Vanek: Is this anything?

PromoTheRobot

I certainly hope this doesn't happen. huge step in the wrong direction imo. Guy was always a floater who never showed up when the going got tough. Why do you think it is he's still available? Other GMs already know he is wasted money. Signing him would be very similar to Murray's signing of Fransen. Desperately grabbing at the dregs nobody wanted in an attempt to be better instantly. It would be a huge mistake and bad for the attitude on this team.

Somebody mentioned Stafford, same for him.

(and of course we should have taken the 5 picks, but that was then)

I think Tim Connolly is still available too.

I loathe Thomas Vanek, I mean loathe but this is just not a good take.

If Vanek were to come back, which I don't advocate, he would be an ancillary piece brought in to finish Eichel's or RORs set ups. He is not a core piece or anything other than a hired gun to pot some goals. He'd also be dirt cheap compared to his output. I'd have no problem with him on the team at this point.

I certainly hope this doesn't happen. huge step in the wrong direction imo. Guy was always a floater who never showed up when the going got tough. Why do you think it is he's still available? Other GMs already know he is wasted money.  Signing him would be very similar to Murray's signing of Fransen. Desperately grabbing at the dregs nobody wanted in an attempt to be better instantly. It would be a huge mistake and bad for the attitude on this team. 

Somebody mentioned Stafford, same for him. 

(and of course we should have taken the 5 picks, but that was then)

I think Tim Connolly is still available too. 

There are a lot of possible reasons not to bring him back, but if you ever watched him in front of the net, you'd know this isn't one of them.

I thought it was worse than that. I remember reading some rumor/article saying Pegula was prepared to make Vanek the highest paid player in the league which I believe at the time would have meant they would have needed to beat Malkin and his $9.5 million or something along those lines. Either way we dodged a huge bullet on that one. Thank you GMTM.

Wow. Didn't Pegula also want to keep Miller?

Woulda been a better left winger for Eichel than Girgensons...

But if the plan is to have him w/ a finisher already in the system such as Okposo or Nylander (not saying it is, but it would seem plausible) then Vanek would be less useful than putting Girgensons, Pouliot, or one of last year's kids on his other wing.

But if the plan is to have him w/ a finisher already in the system such as Okposo or Nylander (not saying it is, but it would seem plausible) then Vanek would be less useful than putting Girgensons, Pouliot, or one of last year's kids on his other wing.

Makes sense.

What's more important to the Sabres, getting Eichel's contract right or having Vanek for 1 year?

Bet we coulda had both. Eichel is just going to wait Botterill out and get whatever he demands, so the delay will not have made a difference.

But just to clarify: my Vanek excitement was more out of nostalgia than team need  ;)

Edited by ericcomposer72

I'm actually starting to like what Vancouver is doing.

Horvat, Petersson, Boeser, Juolevi, and Stetcher is a pretty damn good young core to start building around. And they still have 1 or 2 high picks left, at least. Some lottery luck and that is just as good as what the Sabres were looking at coming out of the rebuild. At least, if the lotto luck happens this year and gets them Dahlin or Svechnikov, not sure what 2019 looks like. 

They need to be smart in other areas though, and I don't think they've shown that ability yet (Eriksson's contract, yikes...)

I'm actually starting to like what Vancouver is doing.

Horvat, Petersson, Boeser, Juolevi, and Stetcher is a pretty damn good young core to start building around. And they still have 1 or 2 high picks left, at least. Some lottery luck and that is just as good as what the Sabres were looking at coming out of the rebuild. At least, if the lotto luck happens this year and gets them Dahlin or Svechnikov, not sure what 2019 looks like. 

They need to be smart in other areas though, and I don't think they've shown that ability yet (Eriksson's contract, yikes...)

They don't have an Eichel or anyone close, though. Dahlin I guess would get them the defensive equivalent, but that's unlikely to happen.

They don't have an Eichel or anyone close, though. Dahlin I guess would get them the defensive equivalent, but that's unlikely to happen.

For sure, they're like the Sabres as soon as the 2014 draft ended, without the "likely worst team in the league with last place guaranteeing McEichel" part. 

I'm interested to see Svechnikov develop this year, I think that guy has "best Russian to enter league since Malkin" potential. 

I remember people being very high on Veleno too, but that has tailed off. 

But they looked in a much worse way about a year and a half ago, versus now, with regards to their prospect pool. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.