Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

They interviewed a few people (including our AGM) and got turned down. I'm pretty sure the owner admitted to only offering peanuts for both his GM and HC positions. This automatically limits the pool of potential candidates to people who feel like they don't need the money or younger/unproven guys who are willing to work for peanuts just for the opportunity.

Yup. The Owner thinks he can low ball someone into the job and save money. It is the sort of attitude that helped make the Bills suck for 17 years. 

Don Waddell is now officially the Hurricanes GM & President

Yup. The Owner thinks he can low ball someone into the job and save money. It is the sort of attitude that helped make the Bills suck for 17 years. 

Don Waddell is now officially the Hurricanes GM & President

Because that worked out so well before.  It's nice to know that we won't have the longest playoff drought in the NHL anytime soon.

No, I mean his GM career in general.

Atlanta Threshers & underperforming USA Olympic teams. Fortunately, the dislike of the Candy Canes is strong. Donny in all likelihood won't disappoint the Candy Cane detractors. :)

Apologies, didn't quite scroll up far enough to see your post that Charlie was responding to. :beer:

Joe Thornton announces he torn his ACL and MCL again this year. He would like to return to San Jose next season

I don't understand why they are doing it before finding a GM.  It looks to me like they're signing on the local hero in hopes of pleasing the fans.

He is well respected in the room and he really wanted the HC Job as well.

Toronto Marlies win their series 4 straight. Meanwhile, the leafs bowed out to Boston, the Raptors were a huge disappointment and could not even win one game against the Cavs, and Roberto Osuna, the Jays ace reliever, has been arrested and charged with assault (presumably against a female although that has yet to be confirmed). The Jays have been either real good or real bad, with no happy medium. I am no Leaf fan, but respect what they've done there since signing Babcock. Still think most of their success can be directly linked to him. 

"I think it's obvious that I'm going to keep an open mind to making some changes, and I will make some changes," Rutherford told reporters. "I can't give you a definite answer on who that's going to be right now and exactly which positions, but we're a good team. We will be a good team going forward.

"I think it is fair to say this will be a different-looking team by the time we open next season. It doesn't mean there's going to be drastic changes and a lot of changes, but there will be changes in the areas that will become necessary."

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23456080/pittsburgh-penguins-gm-jim-rutherford-plans-upgrade-roster-playoff-ouster

Here's their cap

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/penguins

Not really sure what they plan on doing with that. No significant RFAs or UFAs. Only thing I can think of is Letang, but he had a great year, and his contract will be hard to move. The only real glaring under-performer that's hurting their cap is Hagelin

Edited by WildCard

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23456080/pittsburgh-penguins-gm-jim-rutherford-plans-upgrade-roster-playoff-ouster

Here's their cap

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/penguins

Not really sure what they plan on doing with that. No significant RFAs or UFAs. Only thing I can think of is Letang, but he had a great year, and his contract will be hard to move. The only real glaring under-performer that's hurting their cap is Hagelin

Outside of Guentzel, they have basically no one I really want. They haven't had a 1st round draft pick I think since 2012 and it shows. 

Outside of Guentzel, they have basically no one I really want. They haven't had a 1st round draft pick I think since 2012 and it shows. 

The wheels come off eventually, just like in Chicago.  Of course those teams have Cups to show for it as well.  There may be a day when the Sabres fans get to feel the same way again.  A few years, perhaps a championship and then... back to the bottom.

They drafted Sprong and Kapanen (part of the Kessel trade) since then in the first I believe.

It definitely shows, in their trophy case

Sprong was #46 overall and you are right on Kapanen taken 22nd overall in 2014. 

I don't get the trophy case comment? 

I just wish ourrrr team didn't have firsts because we were busy winning championships. It was just a passing comment

They don't have a lot because they traded those picks so they are less of a trade partner for Buffalo in my eyes unless they are trading a good rostered player under 25. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

I didn't particularly care for the humor in this, and NSFW language, but here's some Jack Eichel offseason video content from a series that Paul Bissonette is working on. 

https://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/biznasty-does-bc-episode-1/?_branch_match_id=430884781314566517

Terrible until Jack enters the clip

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.