Sabres Prospects 2017-2018

Doohickie

For the hype Casey gets, and I know his team is supposedly pretty barren offensively, but the dude hasn't had close to the D+1 season that people he gets compared to often have had recently.

I like him, but we should be cautious about expectations. For example, Kyle Connor more than doubled Casey's scoring rate. 221% of his production, in fact, and two years later he's just now putting up a pretty solid NHL rookie campaign on a stacked team.

Keller scored at a 70% higher rate, and after a lightning hot start has faded to the background of Calder talks. Still a nice rookie season and a nice player.

Boeser was also almost 70% more productive in his respective season than Casey, and still took 2 more seasons to break into the league as a rookie hot shot.

I'll be happy if Casey is a good top six forward someday 3,4 years down the line, and anything more, anytime sooner is exceeding expectations for me.

His skill set is outrageous tho. He played high school last season and to jump right into D1 and do what he did in the WJC is pretty special.

Keller was on a stacked BU team (McAvoy, Greenway, Fabbro, Bellows, etc). Same with Boeser (Caggiula Scmaltz, Stecher).

Both Keller and Boeser also had 2 USHL seasons under their belts before college.

While Casey's production may not match those two, his upside is tantalizing.

His skill set is outrageous tho. He played high school last season and to jump right into D1 and do what he did in the WJC is pretty special.

Keller was on a stacked BU team (McAvoy, Greenway, Fabbro, Bellows, etc). Same with Boeser (Caggiula Scmaltz, Stecher).

Both Keller and Boeser also had 2 USHL seasons under their belts before college.

While Casey's production may not match those two, his upside is tantalizing.

This sounds like it would be Botterill’s thinking.

Casey’s combination of hands, competitiveness and confidence is Briere like.

I also see some Hawerchuk in him.

Not saying he will reach those heights, or that his success will happen overnight.

But he will score points in the NHL. Guaranteed.

Thorny nailed it. He just has the it factor.

Personally I think casey is at least a year away from the NHL.   Doubt he is on the big team next year.

I don't think he should. 1 year between high school hockey and then NHL? That is just asking for too much. If he wants to leave college then fine, sign him. Let him go to Rochester for an entire season and learn the system. He can work on his game and get stronger. 

For the hype Casey gets, and I know his team is supposedly pretty barren offensively, but the dude hasn't had close to the D+1 season that people he gets compared to often have had recently.

I like him, but we should be cautious about expectations. For example, Kyle Connor more than doubled Casey's scoring rate. 221% of his production, in fact, and two years later he's just now putting up a pretty solid NHL rookie campaign on a stacked team.

Keller scored at a 70% higher rate, and after a lightning hot start has faded to the background of Calder talks. Still a nice rookie season and a nice player.

Boeser was also almost 70% more productive in his respective season than Casey, and still took 2 more seasons to break into the league as a rookie hot shot.

I'll be happy if Casey is a good top six forward someday 3,4 years down the line, and anything more, anytime sooner is exceeding expectations for me.

Definitely fair, but I think that last little bit is quite pessimistic.

I don't think he should. 1 year between high school hockey and then NHL? That is just asking for too much. If he wants to leave college then fine, sign him. Let him go to Rochester for an entire season and learn the system. He can work on his game and get stronger.

Botterill is still (IIRC) the record holder w/ most WJC Gold medals & Housley went straight from HS into the NHL. They have lived the extremes of the development curve. While my preference is he's either in Minny again (preferred) or Ra-cha, pretty sure that they'll pick the right spot for him based upon their own experiences.

I have high expectations for Mittelstadt, but I think a sophomore year of school would do him good. Then AHL for a season (plus a cup of coffee with the Sabres). Then, ready to go for 2020. That said, he's Casey Flippin' Mittelstadt. He's going to spark the Sabres to the playoffs next year.

Also -- don't look now -- but he and Linus Weissbach are tied for points going into the two-game Badgers/Gophers weekend. I hope they each rack up 2+2. Mittelstadt is clearly too busy winning Nobel prizes to focus on his game to outscore the 7th-round pick.

Botterill is still (IIRC) the record holder w/ most WJC Gold medals & Housley went straight from HS into the NHL. They have lived the extremes of the development curve. While my preference is he's either in Minny again (preferred) or Ra-cha, pretty sure that they'll pick the right spot for him based upon their own experiences.

They will have him do pullups to decide. 1-5 back to Minn, 6-10 to Rochester. Over 10 to the Sabres.

This. Posters are passing judgement based on their own bias.

Where Casey plays should be based on what’s best for Casey.

I have high expectations for Mittelstadt, but I think a sophomore year of school would do him good. Then AHL for a season (plus a cup of coffee with the Sabres). Then, ready to go for 2020. That said, he's Casey Flippin' Mittelstadt. He's going to spark the Sabres to the playoffs next year.

Also -- don't look now -- but he and Linus Weissbach are tied for points going into the two-game Badgers/Gophers weekend. I hope they each rack up 2+2. Mittelstadt is clearly too busy winning Nobel prizes to focus on his game to outscore the 7th-round pick.

Weissbach is a good example of not being afraid of over agers at the draft.

There’s no way Mittelstadt plays 3 post draft seasons outside the NHL.

He’ll risk leaving too soon, confident in his abilities. Like Luke from Dagobah.

Can we add Casey Nelson to this list again?

Feels like I’m the only one talking about him.

He’s not “good” yet and I’m not a believer, but he is mostly holding his own.

He’s kinda reminding me of Pysyk a bit.

Is this the first unexpected fruit of “development” we’ve had since Butler, Gerbe and Kaleta a decade ago?

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Is this the first unexpected fruit of “development” we’ve had since Butler, Gerbe and Kaleta a decade ago?

Yes please. I remember when he signed here there had been several other teams courting him. Also not saying I'm optimistic he's a top 6 on a good team but he has played pretty well of late.

Yes please. I remember when he signed here there had been several other teams courting him. Also not saying I'm optimistic he's a top 6 on a good team but he has played pretty well of late.

He's 25, which isn't an age where it's crazy to finally break into the NHL. I'd also like the message that would send. I'm definitely rooting for him.

He's 25, which isn't an age where it's crazy to finally break into the NHL. I'd also like the message that would send. I'm definitely rooting for him.

Kid at least knows how to make an outlet pass unlike a few of our D.... As Phil said tape to tape. Positionally he has gotten a lot better though he could still stand to gain 20 lbs. Saw some toughness havent seen out of him before. Oh and he has a nice shot and can skate. Hope he keeps working on his D zone and improvingnphysically.

I watched the Minn 4-2 win over Wis tonight.  Casey had some moments where he was the most skilled player on the ice, but he also didn't convert a few point blank chances.  Weissbach also had some nice moments for the Badgers.

You can't base an opinion based soley on one game's performance, but after watching Casey at the WJC and about 6 Gopher games, I think he probably needs another year in college.  I want to see him dominate the NCAA before going pro.  He is very close to being a dominate player and one more year should do it.

I watched the Minn 4-2 win over Wis tonight. Casey had some moments where he was the most skilled player on the ice, but he also didn't convert a few point blank chances. Weissbach also had some nice moments for the Badgers.

You can't base an opinion based soley on one game's performance, but after watching Casey at the WJC and about 6 Gopher games, I think he probably needs another year in college. I want to see him dominate the NCAA before going pro. He is very close to being a dominate player and one more year should do it.

I agree. His other option is a full Rochester year, aka CJ Smith.

I also think Olofsson needs a year in Rochester. I think 2018 will be better but we have another year of growth before we challenge for the playoffs.

He has gotten way better. Before he was just getting run over or run by. Not sure what his upside is but playing defense is not easy and takes time to learn

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.