Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

From friedman, made me laugh tbh.

It's funny regarding the call from the NHL, but honestly not sure how he's allowed to do that and not get suspended.  How is it any different than spitting at someone?

Ott wasn't suspended, either.

If I recall correctly, Ott didn't make contact with the player... or do I not recall correctly?

Perhaps I should have been more direct with the spitting... and said "spitting ON someone"

Steve Greeley staying as Buffalo’s AGM per Friedman

Just a bit of news while we await OT: Don Waddell is going to continue as GM in CAR for now...couldn't make a deal with Steve Greeley (BUF), and there are no plans to hire anyone in the near term.

Great news for us, but that's really odd to me. How do you not come to a deal to be a GM?

There is a distinct possibility that Carolina’s Salary Offer is less than what he makes now as Buffalo’s AGM

That and being GM for a team mired in mediocrity with a poorer fanbase and an owner that will not spend to the cap can't exactly be a fun job. I'm guessing he gets another offer next offseason and leaves us

I think the only reason he was in the running is because the more proven candidates didnt want the job.

Aside for the poor salary, it looks like a position that is more glorified assistant GM with the owner holding your leash. That guy brings meddling to whole new level.

Edited by dudacek

If I recall correctly, Ott didn't make contact with the player... or do I not recall correctly?

Perhaps I should have been more direct with the spitting... and said "spitting ON someone"

Thought Ott licked the visor in the faceoff circle.

Licking the visor is a wtf moment that may cause me to want to throw down. Licking my neck or face...I'd probably try to beat him unconscious.

Licking the visor is a wtf moment that may cause me to want to throw down. Licking my neck or face...I'd probably try to beat him unconscious.

You both recall it correctly.  To me, it's a distinction without a difference.

Damn right.  Although... I would probably laugh a bit too.

You both recall it correctly.  To me, it's a distinction without a difference.

I understand where you are coming from on that.  For me, the contact of saliva to another player is the problem...  It's certainly a fine line.

Steve Greeley staying as Buffalo’s AGM per Friedman

Just a bit of news while we await OT: Don Waddell is going to continue as GM in CAR for now...couldn't make a deal with Steve Greeley (BUF), and there are no plans to hire anyone in the near term.

Great news for us, but that's really odd to me. How do you not come to a deal to be a GM?

There is a distinct possibility that Carolina’s Salary Offer is less than what he makes now as Buffalo’s AGM

I think the only reason he was in the running is because the more proven candidates didnt want the job.

Aside for the poor salary, it looks like a position that is more glorified assistant GM with the owner holding your leash. That guy brings meddling to whole new level.

I think there's a distinct possibility the new owner in Carolina crashes and burns. He was interviewed on Elliott's Friedman / Jeff Marek's podcast last week, I was highly unimpressed. He basically doubled down on his stated preference for not paying market rate in the front office, basically claiming he'll do what he's done in other businesses and find people wanting a chance willing to work for the peanuts he'll toss at them. This could work, but couple that with the very real possibility he's actually everything PA accuses Pegula of, meddling minus the open checkbook... I dunno...

I think there's a distinct possibility the new owner in Carolina crashes and burns. He was interviewed on Elliott's Friedman / Jeff Marek's podcast last week, I was highly unimpressed. He basically doubled down on his stated preference for not paying market rate in the front office, basically claiming he'll do what he's done in other businesses and find people wanting a chance willing to work for the peanuts he'll toss at them. This could work, but couple that with the very real possibility he's actually everything PA accuses Pegula of, meddling minus the open checkbook... I dunno...

I wonder if Greeley stayed because the money in Carolina wasn't good enough. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

Elliotte FriedmanVerified account @FriedgeHNIC 16s16 seconds ago

More

TOR announces Lou Lamoriello will not return as GM

something seems fishy in Toronto. Heard some talk on radio last week from TO about this. Heard they will probably have them promoting from within and it may cause them to lose a few assistants. Also sounds like there may be issues with Babcock and they say he likes to run things, apparently Lou was good at keeping him under control.

Could see some fireworks in TO in the next couple years, and they won't be during any Stanley cup parades...

Crap want to see Toronto competitive so when young Sabres reach they Nadir they can kick the Leaves in their bksides!

Nope. They can stink forever. Moe-ray-all, Bah-staan, Filly, & the Otters are enough rivals; should be able to find a competitive 1 or 2 out of those. Don't need no stinkin' Loafs that don't smell. (Apologies to Millsie.)

Out of curiosity.... why?  Why would the Sabres need this?

Hard nosed and skilled.  Multiple cups.  If the Sabres could have signed him in 1998/99 they would have won the cup in 1999, IMO.  Instead he was a loyal soldier who returned the team that drafted him (sort of).

He knows the game like few others and would really help move the Sabres in the right direction.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.