Bogosian Blames DB's System

bob_sauve28

Can Bogosian be a major asset?

From the wgr55 article:

Phil Housley did wonders with the defensemen the past four seasons in Nashville and Bogosian can't wait to work with him, “In my short conversations I've had with him, I really like where he's going and where he's coming from.” “Skating is definitely my strong point,” Bogosian said. “Last year and the year before I felt like I was handcuffed back there. I don't think I got a chance to play my game in the way I know I can play and I'm just looking forward to a new start and play my game which is jumping up into the play.”

Thoughts?

From the wgr55 article:

Phil Housley did wonders with the defensemen the past four seasons in Nashville and Bogosian can't wait to work with him, “In my short conversations I've had with him, I really like where he's going and where he's coming from.” “Skating is definitely my strong point,” Bogosian said. “Last year and the year before I felt like I was handcuffed back there. I don't think I got a chance to play my game in the way I know I can play and I'm just looking forward to a new start and play my game which is jumping up into the play.”

Thoughts?

Because you are as slow as balls.

He's really not that slow. But one of his strengths is jumping in on the play in the offensive side of things. Gotta let him do that.

His top end speed is above average, but he's slow out of the gate.     And that get's him in trouble in the d-zone.

From the wgr55 article:

Thoughts?

Bogosian might have the same issue other players will have early in the season. Finding out that it is actually legal to pkay aggressive hockey in the "new" NHL. F### Bylsma.

Of course, it could be that Bogo is only a $2MM/yr player like TB suggests. But I still expect he COULD be a true 3/4. C'mon Wimpley, show us you are the D whisperer you've been billed as. MIGHT even forgive you hauling Peca (?) down on your powerplay in game 6. Nah. THAT kept the Sabres from losing in 6 to Detroit. It wasn't the biggest screw job that year (that was Kerry Frasier in game 2) but it was still important.

Bogosian might have the same issue other players will have early in the season. Finding out that it is actually legal to pkay aggressive hockey in the "new" NHL. F### Bylsma.

Of course, it could be that Bogo is only a $2MM/yr player like TB suggests. But I still expect he COULD be a true 3/4. C'mon Wimpley, show us you are the D whisperer you've been billed as. MIGHT even forgive you hauling Peca (?) down on your powerplay in game 6. Nah. THAT kept the Sabres from losing in 6 to Detroit. It wasn't the biggest screw job that year (that was Kerry Frasier in game 2) but it was still important.

If he does come back and become a pretty good number 4 that would be a real bonus. Almost like acquiring a new player.

He is not fast but does have pretty decent skating mechanics, size, a decent shot but has what might be called a Drew Stafford attitude. The dude just seems checked out a lot. His attitude might be his biggest liability.

If he does come back and become a pretty good number 4 that would be a real bonus. Almost like acquiring a new player.

He is not fast but does have pretty decent skating mechanics, size, a decent shot but has what might be called a Drew Stafford attitude. The dude just seems checked out a lot. His attitude might be his biggest liability.

If Housley can turn Bogo into a true top 4 D then he deserves coach of the year.

The dude just seems checked out a lot. His attitude might be his biggest liability.

To be fair, a vast majority of the team seemed checked out at the end of the year. I'm hoping that a new coach, some new blood and a big change in attitude can turn this team around to at the very least be respectable. Bogo is just one of the players whose future with the team is on the line this year.

To be fair, a vast majority of the team seemed checked out at the end of the year. I'm hoping that a new coach, some new blood and a big change in attitude can turn this team around to at the very least be respectable. Bogo is just one of the players whose future with the team is on the line this year.

How are you doing?  Dried out yet?

+++++

I think that there is great potential for many players, including Bogo, that were misused the past 2 years to turn it around.

Housley could be in line for the Jack Adams, but also in line to flop as a HC.

At this time of year my hopes always rise.

Bogo had a lot more things going wrong than Dan not letting him do what he wants, I can say that right now. 

Also fair.

Does PH as HC mean I'm going to see, hear, and read "Wimpley" and "hit 'em with your purse" references? 

I'm really hoping not.

How are you doing?  Dried out yet?

+++++

I think that there is great potential for many players, including Bogo, that were misused the past 2 years to turn it around.

Housley could be in line for the Jack Adams, but also in line to flop as a HC.

At this time of year my hopes always rise.

I don't want to jinx it because it's not over yet but so far I've been blessed. I'm ok, family is ok, house is ok. I work in the medical field so this is my 3rd straight day of being at a hospital a part of their disaster team. I'll most likely be here for the foreseeable future. Many many others haven't been as fortunate. It's nothing short of heart breaking. Thanks for asking. With all the turmoil in the world it is also heart warming to see how the communities have banded together to help each other in this time of crisis. 

As for the bolded, I'm built that way also, no matter how my head tells me one thing, I always am optimistic on our new season.

I'm built that way also, no matter how my head tells me one thing, I always am optimistic on our new season.

You kind of have to be.  Every year there's a team that comes out of nowhere to be a competitive team.  If you follow baseball, the Astros are that team in the American League. 

For the Sabres, they could be that team, but to do so they'll need to learn Housley's system, gel as a team, several younger players will need to come of age as NHLers, and it would be nice if at least one of Moulson or Gorges plays to their hype.  Unlikely?  Of course.  But hey, it could happen.

Personally, I think after Bylsma's reign, last year's carryovers will see the superiority of Housley's system and work overtime to learn how to execute it.  They're tired of losing and will exhibit a lot of self-discipline, and will also hold the new players to a high standard.  No one will get a free ride.  The Sabres could be this year's breakout team if they get a few breaks.

Edited by Doohickie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.