Rochester Americans 2017/2018

LGR4GM

Cornel, Karabacek, Stephens, Martin, Kasdorf are all long lost. I have some hope yet for Stephens. Kasdorf is toast when his ELC

ends this year. It's too bad that it we cannot (or are not nasty enough) to buy out some of these ELCs. We could use some more

space to sign more projects (like college free agents; like Glotov, Bryson, Hagel(?), et cetera).

How did Philly get Philippe Myers? QMJHL UFA. We need our scouts to do more, be smarter, have more luck.

We have CJ Smith, Casey Nelson and Evan Rodrigues all from college UFA. I don't think the Sabres are behind the curve on that front.

Nylander scored his 7th goal of the year last night.

He has 17 goals in 112 games since we drafted him almost 2 years ago.

I'm far from his biggest defender, but this seems unnecessarily harsh. For one, Nylander is primarily a playmaker and I see only talk of goals. He's got 37 assists, bumping the total up to 54 points in 113 games. Not spectacular, but for a kid trying to adapt to the pro game, with injury setbacks to boot, it's not so bad.

And two: Nylander has 17 points in his last 20 games. #promotionmaterial

Edited by Thorny

I'm far from his biggest defender, but this seems unnecessarily harsh. For one, Nylander is primarily a playmaker and I see only talk of goals. He's got 37 assists, bumping the total up to 54 points in 113 games. Not spectacular, but for a kid trying to adapt to the pro game, with injury setbacks to boot, it's not so bad.

If two stats listed by themselves, without cherrypicking (taking the whole sample size), without any adjectives or conclusions drawn from them or anything of that nature, seem unnecessarily harsh, then maybe you're being too easy on him  :flirt:

And I listed goals because there have been 30 posts in the past two days about Nylander being the guy to finish Jack's setups, developing to be his wingman etc. as recently as just a few posts above yours. 

You know what I mean. You framed his stats in the most negative way possible. I get it, and it's fair to point out his lack of goal scoring.

My post just served to provide a little more information on his stats as a whole, for those passing through.

He has 17 goals in 113 games. It's true. But he also has 54 points.

Edited by Thorny

And he's got just a handful of primary assists over the entire season.

And he's got just a handful of primary assists over the entire season.

Ya, I haven't watched the games so unfortunately cannot comment on how often the secondary assists were key on the goals.

The thing is, the points are coming now. That can only be a good thing.

You know what I mean. You framed his stats in the most negative way possible. I get it, and it's fair to point out his lack of goal scoring.

My post just served to provide a little more information on his stats as a whole, for those passing through.

He has 17 goals in 113 games. It's true. But he also has 54 points.

I framed nothing, I list just goals all the time. I don't think I've ever posted Ovechkin's assist or point total here but I probably have 200+ posts on how amazing Ovechkin has been. 

And I'll say that you're framing them too positively - until about 10 days ago, not a single one of Nylander's assists on the seasons were from him passing the puck to a person and that person scoring. Not a single one. They were all "oh, Nylander misses the net and a player does the work and collects it and scores" or secondary assists of some kind. 

There is no positive way to frame that goal total, even if he is pacing to be a 30something point AHL player, which also doesn't shine brightly on him, and that's before you even get to eyewitness accounts from Amerks fans here that he looks worse than those numbers would suggest.

Ok, he's terrible.

I have to learn to read the room better.

All I did was list a more complete picture of his stats thus far than you did. Take it or leave it.

One is going to get a more accurate, balanced view of Nylander's time so far in Rochester if his assist and point totals are listed as well, that was my original point. Beyond that folks can draw their own conclusions.

Kris Baker for one has a lot of positive to say about him, which could potentially be just as telling as various anecdotal message board accounts.

I framed nothing, I list just goals all the time. I don't think I've ever posted Ovechkin's assist or point total here but I probably have 200+ posts on how amazing Ovechkin has been. 

And I'll say that you're framing them too positively - until about 10 days ago, not a single one of Nylander's assists on the seasons were from him passing the puck to a person and that person scoring. Not a single one

Is this actually supposed to be plural or were you just referring to this season specifically?

Taylor called him a sponge on WGR Friday.

Soaking up everything the coaches tell him, staying late for extra work and starting to use his speed and strength on the ice.

Fact: he was awful for the first year and a half.

Fact: he was a teenager on his own in a poisonous environment last year.

Fact: he worked hard on his strength and fitness over the summer.

Fact: he had a serious injury in camp that has essentially cost him the first half of this season.

Fact: over the past 20-25 games he has produced solid second-line AHL numbers.

Clearly he has had some built-in excuses, clearly he has improved, clearly he has a long way to go.

Soaking up everything the coaches tell him, staying late for extra work and starting to use his speed and strength on the ice.

Fact: he had a serious injury in camp that has essentially cost him the first half of this season.

Clearly he has had some built-in excuses, clearly he has improved, clearly he has a long way to go.

Good post.

You can’t call Nylander anything other than disappointing so far.

Don’t think he’s as far off the curve of a lot of other players of his ilk as we perceive him to be.

Im not predicting it, but I also see no reason why he can’t emerge as a legitimate AHL player next year and push for Sabre time later in the year. Look at what Dylan Strome, Timo Maier, Kyle Connor Jake Debrusk and Evgeny Svechnikov did in their 20 year old seasons.

Of course we’d rather see Connor than Svechnikov, but players are going to develop at different rates.

Edited by dudacek

Great post. He's struggled, but next season could have been and probably should have been his first in the AHL. If he puts it all together next year, he's right back on schedule.

Since he has 26 pts in 48 games, this means he had 9 pts in his 1st 28 games -- so that is certainly an encouraging trend.

If two stats listed by themselves, without cherrypicking (taking the whole sample size), without any adjectives or conclusions drawn from them or anything of that nature, seem unnecessarily harsh, then maybe you're being too easy on him  :flirt:

And I listed goals because there have been 30 posts in the past two days about Nylander being the guy to finish Jack's setups, developing to be his wingman etc. as recently as just a few posts above yours. 

Nylander-as-Eichel's-triggerman is certainly a SabreSpace thing.

And I'll say that you're framing them too positively - until about 10 days ago, not a single one of Nylander's assists on the seasons were from him passing the puck to a person and that person scoring. Not a single one. They were all "oh, Nylander misses the net and a player does the work and collects it and scores" or secondary assists of some kind. 

There is no positive way to frame that goal total, even if he is pacing to be a 30something point AHL player, which also doesn't shine brightly on him, and that's before you even get to eyewitness accounts from Amerks fans here that he looks worse than those numbers would suggest.

Very nice. 

It's probably not quite that bad though.

I missed a big stretch of games but the ones before and especially the one after my hiatus he looked aggressive. It looks like he’s been putting in extra work. Driving hard into the zone maybe even taking a play from Eichel’s book with the one hand stick/one hand fending off the defender. That’s a plus.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.