Vanek: Is this anything?

PromoTheRobot

You, sir, are clairvoyant!

I'll second that!

That was pretty amazing work!

Awe shucks......tanks guys. I was just spiffballin on an idea.

But it just seems to me they'd be a good fit for LW/RW 3rd scoring line. Personally, I'd like Reinhart centering that line, but dreaming put aside, this trade works.

Vanek is coming back baby. No doubts. His best bud in the best town in a promising team. 2 years 7-8 mil. Book it

Not sure I'd go that high, more like 2 years 6 mil, but he is worth a few shootout wins.  Sooner or later, we're going to need to find out what Fasching, Bailey, and Baptiste have got.

Effectively, that's what Detroit did.  He started in the offensive zone, no joke, 73% of his starts.

Vanek's goals for '16-'17.  Almost all tips and jams:

Guy is just such a natural goal scorer. Instincts around the net are up there with the best.

Vanek still knows how to score, and has shown he can still pitch in with faster players so I'd be very interested in his return. 1 year, 2.6mil like his last contract. Let the guy just get to the front of the net and tip and deflect pucks in. Plus we'd get the around the world back in the shoot outs  

• 4 weeks later...

If it's a low term one year deal sure.  I don't really want to get stuck in retreads from the 07-08 teams.  Pommer, improves the team at the expense of Ennis which I was good with.  However, I want to see a younger faster paced team.   I have respect for Vanek, but his days in Buffalo are over, unless it's really the right $$ on a 1 year deal.

Can't look at Vanek without seeing Tyler Myers, Ryan Ellis, Tyler Seguin, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Alex Galchenyuk.

I know Golisano probably would have been murdered but, with VERY few exceptions, if a team offers you 5 first round picks for a player you take the picks.

Absolutely. The fans in the long run would be glad they took the picks. In fact I'm not sure the majority wouldn't have a real problem then. Edmonton was out of their minds. The big thing was fans may have said we again won't pay big money and we can't compete. That was the sentiment before Pegula took over.

Absolutely. The fans in the long run would be glad they took the picks. In fact I'm not sure the majority wouldn't have a real problem then. Edmonton was out of their minds. The big thing was fans may have said we again won't pay big money and we can't compete. That was the sentiment before Pegula took over.

Let's make sure we're clear on the situation. Edmo was terrible in 06-07, but there were one season from going to the SCF in 05-06. Vanek was coming off a 43-goal (tied for 5th in NHL), 84-point, +47 season. Vanek was 2nd team all-star (it was fixed, some guy named Ovechkin was 1st team LW). It's entirely possible all those Edmo first rounders would have been in the 20s for picks, where the Sabres might have gotten two good NHL players maybe three, but would have had to luck out to get someone as good as it appeared Vanek was/was going to be. Hindsight is 20/20, but it wasn't a completely unsupportable decision at the time.

Let's make sure we're clear on the situation. Edmo was terrible in 06-07, but there were one season from going to the SCF in 05-06. Vanek was coming off a 43-goal (tied for 5th in NHL), 84-point, +47 season. Vanek was 2nd team all-star (it was fixed, some guy named Ovechkin was 1st team LW). It's entirely possible all those Edmo first rounders would have been in the 20s for picks, where the Sabres might have gotten two good NHL players maybe three, but would have had to luck out to get someone as good as it appeared Vanek was/was going to be. Hindsight is 20/20, but it wasn't a completely unsupportable decision at the time.

Exactly. Edmonton was good. If it wasn't for their goalie getting hurt (and most of our defense) they might have won the cup the year Carolina lucked into it. If we had let them poach Vanek they may have also been able to somehow keep Pronger and Spacek and their team may not have turned into the tire fire they eventually turned into. With so many moving parts there's no way to know for sure. 

Why anyone would not want to sign Vanek, a player who would significantly improve our 5v5 scoring, is beyond me. He's not fast enough? We're not drafting him. It would be like a two year deal.

Could it be off ice stuff? These GM'S know much more than we do I would think.

Boom!

As I've said previously:  there's a reason multiple coaches and GMs -- including those from his own Olympic team! -- have had Vanek for a little while and said "no thanks" to any more time with him.

There are plenty of guys whose production doesn't justify their negatives.  An in-decline Vanek is one of them.

Can't look at Vanek without seeing Tyler Myers, Ryan Ellis, Tyler Seguin, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Alex Galchenyuk.

I know Golisano probably would have been murdered but, with VERY few exceptions, if a team offers you 5 first round picks for a player you take the picks.

Whoa, it's gone up to 5 first round picks now? My goodness gracious this is worse than some of my fishing stories lol.

Exactly. Edmonton was good. If it wasn't for their goalie getting hurt (and most of our defense) they might have won the cup the year Carolina lucked into it. If we had let them poach Vanek they may have also been able to somehow keep Pronger and Spacek and their team may not have turned into the tire fire they eventually turned into. With so many moving parts there's no way to know for sure.

Mother####ing Jay McKee's shin pads...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.