3 Sabres file for arbitration

GASabresIUFAN

Per Hamilton

The arbitration hearings for Robin Lehner is July 27 and Nate Beaulieu August 4

I have a solid feeling that Beaulieu will settle before then and Lehner will go through arbitration.  The interesting question is what happens after his hearing.

I have a solid feeling that Beaulieu will settle before then and Lehner will go through arbitration. The interesting question is what happens after his hearing.

I don't think either of them reach a hearing.

Per Hamilton

The arbitration hearings for Robin Lehner is July 27 and Nate Beaulieu August 4

Very nice, thanks for that. The Lehner arbitration is the big one, I have no idea what that number is going to be. Side note, I wonder if it puts strain between a player and a GM when it goes all the way to the arbitrator at the very end, or if it's just considered business? 

Very nice, thanks for that. The Lehner arbitration is the big one, I have no idea what that number is going to be. Side note, I wonder if it puts strain between a player and a GM when it goes all the way to the arbitrator at the very end, or if it's just considered business?

I definitely think it causes strain. Basically the team will be placing all of your deficiencies under a microscope and arguing how bad you are.

I haven't seen the full list, but I'll be curious to see how many hearings actually happen across the entire league. It'll be a handful at best.

Read somewhere (here maybe) that of the 30 or so cases filed for arbitration, only 1 actually went to arbitration.

I posted some of this last week, but I needed to work on the data a bit, so I did that. I decided to order goaltenders by per 60. Meaning that I took what the goaltender should have given up per 60 based upon the distance of the shots(let's say 3), minus what they actually gave up (let's say 2.5) to give the goaltender a .5 per 60. Following that is the raw number. Let's say that he should have given up 100, and he gave up 90, he'd be at 10.

The numbers seem a bit positive, part of it is that I didn't bother with all goaltenders (if you play only a few games, it's likely your number is negative), and part of it is probably a math error somewhere.

The goal here was to create a chart with per 60 on one axis and contract on the other, to give an idea of what Lehner is worth, but with many expensive goaltenders being not so good, and some great though unheralded being very cheap, it's probably a useless chart.

The stat isn't perfect, my current theory is that a poor defensive player will have more goals scored on them than their shot distance would predict, but I think it's better than other stats out there. Do notice that (likely) the two most analytic teams traded for unheralded goaltenders who had really great years.

Darling .88 21.6
Bob .81 49.8
Murray .61 28.3
Price .59 25.2
Howard .57 13.4
Gibson .53 24.5
Grubauer .52 11
Raanta .52 14.2
Talbot .48 34.9
Holtby .44 27.5
Anderson (Ottawa) .44
Saros .43 8.6
Crawford .47 21.6
Quick .35 5.4
Nilsson .34 7.4
Smith .32 15.3
Greiss .31 14.5
Halek .29 7.8
Markstrom .27 6.6
Fleury .27 9.7
Reimer .25 9.8
Miller .24 12.5
Andersen (Toronto) .22 13.8
Jones .22 14
Bernier .22 5.2
Dubnyk .19 12.2
Rinne .19 11.3
Budaj/Bishop (Los Angeles - They had the same number) .15 8.8
Luongo .14 5.6
Johnson .14 4.6
Montoya .14 2.6
Lehner .13 6.2
Allen .13 7.2
Kinkaid .12 3
Lundqvist .1 5.5
Condon .1 3.7
Hutton .09 2.8
Elliot .08 3.1
Schneider .02 .9
Vasilevskiy .02 1.3
Lehtonen -.01 -.3
Rask -.03 -1.3
Bishop -.03 -1
Ward -.06 -3.2
Mason -.08 -4.5
Pickard -.1 -3.8
Mrazek -.11 -5
Korpisalo -.11 -1.4
McElhinney (Toronto) -.17 -2.9
Domingue -.19 -4.4
Lack -.34 -3.8
Khudobin -.37 -4.6
Newvirth -.38 -8.6
Kuemper -.43 -7.5
Niemi -.46 -13.4
Varlamov -.47 -10.6

• 2 weeks later...

only 4 days until Lehner's hearing... tick tock

I have every confidence that this will go to arbitration.  They might reach a deal before a decision is rendered, but both sides are going to be heard on this one.  Lehner is not Botterill's boy.

Plus if it goes to arbitration, the sabres can choose a 1 year "show me contract" with Lehner still a RFA next year. Major advantage there as why give him a 3 year contract, not knowing what you have, and have him a UFA in 3 years. Give yourself more time to decide

Plus if it goes to arbitration, the sabres can choose a 1 year "show me contract" with Lehner still a RFA next year. Major advantage there as why give him a 3 year contract, not knowing what you have, and have him a UFA in 3 years. Give yourself more time to decide

Or they don't believe he's the future starter now, and want an easily movable contract so their not stuck with a Molson type player in a year.

You sure about that? I thought it was a player's decision if they wanted the 1 or 2 year deal.

You sure about that? I thought it was a player's decision if they wanted the 1 or 2 year deal.

If player chooses arbitration, team chooses term (if applicable).

If team chooses arbitration, player chooses term (if applicable).

Team can't walk away from team selected arbitration.

If player chooses arbitration, team chooses term (if applicable).

If team chooses arbitration, player chooses term (if applicable).

Team can't walk away from team selected arbitration.

If I remember right, which is usually the case (I think), that the 3 players filed this time around and not the team.

One of the main reasons the Canadiens traded Beaulieu was fear that his 28 points would far outweigh his actual value to the team and in the eyes of the arbitrator.

Not worried about Lehner. If he gets awarded $5 million it will only be a year or two and won't hurt us down the road.

If signs a longer-term deal it will be for less and he likely will be worth it.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.