Sabres Prospects 2017-2018

Doohickie

Chris Taylor was on GR last Friday.

Some good stuff particularly about Nylander that starts at 4:05 left

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/02-02-amerks-head-coach-chris-taylor-howard-and-jeremy

Interesting listen sounds like CT feels like Nylander is turning a corner for the better... I hope so.

Would it be fair to say that next season will be do or die in regards to his long-term outlook?

If he is 22 next season then yes, I think we are severely underestimating how much the injury derailed him.

if he gets back on track by the end of the season all will be well.    Have him add some muscle in the off season and some might be surprised where the kid will end up.

I can see the frustration in his eyes, he knows that litterly everyone had and still has big hopes for him to become what his bigbrother has become

and more to that, together with injuries and a bad self esteem id say unless he gets the right mentor in near future his career might go down the drain.

The kid has enormous presure on him, his father was a big name in NHL, and now his big brother is a important key in NHL, easier said

than done to live up to this unless u have the right mentor which i dont believe he has. 

I don't think he is that fragile, the Cal O'Reilly thing might have been worse than this.   The kid is just coming back from a major injury he'll be fine.

If he is 22 next season then yes, I think we are severely underestimating how much the injury derailed him.

if he gets back on track by the end of the season all will be well.    Have him add some muscle in the off season and some might be surprised where the kid will end up.

I don't think he is that fragile, the Cal O'Reilly thing might have been worse than this.   The kid is just coming back from a major injury he'll be fine.

Yea the good news is he won't even be 20 until March.  He could potentially sit in Rochester another season and it wouldn't even be weird.  Hearing more about his injury and the not skating for 2 months stuff, it really makes sense why this season he has been mediocre.  Sounds like the coaches are working with him and being patient, so that is good. I'm not going to worry about Nylander at all until this time next year. 

According to the audio, Nylander's first real games back were just before the world juniors. I am starting to think it isn't that he isn't interested, it is that he isn't in shape to stay up with plays consistently. 

Listening to Chris Taylor talk about earning spots, playing correctly, and most goals aren't highlight reel goals, playing the right way... I have a little hope for us. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

Listening to Chris Taylor talk about earning spots, playing correctly, and most goals aren't highlight reel goals, playing the right way... I have a little hope for us. 

Yes, that's exactly what I want to hear from him.

I hope that HCPH adopts a similar stance next year when the Sabres are hopefully aspiring to compete in the NHL.  I think this year was planned to be a sh1tshow at the NHL level; they had to unlearn all the crap DD, Nolan & Rolston taught them, get them into a different mindset, then hopefully with the addition of some fresh, properly developed Rochester blood the big team can play some winning hockey.  I hope next season we'll hear more from HCPH about playing the right way and earning roster spots (and he'll put his money where his mouth is).

I think you might be right.

My hope is that they expected this tire fire and told HCPH not to sweat this season.  Can he do the right things next year though?  I hope so, but if he doesn't he needs to go.  Taylor seems to be doing all the right things, and bringing him up would be a boost to the newly promoted prospects I would think.

I think you might be right.

My hope is that they expected this tire fire and told HCPH not to sweat this season.  Can he do the right things next year though?  I hope so, but if he doesn't he needs to go.  Taylor seems to be doing all the right things, and bringing him up would be a boost to the newly promoted prospects I would think.

Any boost to the newly promoted prospects from Rochester (are we sure there’ll be any, besides Ullmark and Guhle?), is negligible relative to the effect a new coach would potentially have on our actual core players. That’s what I’d be interested in.

Any boost to the newly promoted prospects from Rochester (are we sure there’ll be any, besides Ullmark and Guhle?), is negligible relative to the effect a new coach would potentially have on our actual core players. That’s what I’d be interested in.

We literally just did that and I would say that it didn't impact some of those core players at all. 

We literally just did that and I would say that it didn't impact some of those core players at all.

Kane and Eichel have played the best hockey of their careers, probably Lehner too.

Okposo and Reinhart sucked early, but have turned things around. Same thing to a lesser extent with Risto.

Sorry, that was poorly worded on my part.

Why I was trying to say is that, the effect the new coach has on our current roster players, for better or worse, is more important that any added boon the call-ups might get from such a coach promotion.

Edited by Thorny

According to TSN, our lord and saviour Casey Middelstadt is the fifth-best prospect outside the NHL.

Apparently the wrath of god is expected to rain down on their offices Tuesday.

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-top-50-nhl-affiliated-prospects-tsn-go-1.989926

Asplund and Nylander also on the list.

Interesting to me that Nylander still ranks just 10 slots slots below Kyrou and 4 below Bellows, the two scoring wingers I see frequently targeted on this board.

Article does not explain the selection methodology.

*Edit. I now see that it appears to be by Craig Button

Edited by Mick O’Manly

According to TSN, our lord and saviour Casey Middelstadt is the fifth-best prospect outside the NHL.

Interesting to me that Nylander still ranks just 10 slots slots below Kyrou and 4 below Bellows, the two scoring wingers I see frequently on this board.

"How can we get people to read this article and generate clicks?"

"Put a bunch of Buffalo players on it."

For the hype Casey gets, and I know his team is supposedly pretty barren offensively, but the dude hasn't had close to the D+1 season that people he gets compared to often have had recently. 

I like him, but we should be cautious about expectations. For example, Kyle Connor more than doubled Casey's scoring rate. 221% of his production, in fact, and two years later he's just now putting up a pretty solid NHL rookie campaign on a stacked team. 

Keller scored at a 70% higher rate, and after a lightning hot start has faded to the background of Calder talks. Still a nice rookie season and a nice player. 

Boeser was also almost 70% more productive in his respective season than Casey, and still took 2 more seasons to break into the league as a rookie hot shot. 

I'll be happy if Casey is a good top six forward someday 3,4 years down the line, and anything more, anytime sooner is exceeding expectations for me.

For the hype Casey gets, and I know his team is supposedly pretty barren offensively, but the dude hasn't had close to the D+1 season that people he gets compared to often have had recently. 

I like him, but we should be cautious about expectations. For example, Kyle Connor more than doubled Casey's scoring rate. 221% of his production, in fact, and two years later he's just now putting up a pretty solid NHL rookie campaign on a stacked team. 

Keller scored at a 70% higher rate, and after a lightning hot start has faded to the background of Calder talks. Still a nice rookie season and a nice player. 

Boeser was also almost 70% more productive in his respective season than Casey, and still took 2 more seasons to break into the league as a rookie hot shot. 

I'll be happy if Casey is a good top six forward someday 3,4 years down the line, and anything more, anytime sooner is exceeding expectations for me.

More than fair.

But he does have that certain, “je ne sais quoi” about him, if you take my meaning.

Interesting to me that Nylander still ranks just 10 slots slots below Kyrou and 4 below Bellows, the two scoring wingers I see frequently targeted on this board.

*Edit. I now see that it appears to be by Craig Button

Mittelstadt will smite all enemies. Craig Button, you just made the list buddy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.