Bogosian Blames DB's System

bob_sauve28

Also fair.

Does PH as HC mean I'm going to see, hear, and read "Wimpley" and "hit 'em with your purse" references?

I'm really hoping not.

No "hit 'em w/ your purse" lines. Jury's still out on the other. ;)

Also, we may get a "no matter how many f###ing times you pass it to him, Stephane Richer WILL NOT start wearing b&g. Wake the f### up!" :p

Edited by Taro T

Bogo is many things but slow isn't one of them.

I think Bogo can bounce back

Sure he can, he had a really awful year. Had a career low shots last season and his shooting percentage was very low. His offense will no doubt bounce back but i don't think his problems were all on Bylsma. In Bylsma's first season as Sabres HC, Bogo scored 7 goals (second most of his career) and 17 assists (tied for second most of his career).

If Housley can turn Bogo into a true top 4 D then he deserves coach of the year.

Absolutely but thats a tough task. Bogo is 27 and entering his 10th season in the NHL. I think we've seen a large enough sample size now of him to know what kind of player he is. Odds are good he'll be a 5-7 goal scorer next season since he'll get more shots on net and his shooting % should improve slightly, but there is still a lot of his game that needs to be polished.

If others on the team, the media and a good majority of fans can blame DBs system why not Bogasian ? Good for him. He's trying to use the positive changes around the team as a springboard to possibly have a bounceback year. All the power to him and I hope it works. 

He wears "47" for a reason.  No one notices him being around.  All you see with his name in the line up is his "$$" figure.  We got rid of the last player who had talent with a high cap that had run his course in Ennis.  Can we see him have a breakout in the teams new system and then ship him out of town.  Replace him immediately with a filler. 

More details, eh?

Surprises can be both good and bad and often are.

I can't speak for 11, but I'm guessing he means that Bogo is going to have a big bounceback season.

I'll hearken back to the words of the greatly-missed X. Benedict after the Myers-Kane-Bogo trade:  he spoke highly of Bogo and said that Bogo was better than Myers.

I'm a little confused by Bogo's comments.  In 2015-16 he had one of his best seasons and his second half that year was some of the best hockey he ever played.  In fact, in the last 26 games, Bogo scored 6g w 10a and a +9. (He was 7-17 and -11 for the season).  If DD's system was so bad for him, why did he thrive in it one season and stink in it the next?  I'm glad he is looking forward to working with Housley and I hope he come close to earning his blotted pay check this season; however, while DD's system may have contributed to some of his issues last season, I think much of his failure last year were on him. 

Edited by GASabresFan

Here's something I've never heard anyone mention, but some things have me speculating about.

Terry Murray handled the D and preached the fortress box of the Kings first cup team. Bylsma was all about stretch passes and grinding the down. Sabres have spoken about the lack of playing like a cohesive five-man unit.

Is it possible that Murray and Bylsma were not on the same page, that their two systems weren't compatible, and that Murray had more power than your typical assistant because family?

Here's something I've never heard anyone mention, but some things have me speculating about.

Terry Murray handled the D and preached the fortress box of the Kings first cup team. Bylsma was all about stretch passes and grinding the ###### down. Sabres have spoken about the lack of playing like a cohesive five-man unit.

Is it possible that Murray and Bylsma were not on the same page, that their two systems weren't compatible, and that Murray had more power than your typical assistant because family?

I dismiss this theory out of hand because it doesn't show Bylsma in the worse light possible.

And did Bogo just admit that he wasn't able to adapt?

I dismiss this theory out of hand because it doesn't show Bylsma in the worse light possible.

Absolutely. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The biggest mistake GMs/Coaches make is to ask players to fill a role they aren't a good fit for. Bogo was being asked to play in a way that doesn't make any sense in the context of how Bogo plays the game. Think about how many other times that has happened to this team in the last decade or so? Players are all individuals and they're all a little different and coaches have to recognize how to deploy those players correctly. 

Depends on how you spin it: Everyone has strong points and weak points, and no matter how hard you try sometimes things aren't a good fit. DB's system for D required good long-distance passing and surveying the entire ice to make that pass. Those seem like rather hard things to practice if your skills are weak there. If you're strong skills are rushing the puck and making good short passes (as we've seen with the Sabres, those can be harder than they look), Housley's system is (likely) to be good for you.

Agreed

I'm so conditioned to checking the Avatar to know who's posting, that your change is killing me. Not that it's bad just that I have to do a doubletake everytime I run across it.

Last year was a catastrophe for a bunch of the players on this team. I think a change will help most of them out but not all. No clue who'll be on either list. I'm hoping Samson and Bogo move to the good list. 

Absolutely. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The biggest mistake GMs/Coaches make is to ask players to fill a role they aren't a good fit for. Bogo was being asked to play in a way that doesn't make any sense in the context of how Bogo plays the game. Think about how many other times that has happened to this team in the last decade or so? Players are all individuals and they're all a little different and coaches have to recognize how to deploy those players correctly. 

I partially agree.   For a team to have success, each player needs to play the system they're being asked to play.     If Bogo is unwilling to adapt, then that's on him, not the coach.    

What was so unreasonable about what Bylsma asked him to do?    He's an NHL level defenseman who should be able to adapt to different systems, assignments, etc.. 

I partially agree.   For a team to have success, each player needs to play the system they're being asked to play.     If Bogo is unwilling to adapt, then that's on him, not the coach.    

What was so unreasonable about what Bylsma asked him to do?    He's an NHL level defenseman who should be able to adapt to different systems, assignments, etc.. 

Why does anyone think Bogo wasn't willing?

Edited by d4rksabre

I'm so conditioned to checking the Avatar to know who's posting, that your change is killing me. Not that it's bad just that I have to do a doubletake everytime I run across it.

Last year was a catastrophe for a bunch of the players on this team. I think a change will help most of them out but not all. No clue who'll be on either list. I'm hoping Samson and Bogo move to the good list. 

I think that's right. When you sense you are on a sinking ship it can make the hockey harder.

Why does anyone think Bogo wasn't willing?

I agree. Sometimes it isn't a matter of will the player adapt, but *can* they adapt. Darien Hatcher would never be a mobile, puck moving defenseman. Tyler Ennis will never be a power forward.

This group of defenseman will need his toughness.   I think that alone makes him a valuable member that at this time I wouldn't want to part with. 

Hey if he finds the scheme to be a good fit for him, I'm good with that. 

I think he could be better under Housley, they all can, BUT the big question will be how fast it comes together and if there will be a lot of growing pains adjusting to a complete change in philosophy. So the question is who, if anyone, will be there to cover when Bogo gets caught up ice? Nashville had Rinne back there and he is good on breakaways and odd man rushes. Lehner? Not so sure. Sucked in shoot outs so.............. Until the forwards also learn to make quick adjustments and cycle back for the D we could be in trouble. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.