Rochester Americans 2017/2018

LGR4GM

What was the point of his original recall that necessitated a need for him?

Player evaluation for next season. Whether you like it or not the Amerks only exist because they answer to a parent club like the Sabres.

I get that you don't like your team's players getting called up at bad times, but perhaps you'd like not having a team at all even less. 

Player evaluation for next season. Whether you like it or not the Amerks only exist because they answer to a parent club like the Sabres.

I get that you don't like your team's players getting called up at bad times, but perhaps you'd like not having a team at all even less.

Right. I know why he was recalled. I still don’t think it was needed. I’m sure it was a real “evaluation”. I’m sure moves will be made this summer based on the few pointless games he played. The guy is waiver elibilge next year and he’s a lock for Buffalo. I get what you’re saying, but I just don’t buy that it’s truly an evaluation.

If you want to recall players and reward them, that’s fine. Maybe tone down the talk of wanting to win and making a deep run in Rochester then? Keep it consistent. Ullmark is unquestionably the MVP and the Amerks were 1 point away from home ice when he was called up. Now they’re going to drop into 4th.

I get the fact that it’s a requirement of all Sabres fans to defend every call up or move related to the Amerks, but perhaps they could’ve left him in Rochester to gear up for the playoffs. Don’t think it’s a huge ask or unreasonable complaint.

Seeing how he'd do in the NHL to help assertain whether Johnson would be good enough in a tandem or if they'd need a 40+ game veteran to pair w/ Ullmark.

His wife giving birth & his concussion blew that plan to heck.

Do you really believe his recall was going to sway roster decisions at G this summer? I personally don’t. Ullmark will be in Buffalo. That’s a lock. It was too small of a sample size, even if he didn’t get hurt, to impact what they do in the offseason. Whatever the plan was in February hasn’t changed from the recall. Edited by Amerks8796

Right. I know why he was recalled. I still don’t think it was needed. I’m sure it was a real “evaluation”. I’m sure moves will be made this summer based on the few pointless games he played. The guy is waiver elibilge next year and he’s a lock for Buffalo. I get what you’re saying, but I just don’t buy that it’s truly an evaluation.

If you want to recall players and reward them, that’s fine. Maybe tone down the talk of wanting to win and making a deep run in Rochester then? Keep it consistent. Ullmark is unquestionably the MVP and the Amerks were 1 point away from home ice when he was called up. Now they’re going to drop into 4th.

I get the fact that it’s a requirement of all Sabres fans to defend every call up or move related to the Amerks, but perhaps they could’ve left him in Rochester to gear up for the playoffs. Don’t think it’s a huge ask or unreasonable complaint.Do you really believe his recall was going to sway roster decisions at G this summer? I personally don’t. Ullmark will be in Buffalo. That’s a lock. It was too small of a sample size, even if he didn’t get hurt, to impact what they do in the offseason. Whatever the plan was in February hasn’t changed from the recall.

Yes, Ullmark is a lock for the Sabres next season.

But the point of pulling him up when they did was to get a 10+ game sample size of the team MINUS Lehner. Lehner, the clear starter, when healthy, during all 3 Eichel/O' Reilly seasons was not even dressing as the backup.

Seeing if Ullmark AND Johnson looked good enough was what was being evaluated. It wasn't supposed to just be about Ullmark. And considering this season is toast, it's better to find that out the last 3 weeks of this season rather than the 1st 3 weeks of next season.

And, if you want to see a Calder brought back to Ra-cha-cha, they'll have to beat the Marlies at some point. It's not a lock that it'll be in the 1st, but even if it is, so be it. Bring it on. The Amerks will have reinforcements. The Marlies won't in the 1st round. They likely will have some later. (TO isn't likely to beat the Bolts nor the B's.) Why not take them on in the 1st?

But the point of pulling him up when they did was to get a 10+ game sample size of the team MINUS Lehner. Lehner, the clear starter, when healthy, during all 3 Eichel/O' Reilly seasons was not even dressing as the backup.

Seeing if Ullmark AND Johnson looked good enough was what was being evaluated. It wasn't supposed to just be about Ullmark. And considering this season is toast, it's better to find that out the last 3 weeks of this season rather than the 1st 3 weeks of next season.

And, if you want to see a Calder brought back to Ra-cha-cha, they'll have to beat the Marlies at some point. It's not a lock that it'll be in the 1st, but even if it is, so be it. Bring it on. The Amerks will have reinforcements. The Marlies won't in the 1st round. They likely will have some later. (TO isn't likely to beat the Bolts nor the B's.) Why not take them on in the 1st?

And they’ve learned what? I doubt whatever plan they had 2 months ago for goaltending has changed. That’s where we disagree. I just don’t think it really meant anything regarding next season. It was a reward, if anything. Which I can understand and agree with.

As for playing the Marlies, I get that. Personally, even though they haven’t been good at home, I think it’s important to go for home ice. They clearly gave up on that by bringing Ullmark up. The Amerks weren’t going to pass Syracuse with Wilcox.

I’m not here to whine about every call up. I haven’t done that at all. I don’t have a problem with Guhle, even though they didn’t need him. But they had defensive depth. Wilcox is terrible and it seems like the sold out the team down the stretch.

Edited by Amerks8796

And they’ve learned what? I doubt whatever plan they had 2 months ago for goaltending has changed. That’s where we disagree. I just don’t think it really meant anything regarding next season. It was a reward, if anything. Which I can understand and agree with.

As for playing the Marlies, I get that. Personally, even though they haven’t been good at home, I think it’s important to go for home ice. They clearly gave up on that by bringing Ullmark up. The Amerks weren’t going to pass Syracuse with Wilcox.

I’m not here to whine about every call up. I haven’t done that at all. I don’t have a problem with Guhle, even though they didn’t need him. But they had defensive depth. Wilcox is terrible and it seems like the sold out the team down the stretch.

What did they learn? Probably that Ullmark seems like he'll be an awesome dad & that he should've gotten a new mask much more recently than he did last. ;)

Obviously w/ the timing of his 1st child & (hopefully only his) 1st concussion they aren't learning bupkis. Is there any reason for us to presumptively assume that these events wouldn't have happened had he stayed in Ra-cha-cha?

As for bringing up Wilcox over Johansson, what sort of message do they send to Wilcox if they DON'T bring him up next? Depending on how long it takes for Linus to clear, they just might need him in round 1. Why tell him to suck eggs at this point? They are trying to reinforce to the players that you will be rewarded if you've earned it when opportunity arises. Does moving Johansson ahead of Wilcox show management living the values they espouse?

Totally get that it's frustrating watching a promising season seem to blow up. Good news is, only 2 more weekends until the cavalry comes back to the fort.

What did they learn? Probably that Ullmark seems like he'll be an awesome dad & that he should've gotten a new mask much more recently than he did last. ;)

Obviously w/ the timing of his 1st child & (hopefully only his) 1st concussion they aren't learning bupkis. Is there any reason for us to presumptively assume that these events wouldn't have happened had he stayed in Ra-cha-cha?

As for bringing up Wilcox over Johansson, what sort of message do they send to Wilcox if they DON'T bring him up next? Depending on how long it takes for Linus to clear, they just might need him in round 1. Why tell him to suck eggs at this point? They are trying to reinforce to the players that you will be rewarded if you've earned it when opportunity arises. Does moving Johansson ahead of Wilcox show management living the values they espouse?

Totally get that it's frustrating watching a promising season seem to blow up. Good news is, only 2 more weekends until the cavalry comes back to the fort.

Like I said, I think he was the assumed starter next year in Botterill’s mind, regardless of this call up. He’s earned the opportunity. I think the focus in mid March when he was recalled should’ve been in locking in a playoff spot for the Amerks. Sexton and Botterill have spoken repeatedly about it. Yes, the playoffs weren’t in question, but the spot was. Fans shouldn’t be happy with settling for 4th place when 2nd was in reach, AHL or not. I’ve agreed with a lot of things Botterill has done, not this one. Not surprisingly, the Amerks can barely sniff a win with Wilcox. He’s awful.

And speaking of Wilcox, maybe you misunderstood my post. I don’t have a problem with him being called up.

Overall, they probably don’t have a chance against anyone in round 1. Ullmark or no Ullmark, the team in front of him and been Sabres level bad since February.

Like I said, I think he was the assumed starter next year in Botterill’s mind, regardless of this call up. He’s earned the opportunity. I think the focus in mid March when he was recalled should’ve been in locking in a playoff spot for the Amerks. Sexton and Botterill have spoken repeatedly about it. Yes, the playoffs weren’t in question, but the spot was. Fans shouldn’t be happy with settling for 4th place when 2nd was in reach, AHL or not. I’ve agreed with a lot of things Botterill has done, not this one. Not surprisingly, the Amerks can barely sniff a win with Wilcox. He’s awful.

And speaking of Wilcox, maybe you misunderstood my post. I don’t have a problem with him being called up.

Overall, they probably don’t have a chance against anyone in round 1. Ullmark or no Ullmark, the team in front of him and been Sabres level bad since February.

This is likely my last post about this as we seem to be talking past 1 another.

IMO, the Ullmark callup, as stated previously, was about evaluating the TANDEM of Ullmark & Johnson. Not JUST Ullmark. They can't see how the dynamic between Linus & Chad and even more importantly how that dynamic affects their teammates (if in fact it does) w/out having them together. They also were trying to see how the team reacted to NOT having Lehner being "the man." We've seen that movie, and don't need to see it again. :lol:

Again, IMHO, it is better to check that stuff out now rather than in October. Stinks that they won't get their answers now, but it was worth trying to find out.

As for "gearing up for the playoff run," provided Ullmark is healthy he'll be in net 2-3 games prior to the playoffs, and the gearing up can begin then. ;) The team has been losing w/ Ullmark and has done so fairly regularly since Ullmark's & Guhle's earlier callups. (Even though Ullmark had been playing regularly, they still were losing.) Maybe, as a playoff spot was already essentially guaranteed, they figured getting those 2 back the weekend before the playoffs would reverse the mojo? Don't know that for sure; you'd have to ask them why the decision was made.

At least we'll have that

I’ll have the satisfaction of just being there. I missed the last ten due to OT.

F@ckn hockey, eh?

I decided to give the vouchers to charity.

There’s more OT to come though, there may be more vouchers yet.

This is likely my last post about this as we seem to be talking past 1 another.

IMO, the Ullmark callup, as stated previously, was about evaluating the TANDEM of Ullmark & Johnson. Not JUST Ullmark. They can't see how the dynamic between Linus & Chad and even more importantly how that dynamic affects their teammates (if in fact it does) w/out having them together. They also were trying to see how the team reacted to NOT having Lehner being "the man." We've seen that movie, and don't need to see it again. :lol:

Again, IMHO, it is better to check that stuff out now rather than in October. Stinks that they won't get their answers now, but it was worth trying to find out.

As for "gearing up for the playoff run," provided Ullmark is healthy he'll be in net 2-3 games prior to the playoffs, and the gearing up can begin then. ;) The team has been losing w/ Ullmark and has done so fairly regularly since Ullmark's & Guhle's earlier callups. (Even though Ullmark had been playing regularly, they still were losing.) Maybe, as a playoff spot was already essentially guaranteed, they figured getting those 2 back the weekend before the playoffs would reverse the mojo? Don't know that for sure; you'd have to ask them why the decision was made.

We’ll just agree to disagree and leave it at that. Evaluating a tandem is weird and I’d disagree even more with that call if that’s the case.

Any decision made with the effect of making me have to watch Lehner play less is a good decision.

Very nice and endorsed.

Good stuff here boys.  I probably agree with Taro that the key point was evaluating Ullmark/CJ in the absence of Lehner, but Amerks8796 has some good points too.

We’ll just agree to disagree and leave it at that. Evaluating a tandem is weird and I’d disagree even more with that call if that’s the case.

Fair enough. :beer:

Very nice and endorsed.

Good stuff here boys.  I probably agree with Taro that the key point was evaluating Ullmark/CJ in the absence of Lehner, but Amerks8796 has some good points too.

Not just the Ullmark/ Johnson tandem, but the rest of the team in a relatively Lehner-free environment as well. Starting to come around to D4rk's idea that the team just doesn't trust Lehner enough to be effective in front of him.

Amerks won in OT with Johansson in goal. Blackwell 2G 2A. Borgen was -1, wearing #3. But Utica won too, so the Amerks are clinging to a 1 point lead.

Cincinnati also won in OT, with 2 goalies (Stewart, Taylor) that they just signed earlier in the day.

Amerks win 5-3. Long lost prospect Eric Cornel with 2 goals.

Cornel, Karabacek, Stephens, Martin, Kasdorf are all long lost.  I have some hope yet for Stephens.  Kasdorf is toast when his ELC

ends this year. It's too bad that it we cannot (or are not nasty enough) to buy out some of these ELCs.  We could use some more

space to sign more projects (like college free agents; like Glotov, Bryson, Hagel(?), et cetera). 

How did Philly get Philippe Myers?  QMJHL UFA.  We need our scouts to do more, be smarter, have more luck.

Edited by etiennep99

Cornel, Karabacek, Stephens, Martin, Kasdorf are all long lost.  I have some hope yet for Stephens.  Kasdorf is toast when his ELC

ends this year. It's too bad that it we cannot (or are not nasty enough) to buy out some of these ELCs.  We could use some more

space to sign more projects (like college free agents; like Glotov, Bryson, Hagel(?), et cetera). 

How did Philly get Philippe Myers?  QMJHL UFA.  We need our scouts to do more, be smarter, have more luck.

The Sabres have 46 contracts of the allowed 50 contracts.  They have plenty of room to add a couple of FAs.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.