The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

Boogaloo

Of course. That is so much better :D

Sabres defence, electric boogaloo

On the other hand, I'll allow this :P

... The AM, the FM and the PM too ... turning out that boogaloo ...

:flirt:

There are several around here that I fully expect will get that reference.

I think the top line will likely start as Kane-Eichel-Pommer.   Pommer is not destined to stay there, he is a placeholder for Nylander (if he steps up) or somebody else.

ROR will play with Okposo and ?

Reinhart will centre the third line unless injuries force them to use him on the wing.

No idea on the rest right now. 

It would seem that ROR and Reinhart are being auditioned to see if either can center a 3rd line capable of equal playing time with the 1st and 2nd lines. 

Was there anything in last night's game to suggest that ROR centering Poolyaht and JAG1 is worthy of full minutes?  I didn't get the impression that there was much "center elevating the game of the wingers" going on last night.

ROR looked good at times, you could tell he was covering for lesser line mates. Paliot was mediocre, took way to many penalties and was a non factor.

Griffith was better. He made some good plays and had a great scoring chance. I like his speed. I would want a longer look at him.

Edited by LGR4GM

We have all assumed that Pouliot was "guaranteed" a slot in the top 9, but his deal is only $1 mill or so. Could Housley and Jbot go young, keep Bailey, Griffith and ERod/Fasching and make Pouliot the 13th forward?

We have a lot of right shot forwards.

We have a lot of right shot forwards.

I hadn't realized that Nylander, Baptiste, Fasching, ERod, Bailey, and Griffith are all R shots. That said, I know Bailey has been working at LW as well.

Kane Jack Pommers

Bailey ROR Okposo

Girgensons Reinhart Griffith

Pouliot Larsson Fasching

Moulson

Edited by GASabresFan

I hadn't realized that Nylander, Baptiste, Fasching, ERod, Bailey, and Griffith are all R shots. That said, I know Bailey has been working at LW as well.

Kane Jack Pommers

Bailey ROR Okposo

Girgensons Reinhart Griffith

Pouliot Larsson Fasching

Moulson

Kane Jack Pommers

ReinhartROR Okposo

Bailey Girgensons whoever

Pouliot Larsson Fasching

I find it mildly interesting that folks are content to see our #2 overall pick play in a 3rd line role which will result in reduced ice time.  Sunk costs and all that, but we didn't tank for a 3rd line center.  Well, I guess we did.  But that wasn't what we were sold at the time.

Because he is the new David Legwand. Legwand was 2nd overall pick and had a decently long nhl career but underachieved and basically amounted to being a utility forward. This is all Reinhart is. Put him on any good team and do you really see him above the 3rd line? I think not. 

Because he is the new David Legwand. Legwand was 2nd overall pick and had a decently long nhl career but underachieved and basically amounted to being a utility forward. This is all Reinhart is. Put him on any good team and do you really see him above the 3rd line? I think not.

He was a good #2 RW last season, and that is respectable. Pominville's presence on the team may or may not close that particular job opening.

I'm not down on the kid. I just think there is alot more emotional attachment to the idea of him as an above average center than is warranted by his play to date. I dont think he's good enough to elevate play of those around him. I do think he'll probably make a fine #3 center regardless. And I still think he's more valuable as Jacks RW than as Poolyaht and JAGs center.

Your agenda is getting old

Samson scored 23 goals his rookie year. Legwand beat that total once in 16 seasons (!) in the NHL.

Let's see how this plays out. 

Here's the bottom line imo, due to his upbringing he has great hockey sense and can think the situation through really well. one day he could make a great hockey coach BUT he is not physical and he is not fast enough to be a star in this new speed oriented nhl. He will get some points if he plays with true stars, but in no way can this guy become a true star himself.

My narrative may be getting old, but if the shoe fits................

Reinhart (I cannot use that Samson nickname cause it's stupid - the guy is weak) does not elevate Jack, he holds him back. 

It may be unpopular, and this is going off the eye test only (I'm not into the stats as much as y'all) but I kind of agree that Samson just doesn't have the "it" factor, he may be a tad above the JAG level, but if we can get real value for him, I would pull the trigger.... We have him cost controlled which is nice, but he's going to end up commanding more than I feel we should pay him, and i do belive that his production could be replaced.

It may be unpopular, and this is going off the eye test only (I'm not into the stats as much as y'all) but I kind of agree that Samson just doesn't have the "it" factor, he may be a tad above the JAG level, but if we can get real value for him, I would pull the trigger.... We have him cost controlled which is nice, but he's going to end up commanding more than I feel we should pay him, and i do belive that his production could be replaced.

Cost controlled is big though.  And if there is reason to keep him, this is a big part of it.  A 3rd line center or #2 RW that is effective AND cost controlled.  You can replace his production, but I doubt you replace it with a cost controlled player.