Kane - Eichel - Pommer

Girgensons- ROR- Fasching

Pouliot- Reinhart- Okposo

Haglin- Rodrigues- Bailey

Scandella- Risto

McCabe- Tennyson

Beaulieu- Bogo

Trade Larsson and Gorges to Pittsburg for Haglin

I honestly think we should be getting something back with Hagelin.  He's really average.  Sorry, I don't really see it.  So unless we're getting back something appetizing, I'd rather keep Larsson.  

Kane-Eichel-Pominville

Girgensons-ROR-Okposo

Pouliot-Reinhart-Baptist

Moulson-Larsson-ERod

Scandella-Risto

McCabe-Bogo

Beaulieu-Antipin

Also, Moulson should be the 13th forward, he's a terrible fit for the fourth line.  

The Sabres returned 4 to jrs today.  http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/sabres-send-four-prospects-back-juniors

Apparently Cliff Pu remains in camp for now if I read this quote correctly.  

[/size]

Wasn't there a better way to say this?[/size]

Wait till he gets in a fight!

Griffith may be in the mix more than most have considered - one-way contract, fits the Botterill/Pittsburgh mould of speedy wingers, has played and produced in both exhibition games and has done so without playing wit any of the big guns.

Yup. At least to start, I think this line up will be as different from last year's as possible. All the question marks will come down to speed. This will be a much faster team than last year - at least I hope so. 

In the early going it looks like:

Kane - Eichel - Pominville

Girgensons - O'Reilly - Okposo

Pouliot - Reinhart - Rodrigues

Moulson - Larsson - Fasching

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe- Antipin

Beaulieu - Bogosian

Lehner

Johnson

(Josefsson, Gorges)

If the top line clicks in a very real way, the Sabres will have a chance to be a very good team.

Nylander, Baptiste, Bailey, Guhle - all on a hopefully much improved AHL squad.

Oof. I hope everyone is thrilled with Reino centering that garbage line.

And how long before Samson is back to wing when that fails? Sam can't do it all himself. I just hope his talents don't get wasted surrounded by lesser talents

I believe Pouliot to be a capable finisher for Sam. And he's fast. The RW can be the grinder on that line. Griffith is quite appealing here potentially as his hockey sense looks to be pretty good.

Oof. I hope everyone is thrilled with Reino centering that garbage line.

Meh. I don't think it's garbage. If Sam excels at C he's going to elevate his wingers. And that line would feast on matchups likely. They would be gifted plenty of offensive zone starts and few defensive I would assume.

Those top two lines are going to be fine without him, who else maximizes what we can get from a 3rd line more? We could slide Rodrigues to C on the 3rd line, or Josefsson. I think Reinhart at 3C is going to best maximize our depth throughout the lineup.

Pouliot and Rodrigues are not a match up favor for us regardless of the line they are on the ice against.  One is a 3rd liner all day long and the other is a borderline NHLer.

We'd see soon enough if Sam is capable of raising the play of his linemates.  I'm guessing he can't in this case.

Edited by We've

Pouliot and Rodrigues are not a match up favor for us regardless of the line they are on the ice against. One is a 3rd liner all day long and the other is a borderline NHLer.

We'd see soon enough if Sam is capable of raising the play of his linemates. I'm guessing he can't in this case.

The only reason Reinhart would be at C is if he excels there. If he excels there, he's going to make Pouliot look better than your average 3rd liner. Rodrigues was just a guess, but he's looked solid in camp.

When someone says that the wingers on a hypothetical 3rd line, with Sam at C, aren't strong enough, to my mind they are really saying that Sam isn't a good enough centre for that line. Good centres elevate the play of their wingers. If Sam progresses as we hope, the third line will cause beneficial matchups for us as a result of who our 3rd line centre is.

The key here is Reinhart. And he's been one of the main keys to our franchise since we drafted him. Let's give him a chance to elevate.

Edited by Thorny

I think the world of Sam, but I don't think he's going to be able to elevate two players in his first year at centre that I doubt ROR could elevate in his prime. He needs a finisher.

I'm surprised there hasn't been much voicing of concern about who Reinhart has been playing with in camp, at least not that I've seen, as the above does seem to be the consensus. Pouliot is someone he has been playing with a bunch. Maybe not Rodrigues, but whether it's Moses or Bailey, it's really the same difference.

Edited by Thorny

Or stop thinking of Sam as a top line player...............

I find it mildly interesting that folks are content to see our #2 overall pick play in a 3rd line role which will result in reduced ice time.  Sunk costs and all that, but we didn't tank for a 3rd line center.  Well, I guess we did.  But that wasn't what we were sold at the time.

I find it mildly interesting that folks are content to see our #2 overall pick play in a 3rd line role which will result in reduced ice time.  Sunk costs and all that, but we didn't tank for a 3rd line center.  Well, I guess we did.  But that wasn't what we were sold at the time.

Though it wasn't what was being sold, there were several people here that understood that not only was tanking a poor method to build a team but that Regier chose the year BETWEEN the MacKinnon & McEichel drafts to tank which was beyond moronic. Fortunately <_< we got 2 bottom feeding years for the price of 1 and still landed Eichel.

But Darcy was the one that decided to tank when Eckblad or Reinhart was the prize. And the guy that projected out as a 2nd line C WAS the coveted prize.

Though it wasn't what was being sold, there were several people here that understood that not only was tanking a poor method to build a team but that Regier chose the year BETWEEN the MacKinnon & McEichel drafts to tank which was beyond moronic. Fortunately <_< we got 2 bottom feeding years for the price of 1 and still landed Eichel.

But Darcy was the one that decided to tank when Eckblad or Reinhart was the prize. And the guy that projected out as a 2nd line C WAS the coveted prize.

I don't think tanking was a poor team building method at all. That said, the 2013 draft was the time to tank or at least mini tank. There were 7 players at the top of the draft and 4 were centers. MacKinnon, Lindholm, Monahan, Barkov. Then you had the non centers in Drouin, Jones, and Ristolainen. We got lucky in 2013 at #8 because The Oilers took Nurse instead of Risto. Now you look at 2014 and the full rebuild was going on. Darcy believed that Reinhart could be a 1st line NHL center. At the current moment we don't know if that is true and the best part is we don't have to. By tanking for Jack Eichel and trading for ROR we effectively added a generational type player and a top 5 2-way center allowing Reinhart to shift down.

I do not view the 3rd line as the 3rd best line or some energy line, or a grinding line, or a shutdown line. It is a mismatch line. Pouliot - Reinhart - Griffith/Bailey are going to be playing against teams with 3rd line centers. That is a matchup win for us. I think Reinhart can be a 2nd line center given time, but if my centers are so good he has to be on the 3rd line with #1pp time, sign me up. 

I don't think tanking was a poor team building method at all. That said, the 2013 draft was the time to tank or at least mini tank. There were 7 players at the top of the draft and 4 were centers. MacKinnon, Lindholm, Monahan, Barkov. Then you had the non centers in Drouin, Jones, and Ristolainen. We got lucky in 2013 at #8 because The Oilers took Nurse instead of Risto. Now you look at 2014 and the full rebuild was going on. Darcy believed that Reinhart could be a 1st line NHL center. At the current moment we don't know if that is true and the best part is we don't have to. By tanking for Jack Eichel and trading for ROR we effectively added a generational type player and a top 5 2-way center allowing Reinhart to shift down.

I do not view the 3rd line as the 3rd best line or some energy line, or a grinding line, or a shutdown line. It is a mismatch line. Pouliot - Reinhart - Griffith/Bailey are going to be playing against teams with 3rd line centers. That is a matchup win for us. I think Reinhart can be a 2nd line center given time, but if my centers are so good he has to be on the 3rd line with #1pp time, sign me up.

You've bought tickets to how many games since the tank began?

Alienating your fans for 1/2 a decade is a poor method to build your team.

Edited by Taro T

You've bought tickets to how many games since the tank began?

Alienating your fans for 1/2 a decade is a poor method to build your team.

You are viewing it differently then I am. You are viewing it from the I pay and deserve better angle. I am viewing it from the only reason to exist is to win Stanley Cups angle. 

Back to the original point, I don't think we need to freak out because Reinhart is starting at 3rd line center. After we got Jack and ROR it was inevitable. The hope should be that in 3-5 years when ROR starts to slow down a touch (hopefully 5 years) that Sam will be doing great and can bump ROR out to wing. 

so where do we stand right now?

Kane Eichel Pommers  

???? ROR Okposo

???? Sam ?????

???? Larsson ?????

LW is kind of set with Pouliot, Girgensons and Moulson in some order

RW battle contineus with Griffith and Bailey maybe having a leg up because of speed, plus Fasching, Baptiste and Erod in the mix.

13th forward Erod vs Josefson vs Delo

????? Ristolainen

?????  ?????

Beaulieu Bogosian

McCabe and Scandella will likely be the LDs on pairings 1 & 2 (I kind of prefer McCabe with RIstolainen)

Battle for the 6th slot between Tennyson and Antipin. 

Battles for slots 7 & 8 Will Tennyson stay in Buffalo if he loses to Antipin for the 6th slot? Gorges vs Falk (who played both RD and LD last year) for 8th?

So who is having a good camp so far.

1) Pu is impressing Housley and the brass according to the media reports.  Do we have to raise our prospect opinion of him?

2) Griffith, the classic AAAA player, will he finally make the leap to NHLer? Grant had a good camp last year.

3) Tennyson.  Housley gave him strong praise for his play and for picking up the system after the last pre-season game.

4) Pommers.  Showing instant chemistry with the franchise player is probably a good thing.  He had 34 assists last season in a 3rd line role in Minn.  He he repeat feeding Jack and Kane?

5) Baloo and Bogo - Again showing early chemistry is a good thing

Edited by GASabresFan