What can be a realistic hope for next season?

Sabre fan

Okay, we got rid of Disco Danny (and surprisingly EXGMTM) and there is hope anew for next season. Botterill (or whoever but pretty sure he's the man) will no doubt try to put his stamp on this team, and no doubt try to improve the defence best as he can. Who knows what that means? It is not like there giving away stud top-2 defencemen and everybody wants those, so getting that will not be easy. 

Meanwhile, it is surprising to see so many Flyers at the worlds, and you gotta think they are really itching to get back into the playoffs. Carolina has quietly amassed a real good young team who are certainly looking to move up too. New jersey always seems to be in the thick of things (have no idea how half the time but  they'll probably get Kovochuk back and have added some good young players too). 

All-in-all, next season will see the Leafs hoping to be even better, while Boston is always in the hunt for a playoff spot. Tampa Bay is a playoff team and only injuries kept them from being so this past season. Montreal will again ride on price's back into the playoffs where they'll be gone early again cause they got no one else).

So, I am wondering what we can expect for this team, and where they may be able to sneak into the playoffs. It seems there are too many teams for the available spots. I am afraid that even with new blood at the top, and maybe even some new players, we will not be good enough and at the end of next season we will be, yet again, lamenting this team and blaming the new brass. I still think our forwards are darn good, and the defence should be better under a new coach. Are we good enough???

I know the game is not played on paper, but I don't think Ottawa is that good. Karlsson is all world but Turris and Brassard don't scare me as top 2 C.

Boston's core is a year older, I can see them drop off.

Lundqvist has been great these playoffs but I he showed some cracks this year.

Health, like Tampa showed could swap out a few teams as well.

I agree.  Short of season-ending injuries in November to several players, there is no excuse for not making it this coming year.

hey Eleven...you actually from Bobcaygeon? I live in coboconk and my son's best friend lives in Bobcaygeon. Brayd Austin is from there as well I am sure you know...small world!

hey Eleven...you actually from Bobcaygeon? I live in coboconk and my son's best friend lives in Bobcaygeon. Brayd Austin is from there as well I am sure you know...small world!

I am not.  It's my way of having fun with another poster on this board.

Every year we justify that the other teams are ready to slip.  I'm not worried about the rest of the division.  I'm worrying about our team.

Feck what do we hope for.  Playoffs or bust.  Expect it.  Not hope for it.

Offensively with a better philosophy - we have the talent to be a playoff team.  We are not a playoff team defensively and one of three things have to happen 1) we make one or two significant player acquisitions.  2) The coach's scheme elevates the play of the defense.  3)  We become so good offensively we outscore teams and that becomes our identity.

Without Bylsma this team takes a step back as they learn a new system.   

I expect them to struggle the first half of the season, turning it around down the stretch as they get comfortable with their roles in the new system, but finishing just outside of the playoffs.  

I also expect scoring from guys like Ristolainen, Eichel, Reinhart to drop off because Bylsma's system was suited to them and predicated on them having success.   I expect an uptick in RORs production and Okposo's because as veterans, they'll quickly adapt to the new system.   And (hopefully) with some defensive help on the 3rd and 4th lines, ROR won't need to be on the ice as much.

The PP also takes a step back, but I expect the PK to improve.  

Lehner's sv% comes back down to average as some new 3rd/4th line role players play better defensively, suppressing shots against, but they'll still give up some scoring chances unless they completely overhaul the blueline (guys like Bogo, Gorges replaced). 

Playoffs? Maybe.

The roster is still an unbalanced, very little chemistry disaster.

Review it for a moment.

? - Eichel - ? (Baptiste? More Reinhart? Bailey?) my money is on Baptiste.

? - O'Reilly - Okposo (is Kyle coming back, and if so, did ROR and KO maximize each others production potential.)

Fill in which LW slot Kane will take if he isn't moved. Find a suitable LW'er to slot in the other.

The bottom 6, well, its a disaster. Who, where, how does it improve in to a contender bottom 6?

Playoffs or bust. It's a successful season if we get in, and a failed season if we don't. It's that black and white for me this coming season.

It is always that black or white for me.  Not making the playoffs should never be acceptable.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.