Rumor: Buffalo Interested in Patrick Kane?

WildCard

Draft is deep at D.

We can get another Rasmus at 8 who will be a solid Dman for 10-12 years.

Reinhart can be a 30/30 guy for 10 years.

I wouldn't give up all that for (hopefully) five years of 30/40 from Kane

I say we stick to the plan and let out talent grow. That's what the Pens did and look where it got them.

Edited by dejeanerret

Draft is deep at D.

We can get another Rasmus at 8 who will be a solid Dman for 10-12 years.

Reinhart can be a 30/30 guy for 10 years.

I wouldn't give up all that for (hopefully) five years of 30/40 from Kane

I say we stick to the plan and let out talent grow. That's what the Pens did and look where it got them.

The Pens made a bunch of meaningful trades, though.

The Pens made a bunch of meaningful trades, though.

They also were handed Crosby and Malkin, to go with Fleury and Staal

Sorry, Eichel and Sam do not = Crosby and Malkin, heck, Eichel and Sam do not = Crosby

We can assume that the #8 pick gets another Rasmus, and Sam develops into a great player, but theres just as likely a chance that the #8 gets us a Stafford and Sam is another Vanek (decent player but not someone who is making you a contender). Theres not much special, or better then what others have, waiting in the wings in Buffalos pipeline thats going to put them over the top, and you can't just sit around and suck until one day all your prospects develop into good players and your a cup contender, your not going to just one day turn a switch and have a contender with only players you drafted. Some of those assetts will need to be moved in order to bring in good established talent to win now. If you can get a 100 point elite talent, for a developing decent forward and the #8 pick, thats a no brainer.

I don't get upset when this rumor surfaces every year. The daydreaming is always enjoyable.

The Pegula run Sabres (and Bills) have been massive failures, but if nothing else, their arrival as owners allows us to dream big like this. Which is cool IMO. That said, i don't see it happening.

To me this is not just a trade that would change the mentality of the locker room, it would change it.  It would take an abnormal amount of effort to restock with his ridiculous cap hit.  He's truly a fantastic player in his own right, but it makes no sense to trade McCabe, Reinhart, Nylander and a top 10 pick for someone who's had several off ice incidents coming home in the off season and would tear this team to pieces.

They also were handed Crosby and Malkin, to go with Fleury and Staal

Sorry, Eichel and Sam do not = Crosby and Malkin, heck, Eichel and Sam do not = Crosby

We can assume that the #8 pick gets another Rasmus, and Sam develops into a great player, but theres just as likely a chance that the #8 gets us a Stafford and Sam is another Vanek (decent player but not someone who is making you a contender). Theres not much special, or better then what others have, waiting in the wings in Buffalos pipeline thats going to put them over the top, and you can't just sit around and suck until one day all your prospects develop into good players and your a cup contender, your not going to just one day turn a switch and have a contender with only players you drafted. Some of those assetts will need to be moved in order to bring in good established talent to win now. If you can get a 100 point elite talent, for a developing decent forward and the #8 pick, thats a no brainer.

Is this directed at me? I agreed that trades will be necessary..

There are a lot of assumptions to be made.  To make room for PKane, JBott would have to clear out a lot of salary and there's no reason to assume that LV will take any of our 'trash' in the expansion.  We still need a defensive upgrade etc.  A lot has to happen if there was a trade for 88, just don't see it likely happening.

We can assume #8 gets us another risto? Wow, don't be so quick to assume....

Liljegren/ Makar are pretty safe choices. Liljegren being the safer of the two imo, and Makar being a possible Karrlson lite. Either way both seem like pretty slam dunk picks.

Liljegren/ Makar are pretty safe choices. Liljegren being the safer of the two imo, and Makar being a possible Karrlson lite. Either way both seem like pretty slam dunk picks.

There's actually a player in the draft named Robin Salo, from Finland. People in Finland say he's like a Risto clone, minus his height/weight - in terms of playing style, skating and point production. Salo played in the top league in Finland, just like Risto did prior to his draft class. He's given a 2-3rd round grade.

Why it's the annual P Kane to Buffalo rumor.  LOL.  Not happening.  Botterill isn't giving up Sam and our top pick for Kane.  He is not going to add a high paid star player near 30 at the expense of the core of the franchise.  We did enough of that stuff under TM.  Jbot is going to finally build the team correctly. 

We did? What players did we add that were highly paid and near 30 years old, that cost us any pieces of our core?

Certainly wasn't O'Reilly, Kane, Okposo, Bogosian, Kulikov, or Lehner...when we got them, they were all 25 years old or younger.

Some of them might be highly paid, but you could argue we won every single one of those deals, especially O'Reilly and Kane.

Some people hate Lehner and Kulikov. But some people, like me, think it was worth the shot. That's a different debate, but they weren't close to 30, nor were they highly paid, and they didn't cost what I would define as "core" pieces.

Gorges? I wouldn't say a 2nd round pick was part of our core. Moulson? We got assets for him, and then re-signed him when everyone still thought he had something left.

In fact, besides Ristolainen and McCabe, whom he got under great contracts, Tim Murray gave us the entire core we are so excited about...Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, Kane, Okposo, Guhle, Nylander, and you could arguably throw Antipin in there.

(And I think when we are really good the bulk of our depth will come from him as well, with kids like Asplund, Pu, Fasching, Smith, Hagel, Borgen, Fitzgerald, Nelson...and I wouldn't sleep on Nyberg, my pick for a surprise late-round prospect.)

* Tim Murray did a solid job, especially when you consider he oversaw a massive, full-blown, top-to-bottom rebuild.

Edited by Dank Dangleson

Why it's the annual P Kane to Buffalo rumor.  LOL.  Not happening.  Botterill isn't giving up Sam and our top pick for Kane.  He is not going to add a high paid star player near 30 at the expense of the core of the franchise.  We did enough of that stuff under TM.  Jbot is going to finally build the team correctly. 

Jbot? and how do you know this?

There's actually a player in the draft named Robin Salo, from Finland. People in Finland say he's like a Risto clone, minus his height/weight - in terms of playing style, skating and point production. Salo played in the top league in Finland, just like Risto did prior to his draft class. He's given a 2-3rd round grade.

there's a lot of defense depth in this draft, Salo definitely on the table for 54 or 89 (he'll be gone at 89 I think)

Incarcerated Bob is a hack like many other hacks on twitter. If you're going off what he says it's a lie like everything he puts out there once in awhile he hits and that's when people start believing he's more than a hack. If you can get one of the premier goal scorers in the league for just Reinhart and #8 overall I'd do it in a heartbeat and I'm sure the new Sabres GM would as well, it won't ever happen.

Incarcerated Bob is a hack like many other hacks on twitter. If you're going off what he says it's a lie like everything he puts out there once in awhile he hits and that's when people start believing he's more than a hack. If you can get one of the premier goal scorers in the league for just Reinhart and #8 overall I'd do it in a heartbeat and I'm sure the new Sabres GM would as well, it won't ever happen.

IB is not a hack. He's a reliable source.

If he's given a 2-3rd grade, he's not a Risto clone.

My orifices are yours, my lord.

Just for kicks and giggles-

Kane and Seabrook from Chicago- 17.3 cap hit for the next five years

for

Reinhart, Ennis, Bogo and #8 pick- Reinhart, Bogo and Ennis just over 10 mil cap hit on shorter contracts. 

Chicago wants to make changes after the last two years of first rd exits. Draft is in Chicago. 

Would love to see Kane playing with Eichel for the next five years.

Just for kicks and giggles-

Kane and Seabrook from Chicago- 17.3 cap hit for the next five years

for

Reinhart, Ennis, Bogo and #8 pick- Reinhart, Bogo and Ennis just over 10 mil cap hit on shorter contracts. 

Chicago wants to make changes after the last two years of first rd exits. Draft is in Chicago. 

Would love to see Kane playing with Eichel for the next five years.

No.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.