C'mon. He knows it wasn't 1-1 at the end of the first.

He's saying the but for some bad breaks and some boneheaded jackassery, that period could easily have ended up 1-1.

I don't disagree, either.

But I also know that if my aunt had a penis she'd be my uncle.

Start we wanted.

Couple bad bounces.

Unfortunate goals, guys played it really well.

"It's unfortunate. But you look after the first period it's a 1-1 hockey game. I thought we had the start we needed."

It's all a part of "the master plan".

And I'm being serious. Think about it for a moment. Adding Scandella, taking on Pommers for 2 years while dumping Ennis and Foligno. We got a d man.

Signing Antipin to 2, not 1 year.

Trying a cheap reclamation project in Beaulieu.

Signing Josefsson and Pouillet to one year, gap fillers deals.

It should be clear we are letting Gorges, Johnson and Nolan walk at seasons end.

I expect to see a Kane trade before or at the deadline, hence keeping him with Jack to pump those stats.

I also expect to see Lehner moved and Ullmark brought up before or by the deadline.

Moulson and Pommers get to ride out their deals while the roster is injected with a boat load of youth either on their ELC deals next season or their 1st post ELC contracts. Bridge or show me deals most likely.

Prepare for another high caliber draft pick, 1 thru 6 if this keeps going.

I also expect a trade or 2 for a d and maybe a netminder before next season.

Like I said, all a part of "the master plan". So what do you expect Housely to say?

And I'm being serious. Think about it for a moment. Adding Scandella, taking on Pommers for 2 years while dumping Ennis and Foligno. We got a d man.

It should be clear we are letting Gorges, Johnson and Nolan walk at seasons end.

I expect to see a Kane trade before or at the deadline, hence keeping him with Jack to pump those stats.

I also expect to see Lehner moved and Ullmark brought up before or by the deadline.

Moulson and Pommers get to ride out their deals while the roster is injected with a boat load of youth either on their ELC deals next season or their 1st post ELC contracts. Bridge or show me deals most likely.

Like I said, all a part of "the master plan". So what do you expect Housely to say?

I can buy this. Also, it gives Phil a chance to figure out his coaching style before the stakes get higher

Let's not remove him from blame. His line up combos and firewagon style are not working. His supposed forte as defenseman whisperer is becoming a punchline. He may figure it out but he's got a ways to go.

Phil is extremely ambitious as a rookie head coach. He's trying to implement an entirely new system as a rookie HC, with players who are not familiar with the system, per-se, and don't even have familiarity with one another, by and large.

I don't think we'll know for another year or two whether Phil is a bust.

Stallin' for dahlin 

This post is stupid.

Is it though? Are you not tired of the endless stream of excuses every year and the "just a bounce away" type of philosophy? I sure am. We are NOT just a few bounces away, we suck big time just like last year, just like the years before that. 

Edited by Pokey Jones

Apology hockey has begun yet again. 

There are two ways to go with this team.  Some don't choose to be angry over all of it as it serves no purpose in life.  What good does it do me to get upset about the Sabres?  Be angry if you want.  But stop calling out others for dealing with the situation how they want to deal with it.  It serves no purpose other than self-gratification and if that's all you are after I am thinking there are other sites on the Internet you should visit before this one.

Let's not remove him from blame. His line up combos and firewagon style are not working. His supposed forte as defenseman whisperer is becoming a punchline. He may figure it out but he's got a ways to go.

I think the bright side is that he's not turning away from the style he wants them to play.  If he was to change the system now to try and protect his players he'd be taking a step backward in the development.  They need to learn the system and the only way to do it is to play it.  So they take their lumps but ultimately they learn who can adapt and who can't.  They keep who can and discard who can't and all the while the team has been gaining experience with how to play.

As for a D whisperer part... he might be able to improve some of that D corps a bit but it probably doesn't help that the forwards aren't always in the right position either.  They have to settle themselves before they work on bettering themselves.

it's ugly right now, there's no doubt.

The Sabres right now do not look like a well-coached team.

By well-coached, that means the pieces clicking together like a well oiled machine.

I’m inclined to chalk that up to lack of familiarity so far, exacerbated by lack of talent, as opposed to poor systems or poor leadership.

I did expect to see the defence more involved but understand the circumstances that have gotten in the way of that.

Edited by dudacek

There are two ways to go with this team.  Some don't choose to be angry over all of it as it serves no purpose in life.  What good does it do me to get upset about the Sabres?  Be angry if you want.  But stop calling out others for dealing with the situation how they want to deal with it.  It serves no purpose other than self-gratification and if that's all you are after I am thinking there are other sites on the Internet you should visit before this one.

I think the bright side is that he's not turning away from the style he wants them to play.  If he was to change the system now to try and protect his players he'd be taking a step backward in the development.  They need to learn the system and the only way to do it is to play it.  So they take their lumps but ultimately they learn who can adapt and who can't.  They keep who can and discard who can't and all the while the team has been gaining experience with how to play.

As for a D whisperer part... he might be able to improve some of that D corps a bit but it probably doesn't help that the forwards aren't always in the right position either.  They have to settle themselves before they work on bettering themselves.

I think this is exactly what is happening. Bylsma sheltered them with his "try not to lose" methods because he knew he didn't have the horses to play any other game. But all that does is hurt your ability to evaluate your players and where your team is at. I think Housley and Botterill are taking this opportunity to really see what they have.

And it doesn't look good. Our defense is a mess. 

this is a really fair point.

and, man. is the hockey ever effing ugly.

Bylsma was a miracle worker.

I'm not clear on how much irony or sarcasm was intended here, but I do think that we are seeing evidence of what FGMTM and Hot Daniel were hedging against with their chip and chase small ice approach. The painfulness that this team is exhibiting may be a case of the fans having a "be careful what you wish for" situation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.