• Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

@WGR550
Dreger - The Rangers declining to let Drury speak to the #Sabres did happen. NY views Drury very highly, sees a bright future for him

@WGR550
Dreger - I believe the #Sabres have interviewed Bill Guerin and Jason Botterill. Could also look to guys like Paul Fenton and Norm MacIver

So we've basically only visited Pittsburgh, as far as anyone knows. Again though, nobody leaked Murray at all when it happened, so don't be surprised if someone else is lurking out there.

Does he even have one of those to stake?

Way to ruin the joke. :angry:

:p

@WGR550

Dreger - The Rangers declining to let Drury speak to the #Sabres did happen. NY views Drury very highly, sees a bright future for him

@WGR550

Dreger - I believe the #Sabres have interviewed Bill Guerin and Jason Botterill. Could also look to guys like Paul Fenton and Norm MacIver

So we've basically only visited Pittsburgh, as far as anyone knows. Again though, nobody leaked Murray at all when it happened, so don't be surprised if someone else is lurking out there.

Or their precious snowflake didn't like the criticism he was getting for refusing to interview & they're trying to take the heat off.

(Their story is more likely, but the other one is more fun. :p)

FWIW:

Elliotte FriedmanVerified account @FriedgeHNIC  1m1 minute ago

More

On Chris Drury/BUF: Rangers reached out this am...indicated organization declined request, not Drury. Wanted that cleared up.

Sure. Sure, it was the Rangers...

This has me optimistic we don't hire him then. Botterill is just such a milquetoast pick

Are you defining milquetoast as "not a cutting edge analytics guy"?

Sure. Sure, it was the Rangers...

Are you defining milquetoast as "not a cutting edge analytics guy"?

Na, just not an exciting one. Fenton has never been picked and is very vocal on his success, plus he brings Housely; Chayka and Dubas and fresh and innovative; Maciver would bring Dineen and has the Chicago aura; Brisebois has been learning under Yzerman who has been, for my money, the best GM in the league since he's entered it..but Botterill? Just another time we're running back to the Pittsburgh well for me I guess, and there's nothing that stands out about him. Maybe it's because I don't know a ton about him, but when I hear that, it's very meh. Plus the Pens have had quite a few GMs, and had about the same level of success throughout. Not encouraging when looking for a guy who distinguishes himself

please, no futa

Agreed.

How long do you get to be Matthews btw?

Hmm, Botterill's resume to me looks pretty similar to Fenton's, except Botterill is younger, better educated and won the cup.

Same with McIver, except the cup thing.

Except that Nashville is a freaking defenseman factory, while Pittsburgh was thanking their lucky stars they got to add Trevor Daley.

I'm not even sure I could bring myself to shoulder shrug a Botterill hire. That doesn't mean it'd be bad, but...yea, milquetoast works.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Hmm, Botterill's resume to me looks pretty similar to Fenton's, except Botterill is younger, better educated and won the cup.

Same with McIver, except the cup thing.

Nashville has just such a unique roster, and Chicago has been amazing at supplementing talent after winning. Pittsburgh has been...what? They got Kessel and Connor Sheary? When's the last time a prospect, outside of Murray, has come up for them and been worthwhile? And yes I do know that's mostly because they kept trading away picks

Except that Nashville is a freaking defenseman factory, while Pittsburgh was thanking their lucky stars they got to add Trevor Daley.

I'm not even sure I could bring myself to shoulder shrug a Botterill hire. That doesn't mean it'd be bad, but...yea, milquetoast works.

You're right. If it wasn't for Crosby, Pittsburgh would just be Nashville.???? Edited by dudacek

Exactly. 

You're right. If it wasn't for Crosby, Pittsburgh would just be Nashville.

:lol:

That's the other really impressive thing about Nashville, they've been consistently competitive and a playoff team in the toughest division in hockey for a long, long time, and they've done it without, really, any big name forwards. 

Oddly enough, I agree Nashville seems like a more exciting organization.

I say odd because Pittsburgh wins cups and Nashville has been what Buffalo used to be: a perennial also-ran.

But judging a hire on the organization is pretty hit and miss (ask those who have shopped at patriots.com)

How do we know Botterill isn't the guy who put Pit over the top, while Fenton is who is holding the Preds back?

Edited by dudacek

Paul Fenton.  I'm shocked his name hasn't come up in the rumor mill.  The only reason I can think of is that Poile has told him that he will be taking Nashville over sooner then later.

One thing in Botterill's favor is that Pitt has stayed competitive and made big deals (Kessel) while staying cap compliant.  Botterill is allegedly in charge on cap management.  This year they have remained very competitive while losing their best two D for much of the year.  

Edited by GASabresFan

I say odd because Pittsburgh wins cups and Nashville has been what Buffalo used to be: a perennial also-ran.

But judging a hire on the organization is pretty hit and miss (ask those who have shopped at patriots.com)

How do we know Botterill isn't the guy who put Pit over the top, while Fenton is who is holding the Preds back?

Because I can't handle that rabbit hole 

Shall I just start referring to you as SmarmDacek? :p

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Here's another thing: Fenton is 57 with an abrasive personality who has been overlooked many times.

Botterill is 40 and has been a leader all his life.

Isn't the leader on his way up more intriguing than the grouch who missed the boat?

And if not for you, then for what Pegula is apparently looking for?

Here's another thing: Fenton is 57 with an abrasive personality who has been overlooked many times.

Isn't the leader on his way up more intriguing than the grouch who missed the boat?

meh

That's right, I can't even be bothered to capitalize or punctuate my emotional reaction to Botterill.

I mean, you're not wrong. Maybe he is the best hire, but there's nothing exciting about it for me. 

Edited by WildCard

And Justin Schultz.

And, of course, Chad Ruhwedel.

(Here's an factoid I found interesting:  Ruhwedel is from San Diego.  Pretty rare hometown for an NHLer, eh?)