Sabres Development Camp July 8-11

Brawndo

I've been saying it since before the draft... Mittlestadt is going to be a star in this league. If he was there at 8 you have to take him, easily BPA. It showed today, and I suspect he may only need 1 season at the NCAA level with his off the charts compete level.

I've been saying it since before the draft... Mittlestadt is going to be a star in this league. If he was there at 8 you have to take him, easily BPA. It showed today, and I suspect he may only need 1 season at the NCAA level with his off the charts compete level.

Agreed. I don't think he stays in the NCAA for more than one year. 

Interested to see if Nylander plays this year in an attempt to stagger the Nylander - Mittlestadt contracts 

Interested to see if Nylander plays this year in an attempt to stagger the Nylander - Mittlestadt contracts

I think Nylander will eventually be moved along with a bad contract. He's not a JBOT type of player.

I think Nylander will eventually be moved along with a bad contract. He's not a JBOT type of player.

JBOT doesn't like wingers with elite speed and shooting skills?

Some of the Nylander hate around here is getting ridiculous. Alex is NINETEEN years old. He's not developing any slower than his older brother, William, and actually played his first 4 NHL games a year younger than William. I agree that we need to see some level of AHL dominance from him this season, but the near total absence of patience among hockey fans is very aggravating. You're not an NHL bust if you don't hit the ground running like McDavid or Matthews.

By the way, can anyone comment on the performance from this year's early 2nd rounder, Marcus Davidsson?

I don't think it's wise to rush or delay development for the sake of the cap. If the players are ready, let them play and deal with the contracts as they come up. If not, keep them marinating in the minors.

How so? He seems a lot like Fat Phil

JBOT doesn't like wingers with elite speed and shooting skills?

Some of the Nylander hate around here is getting ridiculous. Alex is NINETEEN years old. He's not developing any slower than his older brother, William, and actually played his first 4 NHL games a year younger than William. I agree that we need to see some level of AHL dominance from him this season, but the near total absence of patience among hockey fans is very aggravating. You're not an NHL bust if you don't hit the ground running like McDavid or Matthews.

By the way, can anyone comment on the performance from this year's early 2nd rounder, Marcus Davidsson?

His compete level is a question mark.   Will he sulk after not making the big club and get off to a slow start in Roch again?    I'm not saying he's a bust at 19, he could develop into a star, but if the right deal comes along (eg to unload a bad contract) I think he's the first top prospect out the door.    

His compete level is a question mark.   Will he sulk after not making the big club and get off to a slow start in Roch again?    I'm not saying he's a bust at 19, he could develop into a star, but if the right deal comes along (eg to unload a bad contract) I think he's the first top prospect out the door.    

Dumping a top prospect to unload a bad contract is stupid, especially on a Sabres team in dire need of talent at all levels. 

Edited by LGR4GM

My hunger for Sabres hockey compelled me to watch the 3 on 3.

I thought Asplund was the best player. Good passes, a couple of goals (1 shootout). A few good steals and his defensive awareness was nice to observe. I see some Zetterberg in him.

Fasching was our best of the AHL wingers. Protected the puck well and created some offense. Playing with Asplund helped too.

Guhle was well suited for this format, a true rover. He made a good back check on a Bailey break.

Mittlestadt looked good, stick handling and skating are solid.

Ukka-Pekka Luukonen looks like a good goaltending prospect. Didn't lead his team to success but he made some nice saves.

Arturi Laaksonen showed some nice mobility and wasn't as scrawny as I thought.

Erik Autio was on a good team but had some highlights. Good invite and someone to watch at Penn State.

I expected more from Bailey, Baptiste and Nylander, but realize this is a short, summer development camp 3 on 3 tourney.

Dumping a top prospect to unload a bad contract is stupid, especially on a Sabres team in dire need of talent at all levels. 

Of course the return would need to be adequate... he wouldn't just be part of a salary dump type deal.

Kind of like WPG forcing GMTM to take Bogo with Kane.     I'm sure there's a team out there willing to trade a top D prospect for Nylander... if that's the case I force them to take on Moulson or Bogo's contract.  

And our bad contracts are almost gone

They're not.

Of course the return would need to be adequate... he wouldn't just be part of a salary dump type deal.

Kind of like WPG forcing GMTM to take Bogo with Kane.     I'm sure there's a team out there willing to trade a top D prospect for Nylander... if that's the case I force them to take on Moulson or Bogo's contract.  

They're not.

Pomminstein and Moulson are gone in two years, Gorges after this year, and Bogo in 3

Winnipeg did not force Bogo, Murray liked him as well 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.