Sabres Prospects 2017-2018

Doohickie

Won't need one for 10 + years if Ullmark pans out.

....and if he doesn’t?

ESPECIALLY when there is a "local" kid that's available at that same spot.

Still unhappy they didn't take Farrance w/ that pick.

Agreed. Not a pick I’ll ever understand.

I need to correct myself on one player. I’m still leaving him outside my top 20, but props to Glotov for scoring his 29th goal. Still his assists have fallen from 35 to 14 and he’s gone from +4 to -23, but scoring is something we lack and someone who can score might just get a look.

Duda made a prediction that Nylander would take off in the 2nd half of the season. With his groin injury behind him and many key Amerks in Buffalo, Nylander is getting more PT and he is producing.

Is this late season improvement just a factor of more PT? Is it real improvement? What does it mean for his future and for the Sabres?

Duda made a prediction that Nylander would take off in the 2nd half of the season. With his groin injury behind him and many key Amerks in Buffalo, Nylander is getting more PT and he is producing.

Is this late season improvement just a factor of more PT? Is it real improvement? What does it mean for his future and for the Sabres?

If Nylander could step it would be like found money... not counting on it, But add a top winger and an improved Nylander and the Sabres might might have a real team next year.

Is he still only getting secondary assists, or is he actually contributing to scoring plays now?

Edited by We've

Thanks for the short read. Surprised it says NHL arrival as next season. Boy is this a big offseason for Nylander. I, like some, have written off the idea of Nylander being a very impactful top 6 forward. But kid has mad skill. If he can figure out how to dramatically improve his all around game, it would be huge. He will be someone I will watch very closely when training camp opens in September.

Thanks for the short read. Surprised it says NHL arrival as next season. Boy is this a big offseason for Nylander. I, like some, have written off the idea of Nylander being a very impactful top 6 forward. But kid has mad skill. If he can figure out how to dramatically improve his all around game, it would be huge. He will be someone I will watch very closely when training camp opens in September.

He also bears watching over the next couple of months as the Amerks mount a playoff run. If he shines, perhaps we can put him back into prospect status.

Chris Peters has his latest Top 50 Out.

3. Casey Mittelstadt, C, Buffalo Sabres (No. 8, 2017)

Minnesota Golden Gophers (Big Ten): 34 GP, 11 G, 19 A

Mittelstadt has a case for being at the top of this list, but the one thing I'd like to see more from him before placing him ahead of these other two is more consistency. There is no question in my mind that he is one of the finest playmakers outside of the NHL right now. His ability to beat players one-on-one is such a separating factor, as Mittelstadt has a bottomless bag of tricks to fool defenders and stun goalies. He also has elite vision and patience with the puck on his stick.

The big question right now is what Mittelstadt will do after this season now that Minnesota missed out on the NCAA tournament and his coach is departing. He probably could play in the NHL as early as next season and do well, but his production at the college level was quite a bit below what we've seen top prospects do in recent years. At 0.88 points per game, Mittelstadt's immense skills didn't translate to gaudy totals. While that's a moderate concern, it's fair to point out that the Big Ten conference was far tougher this year than it was in recent seasons for guys like Kyle Connor and Dylan Larkin just a few short years ago. We also have the World Juniors to point for a sign of Mittelstadt maximizing his talent, claiming MVP honors and providing a truly dominant showing throughout.

There is little reason for Sabres fans to be anything less than thrilled he is part of the team's future. I've probably watched Mittelstadt more than any other player on this list, so I very well could be nitpicking here based on that, but I see a player who has not fully unlocked his potential. When and if he does, he has a chance to be special.

22. Alexander Nylander, RW, Buffalo Sabres (No. 8, 2016)

Rochester Americans (AHL): 43 GP, 6 G, 18 A

Everyone is waiting for Nylander to break out as a pro. It hasn't really happened yet. There are some valid concerns about effort level, and maybe he needs to find some confidence. There's little doubt he has the talent to be an impact player. He's showing some signs of life late in the season, though, with 11 points in his last 11 games for Rochester. Because of the skills he's shown at various points, there's enough intrigue to keep him among the top 25 prospects.

The latest Hockey News still rates Nylander a top prospect.

I'm hoping beyond hope the kid works out but this is lazy journalism at its best. They sight his 15 points in 15 games. Ummm... He scored 7 of those in garbage time blowouts rendering his "breakthrough" as 8 points in 13 games. Not bad but not exactly eye popping.

I'm hoping beyond hope the kid works out but this is lazy journalism at its best. They sight his 15 points in 15 games. Ummm... He scored 7 of those in garbage time blowouts rendering his "breakthrough" as 8 points in 13 games. Not bad but not exactly eye popping.

I am with you on your main point, but people parsing points into ones that should and shouldn’t count is a pet peeve.

Gretzky probably led the league in open net goals and second assists.

Nylander is one of those players that should be judged mostly on production, that’s what his game is about.

You are what your record says you are.

With Casey and Borgen now at loose ends, Jbot better get one or both signed asap. This franchise desperately needs an infusion of young talent and this fan base needs some good news. I’d say adding two of our top 8 prospects to either and or both the Sabres and Amerks would go along way to helping the mood in Buffalo and Sabresland.

With Casey and Borgen now at loose ends, Jbot better get one or both signed asap. This franchise desperately needs an infusion of young talent and this fan base needs some good news. I’d say adding two of our top 8 prospects to either and or both the Sabres and Amerks would go along way to helping the mood in Buffalo and Sabresland.

It might provide a little boost to the Sabre wonks out there, but it's not going to move the needle for Chetster and Muffina.

It might provide a little boost to the Sabre wonks out there, but it's not going to move the needle for Chetster and Muffina.

Fortunately, we are Sabre wonks.

Unfortunately, failure to sign both/either is going to make this place even more depressed and desolate than it is.

Fortunately, we are Sabre wonks.

Unfortunately, failure to sign both/either is going to make this place even more depressed and desolate than it is.

Loss of hope does that to a people.

Next season, rioting in the streets.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.