The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

Seriously? D-i-k-e doesn't make it pass the censor?

The word you're thinking of is not even spelled the same.

@boyes - Bogo has not been playing with McCabe at all. He played with Scandella in camp and Beaulieu last night in the exhibition match.

Risto has been with Guhle and McCabe with Fedun.

Thanks for the clarification. I remember Bogo playing with a better than expected partner (Scandella) in camp and I guessed wrong.

Pommers played about 12 minutes 5 on 5 last year with an additional 2 minutes evenly divided between pk and pp. (14 minutes overall)

Jack played nearly 20 minutes per game with 3 minutes pp time and 17 minutes 5 on 5.

That's a pretty big gap.

Kane played 19 minutes including 3 minutes of special teams. I was surprised with 2 minutes a night of PP time, that he didn't have more PP pts.

So ?  We'll be playing with 6 centers in our line up next  year, I'm sure Samson or Zemgus can take some minutes on the RW with Jack again.

And Larsson can be moved up to 3C anytime.

Interesting comments by Housley on Bailey. He wants Bailey to be a forechecker and learn to kill penalties. He thinks those are great uses of his speed. TBN talks about Bailey wanting to be a scoring winger, but Kane proves you can be an effective forechecker and goal scorer.

If Bailey wants to make this team out of camp, he'll need to be more physical. It's clear from the 1st two pre-season games that the Sabres want to see if Griffith and Bailey are NHL because we need their speed to run Wowie's system effectively.

The battle between Tennyson, Antipin, Gorges and Falk for D slots 6-8 is going to get really heated. If Tennyson continues to draw praise with his play, he might just steal the 6th slot, forcing Antipin to 7. I actually like this idea. Antipin might benefit from spot duty early in the year as he adjusts to the NA game, English and Housley's system. Essentially an extended camp. His abilty to move the puck and play either side makes him an excellent choice for utility D. Tennyson as the 3rd pairing RD balances the units as well.

Interesting comments by Housley on Bailey. He wants Bailey to be a forechecker and learn to kill penalties. He thinks those are great uses of his speed. TBN talks about Bailey wanting to be a scoring winger, but Kane proves you can be an effective forechecker and goal scorer.

If Bailey wants to make this team out of camp, he'll need to be more physical. It's clear from the 1st two pre-season games that the Sabres want to see if Griffith and Bailey are NHL because we need their speed to run Wowie's system effectively.

The battle between Tennyson, Antipin, Gorges and Falk for D slots 6-8 is going to get really heated. If Tennyson continues to draw praise with his play, he might just steal the 6th slot, forcing Antipin to 7. I actually like this idea. Antipin might benefit from spot duty early in the year as he adjusts to the NA game, English and Housley's system. Essentially an extended camp. His abilty to move the puck and play either side makes him an excellent choice for utility D. Tennyson as the 3rd pairing RD balances the units as well.

Only concern is I thought Antipin came over to play in the NHL, and was less likely to stay if he didn't make the team. Not sure how he would handle the 7th defenseman role.

That and we should be a little more patient with his play early in camp, since he is acclimating to the USA, learning the system and english all at once. 

Sounds like guys who have been here, playing with new guys.

Risto with new guy, Bogo with new guy, McCabe with new guy?

To the first bolded:  When I read forechecker/PK, my mind immediately went to Kane who is a fully developed instance of Housley's Concept of Bailey.  And by the way, Kane is a very effective goal scorer who nevertheless played quite a bit on the 3rd line last year.  Bailey could have a great opportunity here:  If he can develop his game enough along Housley's direction, he could very well make Kane, who's contract is up after this year, expendable.  In other words, he's grooming Bailey to take Kane's spot.  If I'm Bailey and I realize this, I'm gonna work my ass off to learn how to forecheck and play PK the way Housley wants.  If he does that, it could lead to better things for him down the road, not to mention a permanent NHL slot.

Only concern is I thought Antipin came over to play in the NHL, and was less likely to stay if he didn't make the team. Not sure how he would handle the 7th defenseman role.

That and we should be a little more patient with his play early in camp, since he is acclimating to the USA, learning the system and english all at once. 

First paragraph:  Look, if he's the 7th or 8th best defenseman on the team, he's going to have to come to grips with that.  If he's that close, though, some work on his North American game could pretty quickly push him into a regular NHL role.  If he can't see that and goes back to the KHL because he doesn't make the Sabres out of camp, that's a bigger loss for him than it is for the Sabres.

Second paragraph:  Fully agree.

Seems like he likes him but wants to mold him the right way. 

To the first bolded:  When I read forechecker/PK, my mind immediately went to Kane who is a fully developed instance of Housley's Concept of Bailey.  And by the way, Kane is a very effective goal scorer who nevertheless played quite a bit on the 3rd line last year.  Bailey could have a great opportunity here:  If he can develop his game enough along Housley's direction, he could very well make Kane, who's contract is up after this year, expendable.  In other words, he's grooming Bailey to take Kane's spot.  If I'm Bailey and I realize this, I'm gonna work my ass off to learn how to forecheck and play PK the way Housley wants.  If he does that, it could lead to better things for him down the road, not to mention a permanent NHL slot.

Interesting

Fasching for Foligno, Bailey for Kane, Baptiste for Pominville, Nylander for Moulson - it is what good teams do in the cap world.

You've got to constantly be actively grooming replacements for your current players.  I remember when Detroit's dynasty was clicking, there literally weren't enough spots on the NHL roster for the talent they hand, and players the caliber Hudler, Filppula, Helm and Ericsson were stashed in Grand Rapids chomping at the bit to their opportunity with the big club.  If they stayed there until they were a bit over-done, they often hit the NHL with a splash.  I think the Sabres may be approaching that, and the stated philosophy of JBot of building a winning tradition at the farm level seems to be fully in line with that.

Edited by Doohickie

Pouliot - Reinhart - Rodrigues

Intruiging.

How's Pominville's defensive play, these days? Pouliot - Reinhart - Pominville may be a little more defensively stable. But if that's our 3rd line, it's going to be used for offensive mismatches against the lower skill lines of other teams, so the version with E-Rod could be enticing.

Like that line.

This all day. MattyMo is nowhere near worth his contract. He is not totally useless. Two very different arguments.

Well, I think that if Moulson were on a 2-way deal, they'd send him down without thinking twice -- i.e. he's not good enough to be in the lineup.

I think that if Pommer still has the hands and the timing to convert one-timers in tight, he should be on the PP with Jack.  Those shifts don't require as much energy as 5-on-5 shifts. 

I like Qwk's idea about subbing in another RW for a couple of 5-on-5 shifts per game if Pommer needs some rest.

Also, Pommer shouldn't be on the PK.

Considering that in order to give Eichel & O'Reilly the ~18 minutes / game that they'll both be getting (deservely) & the bottom line will be getting ~10 minutes per game - leaving about 14 minutes for the 3rd (aka Reinhart's) line give him acouple of minutes (3-4 shifts) w/ Eichel per game & then Pominville is approaching a likely manageable 15-16 minutes/game. (Ideally sliding him towards 14/game w/ decreased ST's relative to Jack & Ryan.)