The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

Looks like first two lines are:

Kane - Eich - Pommer

Girgs (or somebody) - ROR - KO

After one game, Pomminstein just seems to fit seamlessly with Jack.

In the early going it looks like:

Kane - Eichel - Pominville

Girgensons - O'Reilly - Okposo

Pouliot - Reinhart - Rodrigues

Moulson - Larsson - Fasching

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe- Antipin

Beaulieu - Bogosian

Lehner

Johnson

(Josefsson, Gorges)

If the top line clicks in a very real way, the Sabres will have a chance to be a very good team.

Nylander, Baptiste, Bailey, Guhle - all on a hopefully much improved AHL squad.

If we were to start tomorrow?

Based on what we've seen and Housley has said:

Pouliot - Reinhart - Z (Griffith, ERod, Bailey)

Josefson - Larson - Fasching

Deslauriers Moulson

Scandella - Risto

McCabe - Bogo

Beaulieu - Gorges

Antipin

I think this is where we are currently at after 2 games. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Looks like first two lines are:

Kane - Eich - Pommer

Girgs (or somebody) - ROR - KO

After one game, Pomminstein just seems to fit seamlessly with Jack.

I like Pommers with Eich, but I'm worried about him getting too many minutes at his, erm, advanced age. Heres a good snip from Coller this morning on the Star:

https://www.thebuffalostar.com/2017/09/pominville-can-still-play-if-used-correctly/

He wouldn’t be a terrible fit with Jack Eichel, as evidenced by his results against a watered down Pittsburgh roster last night, because Jack does most of the puck carrying and could use a smart winger who can pass. The problem is that Eichel is going to get everybody’s best shot. Sidney Crosby is going to play against Eichel all night when the Sabres play the actual Penguins. And Eichel is going to play all night. That’s too much to ask of Pominville.
Edited by sabills

Last year Bylsma tried to hide Eichel from the Sidney Crosby's of the world, I'm sure Housley does the same.

If the home/road thing (you were going to argue this, weren't you?) mattered so much, teams would be a lot better at home. I don't think it matters so much.

On preview: I'm much more with qwk on this one than WC

So what? Then put someone else on Eichel's wing for a few shifts. Or double shift Eichel. No matter what we're going to have some complimentary players on skill lines playing against the crosbys and whatnot.

And how many wings does this team have that are up to that task?  It's a very short list, so good luck finding one, let alone two who can fill that role.  If your team needs a guy like Eichel to take up so much ice time, you find a way to shuffle things around and make it happen.

And how many wings does this team have that are up to that task?  It's a very short list, so good luck finding one, let alone two who can fill that role.  If your team needs a guy like Eichel to take up so much ice time, you find a way to shuffle things around and make it happen.

I think the solution is that you put Pommers on the 2nd PP unit or not at all so that takes out 2-4 shifts a night he can rest up. Jack may play 19-20min but Pommers is playing 16. 

You know the fun part of matching Eichel against Crosby and the top D pair? That leaves ROR and Reinhart's lines to play against not Crosby. Also at home I bet ROR takes Sidney. 

Edited by LGR4GM

I think the solution is that you put Pommers on the 2nd PP unit or not at all so that takes out 2-4 shifts a night he can rest up. Jack may play 19-20min but Pommers is playing 16. 

You know the fun part of matching Eichel against Crosby and the top D pair? That leaves ROR and Reinhart's lines to play against not Crosby. Also at home I bet ROR takes Sidney. 

I like it much better against the mid-level teams of the world who don't have a Malkin waiting to jump out there with the next line.

I like Pommers with Eich, but I'm worried about him getting too many minutes at his, erm, advanced age. Heres a good snip from Coller this morning on the Star:

We're only talking about opening night roster here.  There will undoubtedly be changes as we move along through the season.

I think that if Pommer still has the hands and the timing to convert one-timers in tight, he should be on the PP with Jack.  Those shifts don't require as much energy as 5-on-5 shifts. 

I like Qwk's idea about subbing in another RW for a couple of 5-on-5 shifts per game if Pommer needs some rest.

Also, Pommer shouldn't be on the PK.

Last year Bylsma tried to hide Eichel from the Sidney Crosby's of the world, I'm sure Housley does the same.

If the home/road thing (you were going to argue this, weren't you?) mattered so much, teams would be a lot better at home. I don't think it matters so much.

On preview: I'm much more with qwk on this one than WC

It's not who they're playing against, it's how much. Can Pommers really sustain top line, hard minutes, all season? I'm not sure he's in the shape for that

So what? Then put someone else on Eichel's wing for a few shifts. Or double shift Eichel. No matter what we're going to have some complimentary players on skill lines playing against the crosbys and whatnot.

Yeah, I think thats a good possibility, but who's next up? Our RWs as of now are JP, Okposo and Your Name Here. Bailey or Baptiste popping in there a few shifts a game could work well, though.

Pommers played about 12 minutes 5 on 5 last year with an additional 2 minutes evenly divided between pk and pp. (14 minutes overall)

Jack played nearly 20 minutes per game with 3 minutes pp time and 17 minutes 5 on 5.

That's a pretty big gap.

Kane played 19 minutes including 3 minutes of special teams. I was surprised with 2 minutes a night of PP time, that he didn't have more PP pts.

You don't hide a $10 million man from anyone.

You strut him out with supreme arrogance, secure in the knowledge that if the opponent is lucky enough to break even, that ROR is feasting on the bones of whoever is on your second-string and Sam Reinhart is laughing in the faces of the poor fools on your third pair.

That is what having a franchise centre means and how strength down the middle should be used.

Edited by dudacek

You strut him out with supreme arrogance, secure in the knowledge that if the opponent is lucky enough to break even, that ROR is feasting on the bones of whoever is on your second-string and Sam Reinhart is laughing in the faces of the poor fools on your third pair.

That is what have a franchise centre means and how strength down the middle should be used.

I'm hoping you're not Botterill in real life

I'm hoping you're not Botterill in real life

Great teams are arrogant, my friend.

(And I do have a rather large cranium)

I'm tired of the Dan Bylsma finger-in-the-, everyone-else-is-so-good mentality.

Attack, trust your ability, go out and take what you want.

Edited by dudacek

In the early going it looks like:

Pouliot - Reinhart - Rodrigues

Moulson - Larsson - Fasching

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe- Antipin

Beaulieu - Bogosian

Lehner

Johnson

(Josefsson, Gorges)

If the top line clicks in a very real way, the Sabres will have a chance to be a very good team.

Nylander, Baptiste, Bailey, Guhle - all on a hopefully much improved AHL squad.

I think this is where we are at, with the one exception that I thought McCabe has been playing with Bogo so far in training camp, so that might be our 2nd pair.

I'm tired of the Dan Bylsma finger-in-the-######, everyone-else-is-so-good mentality.

Seriously? D-i-k-e doesn't make it pass the censor?

The word you're thinking of is not even spelled the same.

@boyes - Bogo has not been playing with McCabe at all. He played with Scandella in camp and Beaulieu last night in the exhibition match.

Risto has been with Guhle and McCabe with Fedun.

That is what having a franchise centre means and how strength down the middle should be used.

I'm tired of the Dan Bylsma finger-in-the-######, everyone-else-is-so-good mentality.

I'm pumped now

source.gif