GDT: Sabres @ Blue Jackets 10/25/17 8PM EST

Wyldnwoody44

Griffith is now 100% better then Grant.

:w00t:

this sabre team doesn't have enough Don Luces and Craig Ramsay's. I really think that part of the quickest rebuild is to get a real competitive squad out there with perhaps slightly over the hill vets who play solid 2 way hockey. 

This team has Eichel , a few young promising players and few decent scorers who are not solid 2 way players.Thats a tough formula with which to win games. 

Don't worry.  By the time the rebuild is done, Reinhart will fit that mold.

I'm going to drink and watch SuperTroopers on IFC. I need to laugh tonight, not analyze.

Cheers!

Keep an eye out for my namesake.

But 3 3+ goal losses in a 10 game stretch is pretty blechy, no?

Definitely.

Eichel with the assist. Kid, it's time to start shooting the puck.

That was a brutal play from Jack. I won't say he has to shoot there, but he has to, you know, put in the minimum effort required to not turn the puck over for an immediate rush the other way. I haven't liked his game for a few now. It's like ROR picked it up so he's easing off.

And yes, get Kane off his line.

Hopefully Jack can maintain his point a game pace on Saturday.

I'm really not surprised they ran out gas midway through that game.  That was their 4th game in 6 days with two sets of back to back.  Bob played great early and stopped ever good opportunity and that ultimately took the starch out of a tired team.

I actually liked the lines ewarly in the game.  It looks to me like KO is getting his game back in shape.  He is getting more physical which is a great sign.  I hate to use DD's pod system but I really like Jack with Pommers, Reinhart with Okposo, and ROR with Kane.  That leaves Wowie to tweak the lines by allocating Pouliot, Girgensons and Bailey between the 3 lines.  I personally like a playmaker, scorer and forechecker on each line.  

Girgensons Jack Pommer

Kane ROR Bailey

Pouliot Reinhart Okposo

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

this sabre team doesn't have enough Don Luces and Craig Ramsay's. I really think that part of the quickest rebuild is to get a real competitive squad out there with perhaps slightly over the hill vets who play solid 2 way hockey. 

This team has Eichel , a few young promising players and few decent scorers who are not solid 2 way players.Thats a tough formula with which to win games. 

I'd settle for a Jim Lorentz at this point. Somebody, anybody able to get in front of the goalie and cause a little havoc? Nope, not on this roster.

Let's see, I'm called too negative so let me think of something positive..................thinking............................still thinking.......................oh, it's kind of cute the way Reinhart skates around all over the place like he's actually doing something. If hockey was horseshoes, he'd rack up a bunch of points. How's that?

I got really bored after the second period. They suck. Again. 

‘”I don’t think it was a sense of frustration, I think it’s just how do you react to that, right?” Sabres coach Phil Housley said. “We understand it’s a big turning point. Could have been a tie game right there. But how do you react from that point moving forward, the mental toughness of that? We just lost that little bit of discipline in our game to stay with it.”‘

Why is that ^ even a thing? Are we that fragile that a missed breakaway is such a point of contention? Last I checked, goalies save breakaways more often than not. That fact that apparently broke them is very discouraging, as is Housley making it such a big deal.

You missed on a breakaway? Big deal, go get another one. It shouldn't even be talked about as something that requires "mental toughness." Sheesh.

I'd settle for a Jim Lorentz at this point. Somebody, anybody able to get in front of the goalie and cause a little havoc? Nope, not on this roster.

Let's see, I'm called too negative so let me think of something positive..................thinking............................still thinking.......................oh, it's kind of cute the way Reinhart skates around all over the place like he's actually doing something. If hockey was horseshoes, he'd rack up a bunch of points. How's that?

Interesting you pick Reinhart to single out, the player on the roster with a significant history of screening goalies and tipping pucks in front of the net. Much more so than any other player on this roster.

Thought Johnson had a game and for once I agree with Millbury, they lack enough talent... gonna be a long season. Still the base is there and they skated hard despite falling apart in the second. Johnson let way too many rebounds out there especially on the rush and Bob stoned them. Way too many pucks in his chest, that is where the talent or lack of it comes in... Missed the third, fell asleep but from what I can tell they didnt stop skating.

Well, I thought that Columbus was the best team the Sabres have played this season.  Holy mackarel are they fast.

AND I thought the Sabres hung with them, and the game was highly entertaining and pretty close to even, until the roof caved in in the 2nd.

So, while I think the Sabres have real goaltending issues, and need to improve their play in front of both their own and the opponent's net, I was actually kinda encouraged.  I think they are starting to understand Howie's system, and that it's a potentially really good system.

Well, I thought that Columbus was the best team the Sabres have played this season.  Holy mackarel are they fast.

AND I thought the Sabres hung with them, and the game was highly entertaining and pretty close to even, until the roof caved in in the 2nd.

So, while I think the Sabres have real goaltending issues, and need to improve their play in front of both their own and the opponent's net, I was actually kinda encouraged.  I think they are starting to understand Howie's system, and that it's a potentially really good system.

I agree with this. I thought they had some gafs but overall looked much better than that west coast swing. You could tell that Columbus was better and knew their system better but it wasn't like the past years where Buffalo wasn't even a factor. They got bad gt and some bad defensive zone play at the end of the 2nd.  

I was entertained until the point where the lead seemed insurmountable at 3-0.  The system relies on support, and when a player makes a gaffe the support should be there to take off the pressure.  What I see is the player making the gaffe trying to immediately redeem himself instead of letting the support make a play and in kind supporting the player now engaged.  Growing pains.  Also why do we have so much trouble handling the puck at the point?  Two or three sustained possesions negated by mishandling the pass at the point. 

Horseshoes huh? Wait... you don't think........ could it be?........... Nah.

Agree with the last two posts. I watched a good portion of the game. CLB looked absolutely terrific. And the Sabres looked engaged. That was a brutal stretch in the 2nd. Sh1t happens that way sometimes.

Yes. It passed the eye test. If it's one game in a good season, you don't blink or remember it for more than 24 hours. The problem is that it's another loss in a very poor season so far. It will be looked at differently.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.