Sabres Development Camp July 8-11

Brawndo

I'm curious as to how much off ice instruction they give prospects at these camps.  Are they in the weight room holding Casey's knees as he struggles through a pull up? Do they order Chef's lasagna for Laaksonen? Hell, they could get all one buffalo with it and have him take his meals with Kyle Williams...But are these kids leaving with diet and weight plans or is this strictly on ice stuff?

I'm curious as to how much off ice instruction they give prospects at these camps.  Are they in the weight room holding Casey's knees as he struggles through a pull up? Do they order Chef's lasagna for Laaksonen? Hell, they could get all one buffalo with it and have him take his meals with Kyle Williams...But are these kids leaving with diet and weight plans or is this strictly on ice stuff?

Welcome, Stu!

Did not realize until 1 minute ago that Mittelstadt was a center. Does that really mean that in 3 years, our centers could be:

Eichel

Reinhart

O'Reilly

Mittelstadt

?!

I doubt we'll want someone with his talent centering the 4th line. At least one of them will be playing wing, most likely Mittelstadt or Reinhart.

Edited by Drunkard

Did not realize until 1 minute ago that Mittelstadt was a center. Does that really mean that in 3 years, our centers could be:

Eichel

Reinhart

O'Reilly

Mittelstadt

?!

Yeah. Some players always gotta move to wing.

I wish I could find the write-up or the footage of some mega-all-time-media-generated-all-star team where they interviewed groups of players in the same room -- like, maybe 3 or 4 HOF centers (current or maybe future) were in the same session -- and they started ribbing each other about who was going to have to move to wing on their "team."

And hey: Welcome to the board!

All in all, a decent camp. IMHO it stood out as having the most skilled players as I've seen in camp in years. In years past you could tell some of the guys had no skill whatsoever and were very "confused" at times. This year felt different to me.

I wonder how much of that is the new front office/coaching staff?

He is the best of the 3 but he's never going to get a chance at RW in Buffalo.

no he isn't.  he has physical gifts and a cement head.  Both Fasching and Baptiste are better players. I like the kid and the hometown angle but he is not the best of the three.  Baptiste, Fasching Bailey. 

I'm curious as to how much off ice instruction they give prospects at these camps. Are they in the weight room holding Casey's knees as he struggles through a pull up? Do they order Chef's lasagna for Laaksonen? Hell, they could get all one buffalo with it and have him take his meals with Kyle Williams...But are these kids leaving with diet and weight plans or is this strictly on ice stuff?

They leave with a full work up from my understanding.

I doubt we'll want someone with his talent centering the 4th line. At least one of them will be playing wing, most likely Middelstadt or Reinhart.

or both with Asplund as center maybe.

Mittelstadt has good speed and even better shiftiness on his skates, but his stride is funky and choppy. They'll get someone to work with him on that and he'll be an even better skater.

Perrault had a funky style with bowlegs. Didnt stop him. Just saying maybe just refine it a bit, but the kid seems to get where he needs well. Might not want to teach it but doubt you want to change it much. Edited by North Buffalo

no he isn't. he has physical gifts and a cement head. Both Fasching and Baptiste are better players. I like the kid and the hometown angle but he is not the best of the three. Baptiste, Fasching Bailey.

I wouldn't go as far as to say cement head, and I still have hope for him, but he does lack hockey sense and I otherwise agree completely with this take. Edited by dudacek

I thought Nylander looked very good today. Way to early to talk about trading him. Kid has loads of skill.

I liked Asplund and Willman from the less heralded group (everyone already knows about Bailey, Fasching, etc.). Pu had some nice plays (if this kid makes the league, he'll be the butt of jokes for his entire career - pun intended). All in all, I agree that there was a lot of skill on display at the 3-on-3 games today.

He is the best of the 3 but he's never going to get a chance at RW in Buffalo.

Which is why he spent the second part of last year learning left wing.

At some point Okposo's contract will be problematic.

If he can't play, he goes to LTIR and the contract is not a problem. If he plays the contract is good value.

I wouldn't go as far as to say cement head, and I still have hope for him, but he does lack hockey sense and I otherwise agree completely with this take.

Perhaps a bit tough on the kid. I think he wants it so badly he overthinks almost every situation instead of playing instinctively.

Perhaps a bit tough on the kid. I think he wants it so badly he overthinks almost every situation instead of playing instinctively.

Agreed, you see the few moments he just relaxes his actual skill comes out.  Sometimes the best thing to do is to just do, not think.  

At some point Okposo's contract will be problematic.

I have a bad feeling this might happen by 18-19.

I'd expect you're a year early on that assessment, but his will be the contract all are moaning about after Bogosian's is off the books. (People will probably hate Kane's next deal too if he gets one.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.