Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

Why does everybody say / think that Antipin is Russian?

I just found out that he is not, indeed, Russian.  He is Kazakh.

And when he plays in this Europe versus North America thing, who does he play for?  Europe is closest, I suppose.

His father was a Soviet by birth and played most of his professional career in Russia. Perhaps Viktor was raised in Russia because of where his dad played? I really have no idea, this is just Wikipedia guessing...

Vik chooses to play for the Russia National Team despite being born in Kazakhstan, whereas his father always represented Kazakhstan in international play. 

Yeah, there's 2 teams downstate and 1 team in WNY. Every location has a distinctly different accent. Welcome to the conversation.

And then there is cross border philosophies with three teams nearby :)

Fine.  I give up.  :P

Why does everybody say / think that Antipin is Russian?

Because we're geographically challenged and insensitive.

I just found out that he is not, indeed, Russian.  He is Kazakh.

So? What's the difference? Sounds Russian to me.

And when he plays in this Europe versus North America thing, who does he play for?  Europe is closest, I suppose.

You think too much.

:P

In a forum where there is intense discussion over the difference between upstate and downstate New York, we’re lumping Kazakhstan in with Russia?

Why not, their capitals are only 2000 miles apart. ????

Edited by Mick O’Manly

In a forum where there is intense discussion over the difference between upstate and downstate New York, we’re lumping Kazakhstan in with Russia?

Doesn't Russia have like, 11 time zones?

It’s all relative to western NY. Specifically the WNY defined as west of I-390.

Nope logo owned by a guy in Danbury area... of course im sure hed allow it for a fee.

ESPN click bait... dont do it...

Everything is available for a price.

Vegas is so weird to analyze. Basically their entire team, individually, is having a career season. Yet, the team-level stats don't have any flashing neon signs pointing to a cliff they're going to fall off of. I think there's likely to be some regression (be it this year or next), but I don't think they're poised to totally crash like the Avs and Flames of recent past.

Gotta do something to make the stats geeks freak... :)

Not the best humor. Blond jokes for example. Generalizations are how we get to stereotypes and "immigrants are criminals."

Despite people not wanting to accept it, stereotypes by and large are created out of a preponderance of factual information that apply to a particular grouping of things.  I am leaving it generic because it really can apply to all kinds of things and not just people.  There has to be an exception to it at some point and then at some point the preponderance of exceptions make it no longer a stereotype... (even if uneducated people continue to use it).  In fact, if you want to insinuate that stereotypes are bad aren't you now creating a stereotype about stereotypes?

The Jets beat the Bolts 3-1 last night with their 1C, 1D, plus Kulikov out and their 3rd string goalie in net!!!

Meh.. the Lightning just had a weekend party.  I'd expect them to be a little off.  :)

Edited by LTS

Despite people not wanting to accept it, stereotypes by and large are created out of a preponderance of factual information that apply to a particular grouping of things.  I am leaving it generic because it really can apply to all kinds of things and not just people.  There has to be an exception to it at some point and then at some point the preponderance of exceptions make it no longer a stereotype... (even if uneducated people continue to use it).  In fact, if you want to insinuate that stereotypes are bad aren't you now creating a stereotype about stereotypes?

Actually I think stereotypes are a key part of cognitive function.  One thing that makes us human is that we can plan ahead.  In order to do that, you have to, at some level, be able to analyze known data to predict future events.  Stereotypes are one way of grouping the data for analysis.  Cheerful people seem to be more interested in helping; gruff people are not, so if you need help, approach a cheerful person.... stuff like that.

Our brains are adept at classifying things, sometimes even recognizing patterns in data where no pattern really exists.  We don't consciously look for patterns; we simply recognize them.  From those patterns we extrapolate the future.  Sometimes we're right and we're successful.  Sometimes we're wrong but still successful (in which case, a false stereotype is reinforced).  Sometimes we're wrong and recognize it so we change our view of a certain stereotype.  Oh.... all blondes aren't dumb?  Okay, got it.

But unless we group and organize data with our brains, all that data is just noise and not useful information.  Stereotypes are inherently part of our humanity.  Failure to refine those stereotypes in the presence of new data is where stereotypes go bad.

Yo yo yo 490 runs east to west. Everything west of 390 so it's only Rochester's extreme west side. If that makes me in CNY, so be it.

Yeah I don't agree with the 390 as the boundary. I think the 390 is where you enter this weird transition zone where CNY elements start creeping in but you haven't completely left WNY. The hard transition for me would be RT-14. Once you pass Geneva you're definitely in CNY.

Actually I think stereotypes are a key part of cognitive function.  One thing that makes us human is that we can plan ahead.  In order to do that, you have to, at some level, be able to analyze known data to predict future events.  Stereotypes are one way of grouping the data for analysis.  Cheerful people seem to be more interested in helping; gruff people are not, so if you need help, approach a cheerful person.... stuff like that.

Our brains are adept at classifying things, sometimes even recognizing patterns in data where no pattern really exists.  We don't consciously look for patterns; we simply recognize them.  From those patterns we extrapolate the future.  Sometimes we're right and we're successful.  Sometimes we're wrong but still successful (in which case, a false stereotype is reinforced).  Sometimes we're wrong and recognize it so we change our view of a certain stereotype.  Oh.... all blondes aren't dumb?  Okay, got it.

But unless we group and organize data with our brains, all that data is just noise and not useful information.  Stereotypes are inherently part of our humanity.  Failure to refine those stereotypes in the presence of new data is where stereotypes go bad.

Sure.. I liked what I said.. because it made no sense.  Yours makes sense and sounds all scientificky.  :)

You walk into a coffee shop and two people are talking.  I will let you apply any characteristics you'd like to the two people.  You overhear a part of their conversation but during the blanked out part someone sneezed and you missed that word.  What word was used?  Does the word you missed change if you happen to picture a certain set of characteristics?  It might not in this case because it's really a harmless conversation.  In other scenarios it might invoke a stronger response.

The phrase "You f _ _ _ e d me pretty good the other night at the party." will be construed different by different people. 

By the way, the missing word above is f o o l e d.  Shame on you if you thought something else.  :)

Also.. hockey is happening.

Yeah I don't agree with the 390 as the boundary. I think the 390 is where you enter this weird transition zone where CNY elements start creeping in but you haven't completely left WNY. The hard transition for me would be RT-14. Once you pass Geneva you're definitely in CNY.

Anything not NYC is upstate.

post-1429-0-00888600-1517444149_thumb.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.