• Gilman
    • Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

Taking a long time... I know the draft ended Saturday...  not sure if ownership is volatile or just looking now for their kinda guy... a la McD type...  Will see if he can be successful and if whoever tpegs hires will be successful... doubtful Brandon is doing anything other than setting up the meetings (errand boy).  Sounds like TPegs is running the show.

Not defending TPEGs or Brandon, let alone McDermott... they haven't done anything yet.

Edited by North Buffalo

Friedman reportedly said on NHL Live on Friday that Russ Brandon is leading The GM Search for the New GM

Mother ######, ######. ######. Son of a bitch if this is true.

Please. Do you think owners do the phone work and set meeting times? Really, no they hand scheduling and such off. Setting up those things does in know way mean they are selecting candidates. Not surprised that certain members on here jump on it because of their hatred from Brandon. I don't want Brandon making football/hockey decisions either and frankly do not think he is or has in a long time. Brandon paranoia on here at times.

Taking a long time... I know the draft ended Saturday...  not sure if ownership is volatile or just looking now for their kinda guy... a la McD type...  Will see if he can be successful and if whoever tpegs hires will be successful... doubtful Brandon is doing anything other than setting up the meetings (errand boy).  Sounds like TPegs is running the show.

Not defending TPEGs or Brandon, let alone McDermott... they haven't done anything yet.

I think something will happen this week, unless their candidate is still in the playoffs.  But the NFL draft is complete, and now there's an NFL GM to hire, so I think they're gonna want to tie down the NHL GM.

Why? Calgary hasn't done anything in forever.

I mostly just love the team he has over there. No they haven't had a lot of success, you're right, but they're young, fun, and headed in the right direction. On top of that, people in Calgary REALLY want him to stay, so I take that as a positive. 

Mostly its the fun hockey thing, though. That team flies and doesn't stifle talent.

Why? Calgary hasn't done anything in forever.

He hasn't been a sterling success yet there, but when he took the team over they had missed the playoffs for five straight seasons and they've now made it two of his three seasons, even winning a round their first time back. I haven't loved every move he's made but he'd be a very legitimate hire IMO.

Here is the interview 3:58 is the Brandon Tidbit.

https://youtu.be/8UCS9ZKf1Ys

Friedman does go on to say the NHL is giving advice on who to interview.

He mentions Treviling again as well.

I think they should hire whomever Bettman suggests.  But only if it moves us into MFT status... or at least significantly closer. :)

Russ Brandon and his staff have quickly endeared themselves to the powers that be within NHL headquarters. It makes perfect sense that he would be the lead/ liaison between NHL and Sabres.

That being said, I'm betting on a Zito, John Madden tandem and expect it soon.

Russ Brandon and his staff have quickly endeared themselves to the powers that be within NHL headquarters. It makes perfect sense that he would be the lead/ liaison between NHL and Sabres.

That being said, I'm betting on a Zito, John Madden tandem and expect it soon.

Sources say?

After watching a few interviews, I've been thinking Zito would appeal to the Pegulas.

Madden as the coach? Not a lot of experience there, but he has had success.

Edited by dudacek

I'm still hoping for the Fenton-Housley combo, and out of the named candidates so far, I would be most pleased with either Fenton or Botteril.

Pretty solid list overall though.

From Elliott Friedman

Pegulas lead. Brandon and NHL at his side.

When he was asked to clarify the statement.

Yes I feel better now

Brandon's involvement sounds purely of the "schedule the meetings, get the coffee" type role if you ask me.

I'm still hoping for the Fenton-Housley combo, and out of the named candidates so far, I would be most pleased with either Fenton or Botteril.

Pretty solid list overall though.

Brandon's involvement sounds purely of the "schedule the meetings, get the coffee" type role if you ask me.

Yeah WGR touched on it this morning. Whaley "led" the coaching search for the Bills, too, which meant knowing phone numbers and talking to people to get the coaches in the building.

Some random DJ breaking the GM hire scoop would be sooooo Buffalo  :lol:

At what point does the Buffalo News see this and then immediately pull their own Pugula level house cleaning of their sports staff. WTF are those guys doing? :unsure:

People keep saying TP doesn't know what he is doing, but look at who he has interviewed and who he hasn't

He has interviewed Fenton, Botterill and Zito. These are 3 excellent candidates. Would any of us complain if TP hires one of these 3? I certainly won't (at least initially).

He hasn't interviewed Lombardi. An excellent candidate with 2 Cups, but also one with some large question marks because of style of play, and salary management.

Lombardi is not a "yes man". Would Pegula ever be able to meddle with the work of a GM who has won 2 cups in the last 5 years? Not a chance and is likely why GMTM was fired (although he didn't have the success to back up his moves). Pegula is likely going to pick a young guy who knows who the boss is (see McD).

And for those clamoring for a POHO, forget it. We've had that with Patty and Pegs said he regrets that was wasn't more involved with the past GM search. At least at this point, he's not going to relinquish that power.