Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

From friedman

Whether a family vacation or not, the reaction to Toronto coach Mike Babcock’s visit with Auston Matthews last weekend in Arizona was nearly unanimous: “That was fast.” Normally, coach and player would take a breather, especially since there was an exit interview.

At Dubas’s introductory media conference, Brendan Shanahan was asked if he was worried about it. “No,” he replied with a bit of a laugh. “It’s all part of coaching.” Two calls after the meeting was reported stood out. One former Red Wing said there was “no way” Babcock would have done that years ago, giving him credit for recognizing it was something he needed to do. And, a GM added that he was worried about a potential problem on his own team two years ago, but decided to let coach and player settle for a couple months before arranging a meeting. “By then, it was too late,” he said. “It festered with the player and we couldn’t fix it. If there’s any chance of something being wrong, you have to address it right away.”

Edited by Huckleberry

What a shame and waste.

The leading comment about Bartolo Colon made me legit LOL:

Bartolo Colon nearly ruined his career with fork knife but he returned bigger and better than ever.

One other thought: My younger kids want in on Fortnight like nothing else. I've held out, and stories like this aren't apt to help their cause.

What a shame and waste.

Bartolo Colon nearly ruined his career with fork knife but he returned bigger and better than ever.

One other thought: My younger kids want in on Fortnight like nothing else. I've held out, and stories like this aren't apt to help their cause.

Why?

What a shame and waste.

Everything in moderation.  It's that simple.  Unless you think your kids are going to be addicts.

Why?

Everything in moderation.  It's that simple.  Unless you think your kids are going to be addicts.

I know, I know.

They're fairly young. Over the past 10 years, my wife and I have noticed the trend whereby things that used to be the province of, say, 13-15 year olds, became something that 10-12 years olds were doing too. And so on. Disney is amazingly skilled at this. They eventually get 8 year olds gobbling up Pretty Little Liars, or some such sh1t.

So, my holding out with the kids is at least 2-fold:

1. I don't want them playing games that involve connecting to and having communications with strangers. My understanding with Fortnite and such (and older games like Call of Duty) is that that's part of what's available -- or what takes the game to another level -- a social media aspect to it, almost. Maybe I'm not understanding. I also get that even games like Madden have that capability.

2. I've had 3 conversations with parents of kids ranging from ages 9-14, and they've all said about the same thing: This game (Fortnite) is a different sort of animal. Proceed with caution.

I know, I know.

They're fairly young. Over the past 10 years, my wife and I have noticed the trend whereby things that used to be the province of, say, 13-15 year olds, became something that 10-12 years olds were doing too. And so on. Disney is amazingly skilled at this. They eventually get 8 year olds gobbling up Pretty Little Liars, or some such sh1t.

1. I don't want them playing games that involve connecting to and having communications with strangers. My understanding with Fortnite and such (and older games like Call of Duty) is that that's part of what's available -- or what takes the game to another level -- a social media aspect to it, almost. Maybe I'm not understanding. I also get that even games like Madden have that capability.

2. I've had 3 conversations with parents of kids ranging from ages 9-14, and they've all said about the same thing: This game (Fortnite) is a different sort of animal. Proceed with caution.

Fair enough.  My son plays.. he's played since 13 and is now 14.  My daughter does not, she is 10 going on 11.  It's really not much different than a few other games... but rather than take this thread off course I would say we could pick it up in the Video Game thread if you were interested in my take on it  (I play it quite often and no, I am not a prominent NHL prospect.... ) :)

I know, I know.

PS4 has parental controls to restrict the extraneous communication, as well as daily playtime limit per child/sub account. 

The Buffalo Sabres have been chosen to meet the Columbus Blue Jackets in the annual Kraft Hockeyville exhibition game. The contest will be held Sept. 25 at Clinton Arena in Clinton, New York, which is located 16 miles from Utica.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/18/sabres-to-meet-blue-jackets-in-hockeyville-exhibition-game-in-clinton/

I’ve coached at this rink, where the old Clinton Comets of the EHL played. The corners are almost like right angles, and there’s little room behind the goal lines. The lockers are literally like large closets, with benches along the walls and a toilet and sink at the end. I don’t know how they’re going to be able to expand given the small building size.

The Buffalo Sabres have been chosen to meet the Columbus Blue Jackets in the annual Kraft Hockeyville exhibition game. The contest will be held Sept. 25 at Clinton Arena in Clinton, New York, which is located 16 miles from Utica.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/18/sabres-to-meet-blue-jackets-in-hockeyville-exhibition-game-in-clinton/

I’ve coached at this rink, where the old Clinton Comets of the EHL played. The corners are almost like right angles, and there’s little room behind the goal lines. The lockers are literally like large closets, with benches along the walls and a toilet and sink at the end. I don’t know how they’re going to be able to expand given the small building size.

I've played in this rink. It's a true hicktown barn. Great place for hockey.

I might as well go. It's only 15 minutes from my parents house.

Edited by ubkev

Pretty sure that's the rink my one son had his team outshot 65-0 in a tourney once.

The team I was head coach for was making the final in Morristown @ that same time, which is the reason for the "pretty sure" comment.

My son's response to hearing the shot totals was "I only gave up 9 goals?" :thumbsup:

Is Rome the closer station or Utica? Because Amtrak is definitely the way I am getting there.

Rome is north and Utica is east of Clinton. Either way you’d have to get a car since the arena is not near the downtown areas or businesses. It’s south of Thruway exit 32.

Is Rome the closer station or Utica? Because Amtrak is definitely the way I am getting there.

I don't know where the Amtrak station is in Utica. The station in Rome is 11 miles to the rink in Clinton.

Rome is north and Utica is east of Clinton. Either way you’d have to get a car since the arena is not near the downtown areas or businesses. It’s south of Thruway exit 32.

I don't know where the Amtrak station is in Utica. The station in Rome is 11 miles to the rink in Clinton.

So Utica it is, then, because getting an Uber in Rome is near impossible.

Also, what's the date?

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.