• Gilman
    • Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

If it hasn't broke by tomorrow, I'll call some friends in the baby pens front office. They had no info for me on Sunday when we were playing. I'll see if they know anything tomorrow. They probably won't be able to say, but I'll see if I can get them drunk enough.

Botterill was named assistant GM in 2009 and Associate GM in 2014.

He was a captain, national team player and first round draft pick, played collegiately, was a grinder who yo-yoed between the NHL and AHL for 10 years. He won championships and had his career ended by a concussion. He's scouted, handled the cap and negotiated contracts. He has an MBA.

I'm comfortable with him without a mentor.

My only question was why the Penguins didn't hire him three years ago.

Because they have more than 1 person running the hockey department and they didn't have to.  They were able to keep him in the fold AND bring in another competent person.  When you get good people, hoard them as long as possible.

Sure, but from his perspective would he want to move from Rutherford's "apprentice" to somebody else's?

He might be GM in title, but that would really be the only difference, wouldn't it?

Botterill was named assistant GM in 2009 and Associate GM in 2014.

He was a captain, national team player and first round draft pick, played collegiately, was a grinder who yo-yoed between the NHL and AHL for 10 years. He won championships and had his career ended by a concussion. He's scouted, handled the cap and negotiated contracts. He has an MBA.

I'm comfortable with him without a mentor.

My only question was why the Penguins didn't hire him three years ago.

No question Botterill is ready for the next step, but we also did the same thing with GMTM and left him without oversight and where are we now.  

FWIW:

On Chris Drury/BUF: Rangers reached out this am...indicated organization declined request, not Drury. Wanted that cleared up.

Makes a big difference.

So, we've tried to talk to two young and up and coming FO guys, and been denied by both organizations. Looks like we're at least targeting the right guys I guess

I don't get a couple things about the Drury thing. The stories say the NYR told Drury the Sabres wanted to interview him and he said no because of domestic and experience issues. 

1) Why not take the interview?  If you (Drury) are trying to learn about being a GM, how does it hurt to listen?  He has valid reasons for not talking the job, but wouldn't it have been better to deliver those in person or on the phone directly? 

2) Who told the media that he turned down the interview?  Drury? the NYR? the Sabres?  Why was it in anyone's interest to give this tidbit to the media?

Now Drury looks like a DB, and the Sabres look like idiots and beggars.   

EDIT:

FWIW:

On Chris Drury/BUF: Rangers reached out this am...indicated organization declined request, not Drury. Wanted that cleared up.

That makes much more sense!  So the only DB's here are the NYR for altering the media.

Edited by GASabresFan

If the notion of keeping your cards close to your vest is a real thing then it is probably a good thing that we do not hear about the approvals to meet with candidates. It means that permissions have likely been granted.

Teams can deny permission for a promotional move?

I think so, if the teams view that the potential candidate for a job is in line for a promo.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS